-   -   how to use the wget command to copy whole website to local (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/707393-how-use-wget-command-copy-whole-website-local.html)

Dave Stevens 09-26-2012 01:45 AM

how to use the wget command to copy whole website to local

Quoting yujian <yujian4newsgroup@gmail.com>:

I want to copy a website to my local disk. I use the command wget -r
www.example.com, but I find that only html copyed.

what else were you expecting to be copied? And have you read the man
page? Or maybe an on-line tutorial?

Dave

If all the advertising in the world were to shut down tomorrow, would people
still go on buying more soap, eating more apples, giving their children more
vitamins, roughage, milk, olive oil, scooters and laxatives, learning more
languages by iPod, hearing more virtuosos by radio, re-decorating their
houses, refreshing themselves with more non-alcoholic thirst-quenchers,
cooking more new, appetizing dishes, affording themselves that little extra
touch which means so much? Or would the whole desperate whirligig slow
down, and the exhausted public relapse upon plain grub and elbow-grease?

--- Dorothy L Sayers, in Murder Must Advertise

yujian 09-26-2012 01:51 AM

how to use the wget command to copy whole website to local

于 2012/9/26 9:45, Dave Stevens 写道:

Quoting yujian <yujian4newsgroup@gmail.com>:

I want to copy a website to my local disk. I use the command wget -r
www.example.com, but I find that only html copyed.

what else were you expecting to be copied? And have you read the man
page? Or maybe an on-line tutorial?

Dave

All the files in the website, such as pdf, doc and exe file. I saw
the man page, so that I use wget -r to try to download it.

Dave Stevens 09-26-2012 02:06 AM

how to use the wget command to copy whole website to local

Quoting yujian <yujian4newsgroup@gmail.com>:

于 2012/9/26 9:45, Dave Stevens 写道:

Quoting yujian <yujian4newsgroup@gmail.com>:

I want to copy a website to my local disk. I use the command wget -r
www.example.com, but I find that only html copyed.

what else were you expecting to be copied? And have you read the
man page? Or maybe an on-line tutorial?

Dave

All the files in the website, such as pdf, doc and exe file. I
saw the man page, so that I use wget -r to try to download it.

maybe it would help if you tell us the command line you used.

"Mark C. Allman" 09-26-2012 02:24 AM

On Tue, 2012-09-25 at 19:06 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Quoting yujian <yujian4newsgroup@gmail.com>:
>
> > 于 2012/9/26 9:45, Dave Stevens 写道:

> >> what else were you expecting to be copied? And have you read the
> >> man page? Or maybe an on-line tutorial?
> >>
> >> Dave

> >> All the files in the website, such as pdf, doc and exe file. I
> >> saw the man page, so that I use wget -r to try to download it.
>
> maybe it would help if you tell us the command line you used.

Looks to me like the the command the OP used was:
wget -r <url>

I understand the original question but I've never tried to download a
complete site. The "-m" and "-p" switches look interesting. I'd first
take a few minutes to work through the "man" page. Looks like lots of
good documentation there.

--
Mark C. Allman, PMP, CSM
Founder, See How You Ski

Waldemar Villamayor-Venialbo 09-26-2012 02:33 AM

how to use the wget command to copy whole website to local

Hi,

Try this:

wget --recursive --page-requisites --convert-links --no-parent
--domains ocw.mit.edu --no-check-certificate --continue
"http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-06-linear-algebra-spring-2010/"

it always worked for me, just replacethe <domain> and the <url>

Best regards

Waldemar

Frank Cox 09-26-2012 04:06 AM

how to use the wget command to copy whole website to local

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 09:18:31 +0800
yujian wrote:

> I want to copy a website to my local disk. I use the command wget -r
> www.example.com, but I find that only html copyed.

httrack

Steven Stern 09-26-2012 12:07 PM

On 09/25/2012 11:06 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 09:18:31 +0800
> yujian wrote:
>
>> I want to copy a website to my local disk. I use the command wget -r
>> www.example.com, but I find that only html copyed.
>
> httrack

The appropriate command is

wget --mirror url

but I find it doesn't work if the server does page compression. I get
only the home page.

--
-- Steve

yujian 09-26-2012 01:06 PM

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Steven Stern <subscribed-lists@sterndata.com> wrote:

On 09/25/2012 11:06 PM, Frank Cox wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 09:18:31 +0800

> yujian wrote:

>> I want to copy a website to my local disk. I use the command wget -r

>> www.example.com, but I find that only html copyed.

> httrack

The appropriate command is

* wget --mirror url

but I find it doesn't work if the server does page compression. *I get

only the home page.

A good answer. Thank you very much.*

--

-- Steve