Old 09-28-2012, 10:43 AM
"Franta Hanzlik"

Default F17-how configure system-wide mobile broadband internet connection

NetworkManager is able connect to internet over USB Huawei modem, but it
seems only from user session. How configure this connection as
system-wide, started when system comes up?
It seems as in Fedora's system-config-network isn't possible configure
this kind of connection (s-c-n not recognize modem, although
udev/usb-modeswitch prepare it and relevant /dev/ttyUSBx exist).

TIA, Fr. Hanzlik

Old 09-28-2012, 12:13 PM
fred smith

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:43:45PM +0200, Franta Hanzlik wrote:
> NetworkManager is able connect to internet over USB Huawei modem, but it
> seems only from user session. How configure this connection as
> system-wide, started when system comes up?
> It seems as in Fedora's system-config-network isn't possible configure
> this kind of connection (s-c-n not recognize modem, although
> udev/usb-modeswitch prepare it and relevant /dev/ttyUSBx exist).
>
> TIA, Fr. Hanzlik

In the NM applet, "edit" the connection configuration, put a checkmark in the
checkbox "Available to all users". That should do it.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:29 PM
"Franta Hanzlik"

> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:43:45PM +0200, Franta Hanzlik wrote:
>> NetworkManager is able connect to internet over USB Huawei modem, but it
>> seems only from user session. How configure this connection as
>> system-wide, started when system comes up?
>> It seems as in Fedora's system-config-network isn't possible configure
>> this kind of connection (s-c-n not recognize modem, although
>> udev/usb-modeswitch prepare it and relevant /dev/ttyUSBx exist).
>>
>> TIA, Fr. Hanzlik
>
> In the NM applet, "edit" the connection configuration, put a checkmark in
> the
> checkbox "Available to all users". That should do it.

No, this probably isn't it. After reboot PC, mobile broadband connection
is down and I must manually pick up it. And I want establist and drop
connection from console too. And this should act as system service - even
programs (e.g. launched by cron or some system events) should establish
connection, even at time when no user is logged in. Some as construct
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 (and perhaps some other
structures for pppd/?) and then use ifup and ifdown scripts. Or, when
NetworkManager is needed for this (I would rather avoid to him), then
activate/deactivate connection over some its control utility (perhaps over
D-BUS).

Old 09-28-2012, 04:52 PM
fred smith

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 03:29:10PM +0200, Franta Hanzlik wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:43:45PM +0200, Franta Hanzlik wrote:
> >> NetworkManager is able connect to internet over USB Huawei modem, but it
> >> seems only from user session. How configure this connection as
> >> system-wide, started when system comes up?
> >> It seems as in Fedora's system-config-network isn't possible configure
> >> this kind of connection (s-c-n not recognize modem, although
> >> udev/usb-modeswitch prepare it and relevant /dev/ttyUSBx exist).
> >>
> >> TIA, Fr. Hanzlik
> >
> > In the NM applet, "edit" the connection configuration, put a checkmark in
> > the
> > checkbox "Available to all users". That should do it.
> >

> No, this probably isn't it. After reboot PC, mobile broadband connection
> is down and I must manually pick up it. And I want establist and drop
> connection from console too. And this should act as system service - even
> programs (e.g. launched by cron or some system events) should establish
> connection, even at time when no user is logged in. Some as construct
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 (and perhaps some other
> structures for pppd/?) and then use ifup and ifdown scripts. Or, when
> NetworkManager is needed for this (I would rather avoid to him), then
> activate/deactivate connection over some its control utility (perhaps over
> D-BUS).

maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but... doing what I suggested will
cause the network connection to be brought up at boot, which is, I
thought, what you wanted.

Fred

The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
keeping watch on the wicked and the good.
----------------------------- Proverbs 15:3 (niv) -----------------------------

Old 09-28-2012, 06:38 PM
"Franta Hanzlik"

>> it
>> configure

>> > In the NM applet, "edit" the connection configuration, put a checkmark
>> in
>> > the
>> > checkbox "Available to all users". That should do it.
>> >

>> No, this probably isn't it. After reboot PC, mobile broadband connection
>> is down and I must manually pick up it. And I want establist and drop
>> connection from console too. And this should act as system service -
>> even
>> programs (e.g. launched by cron or some system events) should establish
>> connection, even at time when no user is logged in. Some as construct
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 (and perhaps some other
>> structures for pppd/?) and then use ifup and ifdown scripts. Or, when
>> NetworkManager is needed for this (I would rather avoid to him), then
>> activate/deactivate connection over some its control utility (perhaps
>> over
>> D-BUS).
>
> maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but... doing what I suggested will
> cause the network connection to be brought up at boot, which is, I
> thought, what you wanted.
>
> Fred

Fred, thank You for your suggestion (and sorry for my bad English).
You want say that You have mobile broadband connection up after You boot
PC (before user logs in)? And when You boot to runlevel 3
(multi-user.target) you have connection up too? How You did configure it?
Have You in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ any configuration files for
this connection?

I have no connection in runlevel 3 nor 5 after boot, didn't even
connection when I log to desktop session - although I have in nm-applet
"Mobile Broadband" configured as "Connect automatically" and "Available to
all users", machine not connect (but it is maybe because initially I have
not enabled "Enable Mobile Broadband" in nm-applet /this checkbox not stay
checked after reboot and new login and i must manually enable it/).

What else I may have configure?

Old 09-28-2012, 10:24 PM
fred smith

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 08:38:14PM +0200, Franta Hanzlik wrote:
> >> it
> >> configure

> >> in
> >> >

> >> No, this probably isn't it. After reboot PC, mobile broadband connection
> >> is down and I must manually pick up it. And I want establist and drop
> >> connection from console too. And this should act as system service -
> >> even
> >> programs (e.g. launched by cron or some system events) should establish
> >> connection, even at time when no user is logged in. Some as construct
> >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 (and perhaps some other
> >> structures for pppd/?) and then use ifup and ifdown scripts. Or, when
> >> NetworkManager is needed for this (I would rather avoid to him), then
> >> activate/deactivate connection over some its control utility (perhaps
> >> over
> >> D-BUS).
> >
> > maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but... doing what I suggested will
> > cause the network connection to be brought up at boot, which is, I
> > thought, what you wanted.
> >
> > Fred
> >

> Fred, thank You for your suggestion (and sorry for my bad English).
> You want say that You have mobile broadband connection up after You boot
> PC (before user logs in)? And when You boot to runlevel 3
> (multi-user.target) you have connection up too? How You did configure it?
> Have You in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ any configuration files for
> this connection?

I have a netbook running F17. it has both built-in wireless and a
built-in wired network port. either or both of those can be configured
(as "connect automatically") to start at boot, before anyone logs in.

(I commonly boot up the netbook then ssh into it from my desktop computer,
since the microscopic keyboard on the netbook is not suited to
comfortable typing, and I do that without ever logging in on the netbook's
built-in screen/keyboard.)

However, I have no experience with those mobile broadband devices, and
if funny setup is REQUIRED to make it work, then I can't say for sure
that NM will do for you what it does for me.

> I have no connection in runlevel 3 nor 5 after boot, didn't even
> connection when I log to desktop session - although I have in nm-applet
> "Mobile Broadband" configured as "Connect automatically" and "Available to
> all users", machine not connect (but it is maybe because initially I have
> not enabled "Enable Mobile Broadband" in nm-applet /this checkbox not stay
> checked after reboot and new login and i must manually enable it/).

I just went thru NM to configure a (fake) mobile broadband device (fake
since I don't actually have one) and I don't see, anywhere, a checkbox
labeled "Enable Mobile Broadband". Perhaps it depends on which particular
kind of device I choose.... So, I probably can't help you with that. Sorry!

Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding