Old 10-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Sergio

Default FF 15.0.1 crashing!

> Hi Jack. If you aleady tried mentioned safe-mode variant,
> also try to
> look at about:crashes or local (cd ~/.mozilla/firefox/"Crash
> Reports")
> to find out what really happens. If no luck then
> 1) close FF, check with ps -ef | grep firefox in terminal(it
> may be
> still running), then run yum reinstall firefox xulrunner
> 2) run firefox -ProfileManager, create fresh profile ex.
> test, then
> fire it up with firefox -P test --no-remote
> 3) visit your everyday sites or do what you usually did,
> when this
> issue started to happen and open about:memory to monitor
> your FF
> status. Maybe there is some plugin incompatibility with some
> sites(you
> will see unusual memory usage).
> --

I didn't follow all the thread but Firefox has no safe-mode option at least in its man page. But one can open it normally and go to Help>Restart with add-ons disabled...

Of course creating a fresh profile is the way to go to check if the profile isn't compromised (before that I would simply clear all cookies, cache and website data).

Old 10-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Andre Robatino

Jack Craig <jack.craig.aptos <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Thx Ruben. second day in a row, i arrive and FF is frozen! 3 days ago, i did
an updateand what ever FF sent made it sick.*

Several times in the last few days, I've found Firefox
(firefox-15.0.1-1.fc17.x86_64) sucking up 100% CPU. It wasn't completely frozen,
just extremely sluggish. I was able to close it in the usual way and restart to
temporarily fix it. The last time something like this happened to me was the
leap second bug.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Jack Craig

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Andre Robatino <robatino@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

Jack Craig <jack.craig.aptos <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Thx Ruben. second day in a row, i arrive and FF is frozen! 3 days ago, i did

an update and what ever FF sent made it sick.*

Several times in the last few days, I've found Firefox

(firefox-15.0.1-1.fc17.x86_64) sucking up 100% CPU. It wasn't completely frozen,

just extremely sluggish. I was able to close it in the usual way and restart to

temporarily fix it. The last time something like this happened to me was the

leap second bug.

So Andre,

You may have a good point; I am not a patient person, a couple clicks and I am down the road.

I'll look closer for this next time. Strange, Monday update, hang, tues am, wed am, thurs am ok!* WTF??!

Still looking, Thx again Andre, jackc...

*

Old 10-05-2012, 02:08 AM
JD

On 10/03/2012 05:58 PM, Andre Robatino wrote:

Jack Craig <jack.craig.aptos <at> gmail.com> writes:

Thx Ruben. second day in a row, i arrive and FF is frozen! 3 days ago, i did

an updateand what ever FF sent made it sick.

Several times in the last few days, I've found Firefox
(firefox-15.0.1-1.fc17.x86_64) sucking up 100% CPU. It wasn't completely frozen,
just extremely sluggish. I was able to close it in the usual way and restart to
temporarily fix it. The last time something like this happened to me was the
leap second bug.

Don't mean to be a ditto-head
but I have been having this problem with FF
for many years now, with many versions of it.
What I find happening is that if I open video
web sites that require adobe flash, then 3 processes
spawned by the browser and flash player remain
in core and sucking up to 90% of cpu, even though
the video stopped playing many minutes and even
hours ago, These processes are:
firefox
plugin-container
pulseaudio

So, next time your machine is brought to it's
knees by FF, kill FF and then kill the other 2 procs
because they will still be sucking tons of CPU.
I say this from direct experience,

Old 10-05-2012, 03:04 AM
Sergio

Sorry again if I missed the whole discussion but it may depend on the site visited. Like http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=284580

Old 10-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Jack Craig

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Sergio <sergiocmailbox-userlist@yahoo.com.br> wrote:

Sorry again if I missed the whole discussion but it may depend on the site visited. Like http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=284580

this does not crash mine, thx!

Old 10-05-2012, 03:05 PM
lostson

On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 07:59 -0700, Jack Craig wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Sergio
> <sergiocmailbox-userlist@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> Sorry again if I missed the whole discussion but it may depend
> on the site visited. Like
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=284580
>
> this does not crash mine, thx!

This did freeze mine up where i had to kill it.
--
LostSon

http://lostsonsvault.org

Old 10-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Christopher Svanefalk

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Jack Craig <jack.craig.aptos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> is anyone else seeing their FF 15.0.1 crash? today, both my hime and work FF
> sessions had crashed
> since yesterday.
>
> Is it finally time to move to chrome?
>
> tia, jackc...

I moved to Chrome long ago (using the open source version, it is very
easy to build and maintain), and I never looked back. I am hoping to
start providing a package for it for Fedora 18 and forward.

--
Best,

Christopher Svanefalk

Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Roger

I've not had a crash but it stops working for up to 3 minutes, at the
same time it uses 100% of cpu and 90% memory, then stops using all that
and works well for a short time.

Roger

Old 10-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Temlakos

On 10/10/2012 06:43 AM, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Jack Craig <jack.craig.aptos@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Folks,

is anyone else seeing their FF 15.0.1 crash? today, both my hime and work FF
sessions had crashed
since yesterday.

Is it finally time to move to chrome?

tia, jackc...

I moved to Chrome long ago (using the open source version, it is very
easy to build and maintain), and I never looked back. I am hoping to
start providing a package for it for Fedora 18 and forward.

FF 15 does not crash. Not for me, it doesn't. (Though the current
iteration of Thunderbird crashes at least once at the beginning of every
session.) But earlier versions of Firefox did. And sometimes, for some
weird reason, Firefox takes up system resources in a way that System
Monitor (ksysguard from KDE) does not catch or report. So I have to take
Firefox down and bring it back up just to get through the night's e-mail.

I'm looking forward to an official Google Chrome package for Fedora. All
I knew is that the Chrome pack I got was the worst-behaved application I
ever tried to work with. But that was when I was still slogging with F14
long past its EOL

Will you provide Google Chrome for x86_64? I have found that x86_64 is
the best way I know to keep this Pentium Dual Core machine running at a
reasonable speed.

Temlakos