Old 10-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Tim

Default att-uverse new, can't access internet

On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 13:20 -0400, Terry Polzin wrote:
> A simple disconnect and reconnect of your wired connection should
> renew it's IP address and /etc/resolv.conf

Usually, yes (when using network manager). Disconnect, wait a moment,
plug back in again, and it'll do its trick. You can even watch the tail
of /var/log/messages to see what it's doing.

> else why not just reboot.

Much easier, and quicker to restart network manager than go through a
whole reboot. Which isn't going to make network manager behave any
differently.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 10:11 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
> I don't really understand your response here.
> To repeat, the imac is working, apparently with full internet access,
> via *wired* connection. The prior use of wireless internet on the imac,
> has been turned off.

Well, (a) I'm not really sure where you trying to use this 10-digit key,
and (b) even wired links can use encryption or require some form of
authentication. Granted, that it's not common for wired links to be set
up that way, but it is possible to do so.

> the data in resolv.conf appear correct.
>
> bash-3.2$ dig ns1.pacbell.net
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R4-P3 <<>> ns1.pacbell.net
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 2897
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;ns1.pacbell.net. IN A
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> pacbell.net. 7200 IN SOA ns1.pbi.net. postmaster.pbi.net. 2012100300 3600 900 604800 7200
>
> ;; Query time: 1071 msec
> ;; SERVER: 192.168.1.254#53(192.168.1.254)
> ;; WHEN: Wed Oct 3 09:26:10 2012
> ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 88
>
> Does this tell me anything? is ns1.pbi.net a DNS number I could/should use?
> In addition to the two I now have?

It tells you that there isn't a ns1.pacbell.net, as there is no "answer"
section in the results from dig.

The question section lists what your query was.
The authority section tells you who responded.
The answer section would tell you your answer, but there is no answer,
and therefore no IP for the asked about address.

i.e. There is no ns1.pacbell.net

However, in the results that you got back, the authority section tells
you about ns1.pbi.net being the start of authority (SOA) for name
serving for pacbell.net. So, there's a chance that you can use
ns1.pbi.net as a name server. But...

1. It may be that they don't let their customers directly access that
name server. It may only be that *that* name server provides the
records for their own domain names, and doesn't work as a resolver for
all addresses on the internet. Try it, and see if it works for you.

2. You want to put the numerical IP address for it into your resolv.conf
file, not the fully qualified domain name.

dig ns1.pbi.net
;; ANSWER SECTION:
ns1.pbi.net. 172539 IN A 206.13.28.11

Try using 206.13.28.11 as one of your nameserver, and see how you go.

The other way to find out name servers on an ISP, is to ask for the NS
records for a domain name.

e.g. dig pacbell.net NS
;; ANSWER SECTION:
pacbell.net. 172800 IN NS ns1.pbi.net.
pacbell.net. 172800 IN NS ns2.pbi.net.

Again, the same thing I brought up in point 1 stands. They could just
be the holders for domain records for packbell.net own addresses. You'd
have to try querying those name servers for other (outside) addresses,
to see if they work.

> I did pull the new modem power cable,
> after plugging back in the system took a while to come fully on.
> No help on internet:
> trying to start google chrome, still getting message invalid DNS.

Which tends to suggest that whatever name servers are configured in your
resolv.conf files, they're not providing answers to the programs on your
computer, namely your browser, when the browser queries addresses.

If the dig tool, on the same computer, does work. i.e. If trying to web
browse to www.example.com produces an invalid DNS error message in your
browser, but doing "dig example.com" does come up with an IP, that
suggests another problem with your network set up.

Such as, the /etc/nsswitch.conf file, which has a "hosts:" section that
lists how names will be looked up. Usually, it said files then dns,
which means first look in the /etc/hosts file, then try a DNS query.

e.g. hosts: files dns

Or that your browsers are configured to go through a proxy, and that
proxy is not working.

> It seems I don't need to correct faults in the DNS numbers,
> so does it still make sense to restart NetworkManager?
> Exactly how would I restart it?
> -- chkconfig?
> -- some systemd command?

In ye olde days, it was "service NetworkManager restart", but I haven't
played with restarting services on the newer versions of Fedora to
remember the incantation. If there's a GUI tool installed that lists
all your services, there will be a way to stop/start/restart it from
with there.

> I did pull the new modem power cable,
> after plugging back in the system took a while to come fully on.
> No help on internet:
> trying to start google chrome, still getting message invalid DNS.

Do all browser programs on that computer fail? Have you quit and
restarted the browser since pulling the modem cable? Browser tend to
cache DNS results, themselves. So if they've got an answer, once, they
don't bother asking the DNS server again, for the same IP. Sometime
they can get stuck, if the first answer failed.

Do other things work? How are you doing email, at the moment?

If you have some DNS server addresses to try out, try them with the dig
tool (e.g. dig www.example.com), and see if you get valid answers.

When you find working ones, you can put them in your resolv.conf file.
You need at least one, I think it currently supports up to three. The
first one will always be asked first, the next ones only get asked if
the prior ones fail to respond. List the quickest DNS server first.

You do not have to use DNS servers provided by your ISP, some ISP's have
really awful ones. A number of people use Google's DNS servers, Google
has called 8.8.8.8 a public DNS server, so it's a fairly safe bet that
you're allowed to use it. You can even run your own one, but I'd try
getting working servers from someone else, first, before going down the
route of configuring your own DNS server.

Check your /etc/nsswitch.conf file for a "hosts: files dns" line,
that's the usual working set of instructions for it. Check that there
isn't another conflicting "hosts:" line in it.

Check whether you browse through proxies.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:00 PM
jackson byers

Terry Polzin:
>A simple disconnect and reconnect of your wired connection should renew
>it's IP address and /etc/resolv.conf else why not just reboot.

I have already rebooted many times, no help.
My request on how to restart NetworkManager is
more out of desperation, in the mad hope that
kicking NetworkManager via "restart"
might make my f16 capable of not getting that DNS failed error.

Jack

Old 10-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Terry Polzin

On Thu, 2012-10-04 at 10:00 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
> Terry Polzin:
> >A simple disconnect and reconnect of your wired connection should renew
> >it's IP address and /etc/resolv.conf else why not just reboot.
>
> I have already rebooted many times, no help.
> My request on how to restart NetworkManager is
> more out of desperation, in the mad hope that
> kicking NetworkManager via "restart"
> might make my f16 capable of not getting that DNS failed error.
>
> Jack

Does the time stamp on the /etc/resolv.conf correspond to the times of
your reboots?

Could you kindly detail your new equipment with some photographs so we
all might see what these devices look like. Be sure to include
close-ups of any labels on the devices.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:07 PM
jackson byers

>> To repeat, the imac is working, apparently with full internet access,
>> via *wired* connection. The prior use of wireless internet on the imac,
>> has been turned off.

>Well, (a) I'm not really sure where you trying to use this 10-digit key,
>and (b) even wired links can use encryption or require some form of
>authentication. Granted, that it's not common for wired links to be set
>up that way, but it is possible to do so.
------
This 10-digit key was first response I got from uverse on phone
after the uverse install.
At that time even the imac had no internet.
The uverse rep on phone had me go thru a
sequence of 2 things to set up wireless internet on the imac,
including giving him/her that 10 digit key, read off from side panel
of the uverse modem.

Then a day later I had another phone exchange with uverse
where at my request they led me through the steps on the imac
to turn off wireless (Airport) internet, and
to turn on wired internet, and the imac has wired internet since.

I suppose it remains possible,
that 10digit key encryption/authentication on the imac
is affecting my wired connection on my f16 box.
Seems unlikely but maybe?
---------------

Tim, I have yet to try your suggestion of
turning off both computers,
and then pull the power cable from uverse modem, wait,
and then put power cable back in, all with the computers turned off.
Will try this soon.

------------------
Had the worst/most frustrating uverse phone exchange
yesterday oct 3.
The rep was barely understandable, he finally got around to
to having me pull the power cable from uverse modem.
This had the effect of also cutting off our phone,
something I had not realized, that the uveerse bundle now
has our phone line subject to problems/disconnects of the
uverse modem.

And of course, even though the uverse rep had our phone number
which they dutifully take down every time we call,
"so that we can call you back in case of a disconnect",
he never did call back.

That uverse rep also seemed to know nothing about the
added 3 pieces of electronic gear that came with the uverse install,
so I don't yet know what they are, why such a mess needed.
When I crawl under my desk I can see a jumble of
1) aluminum? ~1ft square 2in high box-- a large 'W' on one face.
2) a grey plastic Belkin box ~8in square, 3in high-- another router?
3) a small vanilla box
All 3 I think are connected to the uverse modem.

there is an additional very thin green wire coming of somewhere
in that 3-box mess, that is also connected to the uverse modem.
---------
Is there any command sequence to restart/stop/start NetworkManager?

Jack

Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Jack Craig

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 11:07 AM, jackson byers <byersjab@gmail.com> wrote:

>> To repeat, the imac is working, apparently with full internet access,

>> via *wired* connection. *The prior use of wireless internet on the imac,

>> has been turned off.

>Well, (a) I'm not really sure where you trying to use this 10-digit key,

>and (b) even wired links can use encryption or require some form of

>authentication. *Granted, that it's not common for wired links to be set

>up that way, but it is possible to do so.

------

This 10-digit key was first response I got from uverse on phone

after the uverse install.

At that time even the imac had no internet.

The uverse rep on phone had me go thru a

sequence of 2 things to set up wireless internet on the imac,

including giving him/her that 10 digit key, read off from side panel

of the uverse modem.

Then a day later I had another phone exchange with uverse

where at my request they led me through the steps on the imac

to turn off wireless (Airport) internet, and

to turn on *wired internet, and the imac has wired internet since.

I suppose it remains possible,

*that 10digit key encryption/authentication on the imac

is affecting my wired connection on my f16 box.

Seems unlikely but maybe?

---------------

Tim, I have yet to try your suggestion of

turning off both computers,

and then pull the power cable from uverse modem, wait,

and then put power cable back in, all with the computers turned off.

Will try this soon.

------------------

Had the worst/most frustrating uverse phone exchange

yesterday oct 3.

The rep was barely understandable, he finally got around to

to having me pull the power cable from uverse modem.

This had the effect of also cutting off our phone,

something I had not realized, that the uveerse bundle now

has our phone line subject to problems/disconnects of the

uverse modem.

And of course, even though the uverse rep had our phone number

which they dutifully take down every time we call,

"so that we can call you back in case of a disconnect",

he never did call back.

That uverse rep also seemed to know nothing about the

added 3 pieces of electronic gear that came with the uverse install,

so I don't yet know what they are, why such a mess needed.

When I crawl under my desk I can see a jumble of

1) aluminum? *~1ft square 2in high box-- a large 'W' on one face.

2) a grey plastic Belkin box *~8in square, 3in high-- another router?

3) a small vanilla box

All 3 I think are connected to the uverse modem.

there is an additional very thin green wire coming of somewhere

in that 3-box mess, that is also connected to the uverse modem.

---------

Is there any command sequence to restart/stop/start NetworkManager?

sudo service* NetworkManager {start/stop/restart}

look before you leap, chkconfig --list* to see original config.

hth...

Jack

Old 10-04-2012, 07:35 PM
jackson byers

FWIW, the following is my ifcfg-eth0 in my f16box
Note static IP, NM_Controlled=yes

$ less ifcfg-eth0
# Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5702X Gigabit Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=00:e0:18:d2:d1:95
BROADCAST=255.255.255.255
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.2.8
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.2.0
GATEWAY=192.168.2.1
TYPE=Ethernet
NM_CONTROLLED=yes
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
DNS1=206.13.31.12
DNS2=68.94.156.1
DOMAIN=pacbell.net
ifcfg-eth0 (END

does anyone see anything wrong, questionable?
I have been using this at least through
f12, f14, f16

I can't recall where I got all of this, especially
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes

I don't know the meaning of, or the impact of either of these.

Jack
Above is consistent in that
my /etc/resolv.conf says Added by NetworkManager

For many years, I have been using static IP and
NETWORK=192.168.2.0

in contrast the imac is using DHCP
and network 192.168.1.0

Old 10-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Robert Locke

On Thu, 2012-10-04 at 12:35 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
> FWIW, the following is my ifcfg-eth0 in my f16box
> Note static IP, NM_Controlled=yes
>

> $ less ifcfg-eth0
> # Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5702X Gigabit Ethernet
> DEVICE=eth0
> HWADDR=00:e0:18:d2:d1:95
> BROADCAST=255.255.255.255
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=static
> IPADDR=192.168.2.8
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.168.2.0
> GATEWAY=192.168.2.1
> TYPE=Ethernet
> NM_CONTROLLED=yes
> USERCTL=no
> PEERDNS=yes
> DNS1=206.13.31.12
> DNS2=68.94.156.1
> DOMAIN=pacbell.net
> ifcfg-eth0 (END
>

> does anyone see anything wrong, questionable?
> I have been using this at least through
> f12, f14, f16
>
> I can't recall where I got all of this, especially
> USERCTL=no
> PEERDNS=yes
>
> I don't know the meaning of, or the impact of either of these.
>
> Jack
> Above is consistent in that
> my /etc/resolv.conf says Added by NetworkManager
>

> For many years, I have been using static IP and
> NETWORK=192.168.2.0
>
> in contrast the imac is using DHCP
> and network 192.168.1.0

You have hit the nail on the head. Your iMac is configured for DHCP and
was working, but your F16 box is configured for static addressing that
does not match what the "new router" is willing to accept.

So, since you have the ifcfg-eth0 file available, edit the file and
change the following line:

BOOTPROTO=static

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

You can also safely remove the lines:
> IPADDR=192.168.2.8
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.168.2.0
> GATEWAY=192.168.2.1
> DNS1=206.13.31.12
> DNS2=68.94.156.1
> DOMAIN=pacbell.net

which contain the incorrect static settings.

--Rob

Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 PM
jackson byers

Terry Polzin responded:

>Does the time stamp on the /etc/resolv.conf correspond to the times of
>your reboots?

>Could you kindly detail your new equipment with some photographs so we
>all might see what these devices look like. Be sure to include
>close-ups of any labels on the devices.
---
time stamp of /etc/resolv.conf on f16 is oct4... consistent with
last boot of f16

I am not proficient with cameras of any type.
Also leery of too much pushing around that jumble of
equipment. Will get down there again and see if can get
better description.
Might be able to get att on phone to
tell me what was put in, but our experience on the phone is not good.

Robert Locke responded:

>You have hit the nail on the head. Your iMac is configured for DHCP and
>was working, but your F16 box is configured for static addressing that
>does not match what the "new router" is willing to accept.

>So, since you have the ifcfg-eth0 file available, edit the file and
>change the following line:

>BOOTPROTO=static

>BOOTPROTO=dhcp

>You can also safely remove the lines:
>> IPADDR=192.168.2.8
>> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>> NETWORK=192.168.2.0
>> GATEWAY=192.168.2.1
>> DNS1=206.13.31.12
>> DNS2=68.94.156.1
>> DOMAIN=pacbell.net

>which contain the incorrect static settings.

>-Rob

I hope this is it!
Still confused on this point:
the mixed system with 192.168.2.8 static on f16
and 192.168.1.0 network, dhcp, currently 192.168.1.71 on imac
was working fine on the old adsl pacbell modem.
So why can't this new uverse also deal with that mix?

And I much prefer static IP for f16.
the network 192.168.2.0 is also
used in configs of [previously used]
:linksys router
:netgear wless access point,

both of which I would need to be working
if we have to give up uverse and go back to old adsl pacbell modem,
hopefully without reconfiguration of the linksys, netgear.
(I forget completely just how to do that, web-based I think)

Instead of changing my f16 to dhcp,
would it be sufficient on f16
to keep my static config
but convert to 192.168.1.0 network?

[or even change the imac to 192.168.2.0?
probably don't want to mess with the imac
since it has working internet with uverse]

Also we know those DNS1, DNS2 are valid
so I would prefer to keep those lines if possible.

not sure about
DOMAIN=pacbell.net

Am I not free to pick almost any name for DOMAIN?

FWIW, here is result of 'ifconfig -a' from the imac:

bash-3.2$ ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULT ICAST> mtu 1500
ether 00:26:bb:58:4c:e2
inet6 fe80::226:bbff:fe58:4ce2%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
inet 192.168.1.71 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
status: active
fw0: flags=8822<BROADCAST,SMART,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 4078
lladdr 00:26:bb:ff:fe:58:4c:e2
media: autoselect <full-duplex>
status: inactive
en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULT ICAST> mtu 1500
ether d4:9a:20:56:8a:2d
media: autoselect (<unknown type>)
status: inactive
bash-3.2$ ~~

thanks much for your response, just maybe it can get the uverse going?
Jack

Old 10-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Robert Locke

On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 12:30 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
> Robert Locke responded:
>
> >You have hit the nail on the head. Your iMac is configured for DHCP and
> >was working, but your F16 box is configured for static addressing that
> >does not match what the "new router" is willing to accept.
>
> >So, since you have the ifcfg-eth0 file available, edit the file and
> >change the following line:
>
> >BOOTPROTO=static

> >BOOTPROTO=dhcp
>
> >You can also safely remove the lines:
> >> IPADDR=192.168.2.8
> >> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> >> NETWORK=192.168.2.0
> >> GATEWAY=192.168.2.1
> >> DNS1=206.13.31.12
> >> DNS2=68.94.156.1
> >> DOMAIN=pacbell.net
>
> >which contain the incorrect static settings.
>
> >-Rob
>
> I hope this is it!
> Still confused on this point:
> the mixed system with 192.168.2.8 static on f16
> and 192.168.1.0 network, dhcp, currently 192.168.1.71 on imac
> was working fine on the old adsl pacbell modem.
> So why can't this new uverse also deal with that mix?
>
> And I much prefer static IP for f16.
> the network 192.168.2.0 is also
> used in configs of [previously used]
> :linksys router
> :netgear wless access point,

You should really lose your obsession with static configuration because
it leads to exactly the problem you are having....

> both of which I would need to be working
> if we have to give up uverse and go back to old adsl pacbell modem,
> hopefully without reconfiguration of the linksys, netgear.
> (I forget completely just how to do that, web-based I think)
>
> Instead of changing my f16 to dhcp,
> would it be sufficient on f16
> to keep my static config
> but convert to 192.168.1.0 network?
>
> [or even change the imac to 192.168.2.0?
> probably don't want to mess with the imac
> since it has working internet with uverse]

As to why it worked before probably has to do with why you had two
routers in your house - linksys and netgear - each managing their own
network - or worse fighting with each other.

I'm a big fan of the KISS principle - Keep It Silly Simple....

With uVerse, you now have *faster* Internet with a simpler
configuration. In theory you could change the F16 configuration to
"match up" with what is "currently" being served by the uVerse router,
but when AT&T needs to make a change, they are *not* going to notify you
and things will stop working, a simple reboot (which is all their phone
support can generally handle), will not work, because you have hardcoded
the information in to your F16 machine.

Don't punt on uVerse, it's actually a reasonable service - works great
at my parents' house. I don't even need to "help" out there for
networking....

Do yourself a favor - go with DHCP. This is why it was invented!

> Also we know those DNS1, DNS2 are valid
> so I would prefer to keep those lines if possible.

See? This is why you need to concede and go back to DHCP. The DNS
entries ought to be served by the DHCP server (aka. your uVerse router).
While those particular entries are not working at the moment because you
have no networking (being on 192.168.2.x rather than 192.168.1.x), there
are also some routers that want you to point to "them" for the DNS so
they can work on protecting you from some of the DNS poisoning attacks.

> not sure about
> DOMAIN=pacbell.net
>
> Am I not free to pick almost any name for DOMAIN?

Yes, the DOMAIN is unnecessary and you can pick anything you like.
Frankly you don't need the entry which is why I suggested you remove it.

--Rob