Old 09-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Alan Evans

Default opinions about partition sizes

Hello, insightful users!

I finally got a new desktop system for my home office, so I get to
tinker with a completely fresh install.

My query is how to best divide the storage. I will be installing the
system on SSD, and I tentatively decided to put swap, /home, /var, and
/tmp directories on a separate, conventional hard drive on the
assumption that this is where most of the rapidly changing data (and
most of the disk writes) would be.

I put swap in it's own partition, sized by the old two-times-RAM
(24GB, in my case -- woohoo!) rule of thumb. Not even sure if that
rule still applies.

The rest of the 2TB spindle is configured LVM, and in that reside the
/home, /tmp, and /var directories. In my ignorance, I guessed 50GB for
/var and 100GB for /tmp, and the rest for /home. (I do a lot of audio
and video work, so I figured /tmp might be used heavily.)

Does that arrangement sound sensible? Does anybody have a contrary
opinion about how it should be divided? Or better: is there a way to
make the division between /home, /tmp, and /var more fluid?

-Alan

Old 09-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Waldemar Villamayor-Venialbo

Hello,

I believe the 'two-times-RAM' rule does not hold anymore if you have
4GB RAM or more.

Here is my layout, I have just 4GB RAM

Workstation Partition Layout
sda HDD 114499MB
sda1 PRI /boot ext4 500MB
sda2 PVM 113997MB
vg_station LVM 113984MB
lv_root / ext4 10016MB
lv_var /var ext4 4000MB
lv_opt /opt ext4 6016MB
lv_local /usr/local ext4 4000MB
lv_home /home ext4 512MB
lv_tmp /tmp ext4 1024MB
lv_swap swap 2016MB
/var/lib/apache
/var/lib/mysql
/var/lib/postgresql

The rest of the HDD is reserved for expanding when needed.

You have to plan your /home and /tmp sizes if you do audio/video working...
mine is just a development workstation.

Regards