-   -   Setting fonts for Xterm from Xresources (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/708521-setting-fonts-xterm-xresources.html)

Sergio 09-30-2012 01:36 PM

Setting fonts for Xterm from Xresources

> Hello,
>
> I'm running Fedota 17 x86_64.
>
> I have problems to set the font type to be used in XTerm
> from Xresources:
> I edited my ~/.Xresources in order to set the font face
> (resource
> "faceName") and size (resource "faceSize").
> Here below is the output of "xrdb -query -all":
> --- [out] ---
> XTerm*background:* * ***#ffffff
> XTerm*color0:***#000000
> XTerm*color1:***#a31515
> XTerm*color10:* #fd9b43
> XTerm*color11:* #00af00
> XTerm*color12:* #335d85
> XTerm*color14:* #389fa0
> XTerm*color15:* #4daca3
> XTerm*color2:***#1c9075
> XTerm*color3:***#0000ff
> XTerm*color4:***#008000
> XTerm*color5:***#963c59
> XTerm*color6:***#2b91af
> XTerm*color7:***#00ff00
> XTerm*color8:***#ff0000
> XTerm*color9:***#d25f50
> XTerm*faceName: "Inconsolata"
> XTerm*faceSize: 12
> XTerm*foreground:* * ***#000000
> XTerm*geometry: 80x24
> XTerm*loginShell:* * ***true
> XTerm*renderFont:* * ***true
> XTerm*saveLines:* * * * 2000
> XTerm*scrollBar:* * * * false
> XTerm*visualBell:* * ***true
> XTerm.color13:* #d53d7a
> Xft.antialias:* 1
> Xft.dpi:* * * * 96
> Xft.hinting:* * 1
> Xft.hintstyle:* hintmedium
> Xft.rgba:* * ***none
> --- [/out] ---
>
> As you can see, I specified the "Inconsolata" font for the
> resource
> "faceName". However, XTerm seems to ignore it (yes, the font
> has been
> installed from Fedora repo). I have also tried with other
> fonts, but I
> obtain the same result.
>
> If instead I specify the font from the command line (option
> "-fa"), it works.
>
> Where am I wrong?
>
> Thank you so much for your help.
>
> Best,
>
> -- Marco

Did you leave a blank line as the first line? I think if you don't .Xresources won't work.

Here's mine:

$ cat .Xresources

Xft.dpi: 81
XTerm*faceName: Droid Sans Mono
XTerm*faceSize: 11
URxvt.font: xft:Droid Sans Mono:pixelsize=12

sguazt 09-30-2012 01:44 PM

Setting fonts for Xterm from Xresources

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Sergio
<sergiocmailbox-userlist@yahoo.com.br> wrote:

[cut]
> Did you leave a blank line as the first line? I think if you don't .Xresources won't work.
>
> Here's mine:
>
> $ cat .Xresources
>
> Xft.dpi: 81
> XTerm*faceName: Droid Sans Mono
> XTerm*faceSize: 11
> URxvt.font: xft:Droid Sans Mono:pixelsize=12

You're right. I didn't know about this "trick"

Thank you very much.

Best,

-- Marco

Cameron Simpson 10-01-2012 11:48 PM

On 30Sep2012 15:44, sguazt <marco.guazzone@gmail.com> wrote:
| On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Sergio
| <sergiocmailbox-userlist@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
| > Did you leave a blank line as the first line? I think if you don't .Xresources won't work.
[...]
| You're right. I didn't know about this "trick"
| Thank you very much.

You're kidding? Can you confirm that inserting a blank line fixes your
problem and that removing it breaks things again? That's a massive bug
if so. It sounds like a buggy shell script with a stray "read" somewhere
to me...
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au>

No real plot, some good special effects, but not enough to save this very
forgettable film. S&N: Windows 95.
- Phil Herring <revdoc@uow.edu.au> on _Mission Impossible_

sguazt 10-02-2012 07:12 AM

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> wrote:
> On 30Sep2012 15:44, sguazt <marco.guazzone@gmail.com> wrote:
> | On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Sergio
> | <sergiocmailbox-userlist@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> | > Did you leave a blank line as the first line? I think if you don't .Xresources won't work.
> [...]
> |
> | You're right. I didn't know about this "trick"
> | Thank you very much.
>
> You're kidding? Can you confirm that inserting a blank line fixes your
> problem and that removing it breaks things again? That's a massive bug
> if so. It sounds like a buggy shell script with a stray "read" somewhere
> to me...

I'm serious. After inserting that blank line, I get what I want.
This sounds strange me too, but that is it

Cheers,

-- Marco

Sergio 10-02-2012 11:46 AM

Setting fonts for Xterm from Xresources

> think if you don't .Xresources won't work.
> > [...]
> > |
> > | You're right. I didn't know about this "trick"
> > | Thank you very much.
> >
> > You're kidding? Can you confirm that inserting a blank
> line fixes your
> > problem and that removing it breaks things again?
> That's a massive bug
> > if so. It sounds like a buggy shell script with a stray
> "read" somewhere
> > to me...
>
> I'm serious. After inserting that blank line, I get what I
> want.
> This sounds strange me too, but that is it
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Marco
> --

I think it complains (.xsession-errors) if there isn't a blank line.