-   -   OpenOffice.org alongside LibreOffice (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/709263-openoffice-org-alongside-libreoffice.html)

Pasha R 10-03-2012 09:54 AM

OpenOffice.org alongside LibreOffice

Hi all,

Is it possible to install OOo alongside LO on F17? When I try, rpm
complains that "file /usr/bin/soffice from install of
openoffice.org3.4-freedesktop-menus-3.4-9593.noarch conflicts with
file from package libreoffice-core-1:3.5.6.2-4.fc17.x86_64". Is there
a workaround?

Thanks.

Roger 10-03-2012 12:22 PM

OpenOffice.org alongside LibreOffice

Is it possible to install OOo alongside LO on F17? When I try, rpm
complains that "file /usr/bin/soffice from install of
openoffice.org3.4-freedesktop-menus-3.4-9593.noarch conflicts with
file from package libreoffice-core-1:3.5.6.2-4.fc17.x86_64". Is there
a workaround?

Thanks.
Apparently we have to remove a significant number of Libreoffice
systems before installing OpenOffice.

Roger

Christopher Svanefalk 10-04-2012 03:28 PM

OpenOffice.org alongside LibreOffice

Is it possible to install OOo alongside LO on F17? When I try, rpm

complains that "file /usr/bin/soffice from install of

openoffice.org3.4-freedesktop-menus-3.4-9593.noarch conflicts with

file from package libreoffice-core-1:3.5.6.2-4.fc17.x86_64". Is there

a workaround?

Thanks.

Apparently we have to remove *a significant number of Libreoffice systems before installing OpenOffice.
I wish they would just merge back into the same trunk already.*

Roger

Best,
Christopher Svanefalk

Doug 10-04-2012 04:52 PM

OpenOffice.org alongside LibreOffice

Is it possible to install OOo alongside LO on F17? When I try, rpm
complains that "file /usr/bin/soffice from install of
openoffice.org3.4-freedesktop-menus-3.4-9593.noarch conflicts with
file from package libreoffice-core-1:3.5.6.2-4.fc17.x86_64".
Is there
a workaround?

Thanks.

Apparently we have to remove a significant number of Libreoffice
systems before installing OpenOffice.

I wish they would just merge back into the same trunk already.

Roger

---

Best,

Christopher Svanefalk

I'm not running Fedora, I'm running PCLOS, (32-bit) but I have LO and
OO and Symphony all installed, and I didn't have to remove anything.
PCLOS is a KDE distro. I got LO first, of course, since it's "almost"
built in to every Linux distro nowadays, and I downloaded OO with an RPM,
and Symphony the same. (Symphony is a cousin of OO,) I don't know if
this helps you, but it's for your information, anyway.

--doug

Marko Vojinovic 10-04-2012 09:37 PM

OpenOffice.org alongside LibreOffice

> On 03/10/12 19:54, Pasha R wrote:
> > Is it possible to install OOo alongside LO on F17?

As a matter of curiosity, why would anyone want to have both OO and LO
installed simultaneously? Aren't they mostly feature-equivalent and/or
compatible?

Unless you are into research about feature-for-feature comparison between LO
and OO, what's the point of having them both on the same machine?

Best, :-)
Marko

Javier Perez 10-07-2012 03:33 PM

OpenOffice.org alongside LibreOffice

try installing it on a virtual machine with virtualbox

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@gmail.com> wrote:

> * * On 03/10/12 19:54, Pasha R wrote:

> > * * * * Is it possible to install OOo alongside LO on F17?

As a matter of curiosity, why would anyone want to have both OO and LO

installed simultaneously? Aren't they mostly feature-equivalent and/or

compatible?

Unless you are into research about feature-for-feature comparison between LO

and OO, what's the point of having them both on the same machine?

Best, :-)

Marko

------------------------------
*/\_/**
*|O O|* pepebuho@gmail.com
*~~~~ * * Javier Perez
*~~~~* * * * * While the night runs

*~~~~* * * * * toward the day...
* m m** * * Pepebuho watches
* * * * * ** ** from his high perch.

Hiisi 10-07-2012 03:40 PM

On 7 October 2012 19:33, Javier Perez <pepebuho@gmail.com> wrote:
> try installing it on a virtual machine with virtualbox

Then you can start virtual machine, connect to it via ssh -X and start
openoffice.
--
Hiisi.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.

Pasha R 10-09-2012 11:33 AM

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 11:37 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 03/10/12 19:54, Pasha R wrote:
>> > Is it possible to install OOo alongside LO on F17?
>
> As a matter of curiosity, why would anyone want to have both OO and LO
> installed simultaneously? Aren't they mostly feature-equivalent and/or
> compatible?
>
> Unless you are into research about feature-for-feature comparison between LO
> and OO, what's the point of having them both on the same machine?
>
> Best, :-)
> Marko

Mostly, to be on safe side. I prefer to use software provided by
distro as much as possible, but sometimes, OOo does better job
converting MS office documents, so I prefer it as a backup option.

Temlakos 10-09-2012 11:39 AM

OpenOffice.org alongside LibreOffice

Is it possible to install OOo alongside LO on F17?

As a matter of curiosity, why would anyone want to have both OO and LO
installed simultaneously? Aren't they mostly feature-equivalent and/or
compatible?

Unless you are into research about feature-for-feature comparison between LO
and OO, what's the point of having them both on the same machine?

Best, :-)
Marko

Mostly, to be on safe side. I prefer to use software provided by
distro as much as possible, but sometimes, OOo does better job
converting MS office documents, so I prefer it as a backup option.

Well, I just converted to LibreOffice when I finally upgraded to F17
from F14. And I notice two improvements right away. I run two WordPress
sites and have signed on as a consulting admin on a third. And when I
used to use the "Paste from MS Word" option in the WordPress Visual
Editor, OpenOffice would always paste in some extraneous
paragraph-formatting code. And I could never turn it off.

LibreOffice does /not/ give me that problem. When I paste LibreOffice
text into WordPress, I get no extraneous code, nothing I have to go to
the HTML window to clean out. I get all my headings, attributes, and
links just the way I laid them out.

Second improvement: clearing formatting shouldn't clear links.
OpenOffice would always clear the links when I cleared the formatting.
LibreOffice does not.

And it has all the functions I knew and loved with OpenOffice. Thus far
I've had no cause to regret the switch.

Temlakos

Pasha R 10-10-2012 08:21 AM

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Temlakos <temlakos@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/09/2012 07:33 AM, Pasha R wrote:

>>> As a matter of curiosity, why would anyone want to have both OO and LO
>>> installed simultaneously? Aren't they mostly feature-equivalent and/or
>>> compatible?
>>>
>>> Unless you are into research about feature-for-feature comparison between
>>> LO
>>> and OO, what's the point of having them both on the same machine?
>>>
>>> Best, :-)
>>> Marko
>>
>> Mostly, to be on safe side. I prefer to use software provided by
>> distro as much as possible, but sometimes, OOo does better job
>> converting MS office documents, so I prefer it as a backup option.
>

> Well, I just converted to LibreOffice when I finally upgraded to F17 from
> F14. And I notice two improvements right away. I run two WordPress sites and
> have signed on as a consulting admin on a third. And when I used to use the
> "Paste from MS Word" option in the WordPress Visual Editor, OpenOffice would
> always paste in some extraneous paragraph-formatting code. And I could never
> turn it off.
>
> LibreOffice does /not/ give me that problem. When I paste LibreOffice text
> into WordPress, I get no extraneous code, nothing I have to go to the HTML
> window to clean out. I get all my headings, attributes, and links just the
> way I laid them out.
>
> Second improvement: clearing formatting shouldn't clear links. OpenOffice
> would always clear the links when I cleared the formatting. LibreOffice does
> not.
>
> And it has all the functions I knew and loved with OpenOffice. Thus far I've
> had no cause to regret the switch.

As I said, OOo and LO have different bugs, that's why I would like to
have them both installed. Sometimes, OOo works better, sometimes LO
does the job.