Old 10-05-2012, 09:48 PM
jackson byers

Default att-uverse new, can't access internet

Rob, thanks for your response;
You are making me a believer in DHCP.
Will try your suggestion later today.

Nitpicks:

>> And I much prefer static IP for f16.
>> the network 192.168.2.0 is also
>> used in configs of [previously used]
>> :linksys router
>> :netgear wless access point,
>>

>You should really lose your obsession with static configuration because
>it leads to exactly the problem you are having....
>As to why it worked before probably has to do with why you had two
>routers in your house - linksys and netgear - each managing their own
>network - or worse fighting with each other.

the netgear is a wireless access point,
used only for wireless connection of a laptop.
When the laptop was ethernet connected to the linksys router,
the netgear access point was not doing anything,
so the idea they were fighting each other I think is not the case.
Regardless, the laptop and netgear had not been used for
last 2-3 years, so I don't need to fuss with them right now.

Are you implying that if I do get uverse working, that
I won't need the netgear access point at all?, i.e.,
that the uverse modem will handle laptop when wanting to use it wireless?

Re your parents' uverse: are they running linux?

Are you running linux under uverse?

Do you know of specific cases where uverse and linux work successfully?
The att phone reps are very pessimistic, going so far as saying:
"it may be that uverse and linux are simply incompatible."

Thanks again,
I will get back to the list later today I hope.

Jack

Old 10-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Robert Locke

On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 14:48 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
> Are you implying that if I do get uverse working, that
> I won't need the netgear access point at all?, i.e.,
> that the uverse modem will handle laptop when wanting to use it wireless?

Yes.

> Re your parents' uverse: are they running linux?

Yes, and no. Some devices are Linux based, Android tablet, cell phones,
and a Windows laptop.

> Are you running linux under uverse?

My laptop works great both wired and wireless at their house when I
visit.

> Do you know of specific cases where uverse and linux work successfully?
> The att phone reps are very pessimistic, going so far as saying:
> "it may be that uverse and linux are simply incompatible."

Which is them trying to get you off the phone and close the case. Linux
and uVerse are just fine....

Slightly in their defense, do they support Fedora or RHEL, OpenSuse or
SLES, Ubuntu, Debian, or the myriad of other distributions. At least
with Windows and Mac, they do honestly hit a *huge* percentage desktops.
That's not to say that we shouldn't keep pushing them to support Linux.

--Rob

Old 10-06-2012, 01:36 AM
jackson byers

Followed Rob explicitly, now f16 box using uverse, on internet!

ifcfg-eth0:

# Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5702X Gigabit Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=00:e0:18:d2:d1:95
BROADCAST=255.255.255.255
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

TYPE=Ethernet
NM_CONTROLLED=yes
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes

Many, many thanks to Rob.
A lost week but I learned something.
Now if I can just get ATT to give me a description of those 3 pieces
of electronic gear
under my desk.

I am also very encouraged by Rob's remark,
something like:

Old 10-06-2012, 03:42 AM
Robert Locke

On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 18:36 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
> Followed Rob explicitly, now f16 box using uverse, on internet!

Welcome to your F16 box, back on to the Interwebs!

Glad it worked!

--Rob