-   -   A note on youtube-dl (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/708496-note-youtube-dl.html)

Marko Vojinovic 09-30-2012 10:22 AM

A note on youtube-dl

Hi folks! :-)

Just a small note... I just tried and found out that the youtube-dl doesn't
work anymore. Reading the youtube-dl FAQ page, it says that YouTube has
changed the protocol again (since September 2012) and that we should update
the script to the latest version.

The "sudo youtube-dl --update" works as expected (and once updated, it
downloads stuff fine), but I guess someone should notify the relevant package
maintainer to update the rpm package, so that it gets pulled in with an
ordinary yum update.

I wasted half an hour hunting this down, so that noone else needs to. ;-)

HTH, :-)
Marko

Hiisi 09-30-2012 10:53 AM

A note on youtube-dl

On 30 September 2012 14:22, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks! :-)
>
> Just a small note... I just tried and found out that the youtube-dl doesn't
> work anymore. Reading the youtube-dl FAQ page, it says that YouTube has
> changed the protocol again (since September 2012) and that we should update
> the script to the latest version.
>
> The "sudo youtube-dl --update" works as expected (and once updated, it
> downloads stuff fine), but I guess someone should notify the relevant package
> maintainer to update the rpm package, so that it gets pulled in with an
> ordinary yum update.
>
> I wasted half an hour hunting this down, so that noone else needs to. ;-)
>
> HTH, :-)
> Marko

You don't need any script at all. Just copy the appropriate video file
from /tmp folder when video is watched. That always worked for me.
--
Hiisi.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.

Hiisi 09-30-2012 10:58 AM

A note on youtube-dl

On 30 September 2012 14:56, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:

>> You don't need any script at all. Just copy the appropriate video file
>> from /tmp folder when video is watched. That always worked for me.
>
> You don't need any GUI at all. Just type your commands in the terminal
> you see how wrong your argumentation is?

Could you be more precise? I'm far away from my fedora box at the moment.

Sergio 09-30-2012 11:40 AM

A note on youtube-dl

> Just a small note... I just tried and found out that the
> youtube-dl doesn't
> work anymore. Reading the youtube-dl FAQ page, it says that
> YouTube has
> changed the protocol again (since September 2012) and that
> we should update
> the script to the latest version.
>
> The "sudo youtube-dl --update" works as expected (and once
> updated, it
> downloads stuff fine), but I guess someone should notify the
> relevant package
> maintainer to update the rpm package, so that it gets pulled
> in with an
> ordinary yum update.
>
> I wasted half an hour hunting this down, so that noone else
> needs to. ;-)
>
> HTH, :-)
> Marko

You could open a bug report in bugzilla.redhat.com

I use http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/124921 with greasemonkey.
Very nice script.

Joe Zeff 09-30-2012 06:21 PM

A note on youtube-dl

The "sudo youtube-dl --update" works as expected (and once updated, it
downloads stuff fine)

[joe@khorlia ~]$ su -c 'youtube-dl --update'
Password:
Usage: youtube-dl [options] video_url ...

youtube-dl: error: no such option: --update

"Germán A. Racca" 09-30-2012 06:39 PM

A note on youtube-dl

The "sudo youtube-dl --update" works as expected (and once updated, it
downloads stuff fine)

[joe@khorlia ~]$ su -c 'youtube-dl --update'
Password:
Usage: youtube-dl [options] video_url ...

youtube-dl: error: no such option: --update

$ sudo youtube-dl --update
Updating to latest version...
Updated youtube-dl. Restart youtube-dl to use the new version.

--
Germán A. Racca
Fedora Package Maintainer

Fernando Cassia 09-30-2012 06:44 PM