-   -   yum --downloadonly question (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/707891-yum-downloadonly-question.html)

"Trutwin, Joshua" 09-27-2012 04:40 PM

yum --downloadonly question

Hi,

I upgraded a number of lab computers from Fedora 14 to Fedora 17 this summer and a process I used to push patches out to them en mass no longer works.

What I used to do was:

yum --downloadonly --security update

Then I would copy /var/cache/yum to a shared NFS drive and from each client run an update script that would include:

rm -rf /var/cache/yum
cp -pR /nfs/yum-cache /var/cache/yum
yum -C -y --security update

In fedora 14 this would run the update from the local cache (-C option) without prompting via -y so I could script/push security patches to all my clients. I use this method as occasionally some of the clients are offline and need to be manually started up - this way I can be sure each client has the exact same patches.

In fedora 17 when I do this I get the following error message when running the yum -C command on the client:

[Error -1] Check uncompressed DB failed

I ran with -v -e 10 -d 10 and it's failing after printing: "Setting up Package Sacks".

The following yum plugins are enabled: downloadonly, presto, security, tsflags, verify, versionlock

Is this process simply not allowed anymore? If not is there an alternate way to do what I'm attempting?

Thank you!

Josh