-   -   Change default app. - (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/707658-change-default-app.html)

"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA" 09-26-2012 09:37 PM

Change default app. -

How do I change the default application for playing a video file
received from an iPhone [.mov]?

Presently I have to save it and play with vlc which works perfectly.
Something called "Parole" is all that is offered and I have never
succeeded in playing anything using it, considering just removing
it. Google describes methods for setting the default but they don't
seem applicable to XFCE and F-17/64.

Thanks,

Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box9

Ed Greshko 09-27-2012 06:12 AM

Change default app. -

On 09/27/2012 05:37 AM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
> How do I change the default application for playing a video file
> received from an iPhone [.mov]?
>
> Presently I have to save it and play with vlc which works perfectly.
> Something called "Parole" is all that is offered and I have never
> succeeded in playing anything using it, considering just removing
> it. Google describes methods for setting the default but they don't
> seem applicable to XFCE and F-17/64.

If you start the file manager, "Thunar", and then right click on the X.mov file pick "Open with" and then "Open with other Application" you should be able to choose vlc and that choice should stick for all .mov files.

"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA" 09-27-2012 09:49 AM

Change default app. -

On 27/09/12 02:12, Ed Greshko types:

How do I change the default application for playing a video file
received from an iPhone [.mov]?

Presently I have to save it and play with vlc which works perfectly.
Something called "Parole" is all that is offered and I have never
succeeded in playing anything using it, considering just removing
it. Google describes methods for setting the default but they don't
seem applicable to XFCE and F-17/64.

If you start the file manager, "Thunar", and then right click on the X.mov file pick "Open with" and then "Open with other Application" you should be able to choose vlc and that choice should stick for all .mov files.

Perhaps it should "stick" but it does not. I can view it that way
but I am still offered only Parole with no "Other" option when I
attempt to view the video in Thunderbird mail. Do you know of a file
that can be changed manually?

Thanks,

Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box9

Ed Greshko 09-27-2012 10:04 AM

Change default app. -

On 09/27/2012 05:49 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
> On 27/09/12 02:12, Ed Greshko types:
>> On 09/27/2012 05:37 AM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
>>> How do I change the default application for playing a video file
>>> received from an iPhone [.mov]?
>>>
>>> Presently I have to save it and play with vlc which works perfectly.
>>> Something called "Parole" is all that is offered and I have never
>>> succeeded in playing anything using it, considering just removing
>>> it. Google describes methods for setting the default but they don't
>>> seem applicable to XFCE and F-17/64.
>> If you start the file manager, "Thunar", and then right click on the X.mov file pick "Open with" and then "Open with other Application" you should be able to choose vlc and that choice should stick for all .mov files.
>>

> Perhaps it should "stick" but it does not. I can view it that way
> but I am still offered only Parole with no "Other" option when I
> attempt to view the video in Thunderbird mail. Do you know of a file
> that can be changed manually?

Interesting.... I've got Xfce and Gnome installed, FWIW. And it sticks. I also don't have Parole installed.

Being a KDE user, I don't know what file holds the key. :-(

Suvayu Ali 09-27-2012 10:25 AM

Change default app. -

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 02:12:21PM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 09/27/2012 05:37 AM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
> > How do I change the default application for playing a video file
> > received from an iPhone [.mov]?
> >
> > Presently I have to save it and play with vlc which works perfectly.
> > Something called "Parole" is all that is offered and I have never
> > succeeded in playing anything using it, considering just removing
> > it. Google describes methods for setting the default but they don't
> > seem applicable to XFCE and F-17/64.
>
> If you start the file manager, "Thunar", and then right click on the
> X.mov file pick "Open with" and then "Open with other Application" you
> should be able to choose vlc and that choice should stick for all .mov
> files.

Another desktop agnostic way might be:

$ xdg-mime default vlc.desktop `xdg-mime query filetype /path/to/file.mov`

To get parole to work, I believe you need the gstreamer packages
installed. This is from my laptop:

gstreamer-0.10.36-1.fc17.x86_64
gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.13-2.fc17.x86_64
gstreamer-plugins-bad-0.10.23-1.fc17.x86_64
gstreamer-plugins-bad-free-0.10.23-8.fc17.x86_64
gstreamer-plugins-bad-free-extras-0.10.23-8.fc17.x86_64
gstreamer-plugins-bad-nonfree-0.10.22-3.fc17.x86_64
gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10.36-2.fc17.x86_64
gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.31-4.fc17.x86_64
gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.19-1.fc17.x86_64
gstreamer-tools-0.10.36-1.fc17.x86_64

GL

--
Suvayu

"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA" 09-27-2012 11:37 AM

Change default app. -

On 27/09/12 06:25, Suvayu Ali types:

xdg-mime default vlc.desktop `xdg-mime query filetype /path/to/file.mov`

Am I missing a file? I re-installed everything in the computer about a
week ago, should have been complete from scratch. I always start with a
USB live spin and then add the extras that I want, mostly with yum,
during the configuration effort ...

[bobg@box9 ~]$ xdg-mime default vlc.desktop `xdg-mime query filetype
/path/to/file.mov`
xdg-mime: file '/path/to/file.mov' does not exist
xdg-mime: mimetype argument missing
Try 'xdg-mime --help' for more information.

[bobg@box9 ~]$ cat xdg-mime
cat: xdg-mime: No such file or directory

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box9

Patrick O'Callaghan 09-27-2012 11:51 AM

Change default app. -

On Thu, 2012-09-27 at 07:37 -0400, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
wrote:
> On 27/09/12 06:25, Suvayu Ali types:
> > xdg-mime default vlc.desktop `xdg-mime query filetype /path/to/file.mov`
>
> Am I missing a file? I re-installed everything in the computer about a
> week ago, should have been complete from scratch. I always start with a
> USB live spin and then add the extras that I want, mostly with yum,

"mostly from yum" might be the problem. Did you install Parole from yum?

> during the configuration effort ...
>
> [bobg@box9 ~]$ xdg-mime default vlc.desktop `xdg-mime query filetype
> /path/to/file.mov`
> xdg-mime: file '/path/to/file.mov' does not exist

You need to substitute the actual filename of the .mov file.

> xdg-mime: mimetype argument missing
> Try 'xdg-mime --help' for more information.
>
> [bobg@box9 ~]$ cat xdg-mime
> cat: xdg-mime: No such file or directory

That's never going to work unless you happen to be in the directory
where the xdg-mime command lives (and if it's an executable then catting
it to the screen is pointless and may screw up your terminal modes). Try
'type xdg-mime'. Besides, you've already demonstrated that you have the
command because it gave you an error message.

poc

"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA" 09-27-2012 01:09 PM

Change default app. -

On 27/09/12 07:51, Patrick O'Callaghan types:

You need to substitute the actual filename of the .mov file.

> xdg-mime: mimetype argument missing
> Try 'xdg-mime --help' for more information.
>
> [bobg@box9 ~]$ cat xdg-mime
> cat: xdg-mime: No such file or directory

That's never going to work unless you happen to be in the directory
where the xdg-mime command lives (and if it's an executable then catting
it to the screen is pointless and may screw up your terminal modes). Try
'type xdg-mime'. Besides, you've already demonstrated that you have the
command because it gave you an error message.

poc

Yes, I see that now. I blindly copy/pasted the command without
thought ...

But I already know that vlc displays .mov files without a problem.
If I save the file vlc will display it, Parole will not.. The
problem is that I can't select vlc from the menu that pops up in
Thunderbird Mail. Usually there is an item "Other" which is not
present. I just need to select the default application. If xdb-mime
must be used to do that I am lost, I don't begin to see what to do
with it!

Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box9

Ed Greshko 09-27-2012 02:42 PM

Change default app. -

On 09/27/2012 09:09 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
> Yes, I see that now. I blindly copy/pasted the command without
> thought ...
>
> But I already know that vlc displays .mov files without a problem.
> If I save the file vlc will display it, Parole will not.. The
> problem is that I can't select vlc from the menu that pops up in
> Thunderbird Mail. Usually there is an item "Other" which is not
> present. I just need to select the default application. If xdb-mime
> must be used to do that I am lost, I don't begin to see what to do
> with it!

Are you actually asking about how to have thunderbird launch an application different from parole?

In thunderbird, have you gone to "Edit---Preferences" and then Attachments to see if there is a "content type" defined? If so, there should be an Action with a drop down where you can change it.

Sergio 09-27-2012 03:25 PM

Change default app. -

Bob, a direct xdg-mime command for mov files is

xdg-mime default vlc.desktop video/x-sgi-movie

Xfce 4.10 has a graphical MIME type editor that makes things even easier.
But right-clicking in Thunar, choosing 'Other...', choosing the application and checking the 'make default etc.' checkbox should work just as well.