Old 10-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Bill Davidsen

Default OpenOffice.org alongside LibreOffice

Javier Perez wrote:

try installing it on a virtual machine with virtualbox

Sort of a brute force way to do it, but in general I agree that this is the best
way to have a separate environment. I don't know how well virtualbox supports
QCOW instances, but it does allow very low overhead VMs to be generated in large
numbers with small overhead.

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@gmail.com
<mailto:vvmarko@gmail.com>> wrote:

> On 03/10/12 19:54, Pasha R wrote:
> > Is it possible to install OOo alongside LO on F17?

As a matter of curiosity, why would anyone want to have both OO and LO
installed simultaneously? Aren't they mostly feature-equivalent and/or
compatible?

Unless you are into research about feature-for-feature comparison between LO
and OO, what's the point of having them both on the same machine?

Best, :-)
Marko

------------------------------
/\_/
|O O| pepebuho@gmail.com <mailtoepebuho@gmail.com>
~~~~ Javier Perez
~~~~ While the night runs
~~~~ toward the day...
m m Pepebuho watches
from his high perch.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 10-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Bill Davidsen

Marko Vojinovic wrote:

Is it possible to install OOo alongside LO on F17?

As a matter of curiosity, why would anyone want to have both OO and LO
installed simultaneously? Aren't they mostly feature-equivalent and/or
compatible?

You have hit on the reason, the magic word is "mostly," and unfortunately
compatibility is not quite perfect. I have been bitten by that in the last week,
so it's not subtle in some cases.

Unless you are into research about feature-for-feature comparison between LO
and OO, what's the point of having them both on the same machine?

Bug avoidance, particularly in the import/export from other office software.
I'd love to see the code bases merge, but I don't expect to, OO seems to have
gone to a good home, don't expect it to go away soon.

Best, :-)
Marko

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>