Old 10-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Alex

Default Choosing window manager for fc17

Hi,

Some time ago I installed fc15 with gnome3 in fallback mode, I believe
it was called? Anyway, I'm working on migrating to fc17, and would
like to get an idea of other window managers that might now be
available, since from what I hear, gnome3 still sucks.

I'll probably install fc17 in a vm first to play around for a while,
so thought someone might know of a resource that describes the latest
window managers?

I have an ATI Radeon HD 5760, I believe. How well supported is that
now? I'm upgrading primarily because I can't get the HDMI output to
work on fc15, and really hope it's progressed since then.

I've searched for a window manager HOWTO, but haven't been able to
find much, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 10-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Steven Stern

On 10/01/2012 06:51 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some time ago I installed fc15 with gnome3 in fallback mode, I believe
> it was called? Anyway, I'm working on migrating to fc17, and would
> like to get an idea of other window managers that might now be
> available, since from what I hear, gnome3 still sucks.
>
> I'll probably install fc17 in a vm first to play around for a while,
> so thought someone might know of a resource that describes the latest
> window managers?
>
> I have an ATI Radeon HD 5760, I believe. How well supported is that
> now? I'm upgrading primarily because I can't get the HDMI output to
> work on fc15, and really hope it's progressed since then.
>
> I've searched for a window manager HOWTO, but haven't been able to
> find much, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

I'm using XFCE, on a built-in Intel 4000 video.

screenshot here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uadyzw8cuaj39gx/K5pYe5x3zD

--
-- Steve

Old 10-02-2012, 12:02 AM
Tom Horsley

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 19:51:42 -0400
Alex wrote:

> I'll probably install fc17 in a vm first to play around for a while,
> so thought someone might know of a resource that describes the latest
> window managers?

I don't use the "latest" window manager, I use the one that doesn't
jerk the run out from under me every time some developer gets a new idea:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/wisdom/stick/stick.html

Essentially nothing has changed in my setup for years now.
I can be productive rather than running around trying to figure
out how the heck to use the new helpful interfaces :-).

Old 10-02-2012, 01:55 AM
Alex

Hi,

>> I'll probably install fc17 in a vm first to play around for a while,
>> so thought someone might know of a resource that describes the latest
>> window managers?
>
> I don't use the "latest" window manager, I use the one that doesn't
> jerk the run out from under me every time some developer gets a new idea:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/wisdom/stick/stick.html
>
> Essentially nothing has changed in my setup for years now.
> I can be productive rather than running around trying to figure
> out how the heck to use the new helpful interfaces :-).

Ah, awesome. I've used fvwm for years in the past. Can't believe gnome
hasn't made enough progress that the simplistic fvwm would even be a
contender.

Are we fedora users missing out on something big with all the
canonical desktop hype?

Thanks,
Alex