Old 09-27-2012, 04:08 PM
"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA"

Default Change default app. -

On 27/09/12 10:42, Ed Greshko types:

Are you actually asking about how to have thunderbird launch an application different from parole?
I suppose that would work for the typical user but that's not the
solution I wanted. I prefer to control what the computer does, if I have
VLC installed I should be able to select it somehow and that has always
been the case! I would select Other > /usr/bin/vlc, check always do it
that way and forget the other stuff that may or may not work.

In thunderbird, have you gone to "Edit---Preferences" and then Attachments to see if there is a "content type" defined? If so, there should be an Action with a drop down where you can change it.

Edit > Preferences > Applications would seem a likely candidate for
accomplishing that but I can't find a way to add the file type MOV:

The message source contains:

--Apple-Mail-E11F90D8-F050-4959-B4F3-5C86AD57E5CF

--Apple-Mail-E11F90D8-F050-4959-B4F3-5C86AD57E5CF

Google produces instructions that look as though they might work if
I could apply them, haven't had much success though.

But it should not be this complicated, normally it give the option
to select Other and that's it.

I can still view the .mov files by saving them so it's not do or
die, just an annoyance. I will check on another computer and see
what happens there. I'll have to rsync the mail files to test that ...

Thanks for the help,

Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box9

Old 09-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Sergio

Sorry for the earlier (wrong) message. Obviously the command is

xdg-mime default vlc.desktop video/quicktime

Old 09-27-2012, 05:14 PM
"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA"

On 27/09/12 12:12, Sergio types:

Sorry for the earlier (wrong) message. Obviously the command is

xdg-mime default vlc.desktop video/quicktime

Yes, that's what I needed, it worked immediately when run as user.
Will it survive reboot? I exited and restarted Thunderbird and it
was still working. I will do the same to the second computer which
also displays the same problem, don't know why but if it's something
I did I generally try to keep them as near identical as I can.

Thanks for the help,

Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box9

Old 09-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Sergio

> > Sorry for the earlier (wrong) message. Obviously the
> command is
> >
> > xdg-mime default vlc.desktop video/quicktime
>

> ***Yes, that's what I needed, it worked
> immediately when run as user.
> ***Will it survive reboot? I exited and
> restarted Thunderbird and it
> ***was still working. I will do the same to
> the second computer which
> ***also displays the same problem, don't know
> why but if it's something
> ***I did I generally try to keep them as near
> identical as I can.
>
> ***Thanks for the help,
>
> ***Bob

That survives a reboot as it's a setting for your user.

It's probably registered in ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

Old 09-27-2012, 07:12 PM
"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA"

On 27/09/12 14:01, Sergio types:

That survives a reboot as it's a setting for your user.

It's probably registered in ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

Ok, this is what I see:

[bobg@box9 ~]$ cat .local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
[Default Applications]
text/html=vlc.desktop
video/quicktime=vlc.desktop

[Added Associations]
text/html=vlc.desktop;

But in the other computer [box7] there is no
.local/share/applications/ and xdg-mime does not work. It will not
run as root either.

[bobg@box7 ~]$ ll .local/share
total 80
drwxr-xr-x. 3 bobg bobg 4096 Sep 9 12:13 font-manager
drwx------. 3 bobg bobg 4096 Aug 7 19:34 gegl-0.2
drwx------. 3 bobg bobg 4096 Aug 7 18:06 gnote
drwx------. 2 bobg bobg 4096 Sep 16 08:36 gvfs-metadata
-rw-------. 1 bobg bobg 49262 Sep 27 14:47 recently-used.xbel
drwx------. 4 bobg bobg 4096 Aug 10 11:04 Trash
drwx------. 2 bobg bobg 4096 Aug 8 13:33 vlc
drwx------. 3 bobg bobg 4096 Sep 16 01:36 zeitgeist

No applications directory.

[bobg@box7 ~]$ xdg-mime default vlc.desktop video/quicktime
touch: cannot touch
`/home/bobg/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list': No such
file or directory
/bin/xdg-mime: line 804:
/home/bobg/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list.new: No such
file or directory

Both computer should be set up the same but obviously they are not.

Any idea what I have to do there?

Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box9

Old 09-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Sergio

> > That survives a reboot as it's a setting for your
> user.
> >
> > It's probably registered in
> ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
>
> ***Ok, this is what I see:
>
> * * ***[bobg@box9 ~]$ cat
> .local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
> * * ***[Default Applications]
> * * ***text/html=vlc.desktop <<<< delete this
> * * ***video/quicktime=vlc.desktop
>
> * * ***[Added Associations] <<<< delete this
> * * ***text/html=vlc.desktop; <<<< delete this

You can delete those lines I pointed.

> ***But in the other computer [box7] there is
> no
> ***.local/share/applications/* and
> xdg-mime does not work. It will not
> ***run as root either.
>
> * * ***[bobg@box7 ~]$ ll
> .local/share
> * * ***total 80
> * * ***drwxr-xr-x. 3 bobg
> bobg* 4096 Sep* 9 12:13 font-manager
> * * ***drwx------. 3 bobg
> bobg* 4096 Aug* 7 19:34 gegl-0.2
> * * ***drwx------. 3 bobg
> bobg* 4096 Aug* 7 18:06 gnote
> * * ***drwx------. 2 bobg
> bobg* 4096 Sep 16 08:36 gvfs-metadata
> * * ***-rw-------. 1 bobg bobg
> 49262 Sep 27 14:47 recently-used.xbel
> * * ***drwx------. 4 bobg
> bobg* 4096 Aug 10 11:04 Trash
> * * ***drwx------. 2 bobg
> bobg* 4096 Aug* 8 13:33 vlc
> * * ***drwx------. 3 bobg
> bobg* 4096 Sep 16 01:36 zeitgeist
>
> ***No applications directory.
>

> * * ***[bobg@box7 ~]$ xdg-mime
> default vlc.desktop video/quicktime
> * * ***touch: cannot touch
> * *
> ***`/home/bobg/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list':
> No such
> * * ***file or directory
> * * ***/bin/xdg-mime: line 804:
> * *
> ***/home/bobg/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list.new:
> No such
> * * ***file or directory
>
> ***Both computer should be set up the same
> but obviously they are not.
>
> ***Any idea what I have to do there?
>
> ***Bob

xdg-mime isn't supposed to be run as root, IIRC.
Try manually creating the applications directory and an empty mimeapps.list

Old 09-27-2012, 08:00 PM
"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA"

On 27/09/12 15:23, Sergio types:
xdg-mime isn't supposed to be run as root, IIRC. Try manually creating
the applications directory and an empty mimeapps.

Ok, I thought of trying that but it seemed too easy. I made the
directory "applications" and an empty file "mimeapps.list" and then
xdg-mime ran and vlc is offered instead of Parole. Don't know why
one computer was configured differently than the other? But the
problem is fixed!

Thank you,

Bob

--