-   -   SMPT AUTH problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/707-smpt-auth-problem.html)

Franco 11-19-2007 05:28 PM

SMPT AUTH problem

Hi, i have a problem with sendmail and saslv2 authentication,
i have configured sendmail to permit relay to authenticated users
but with right login and password it don't authenticate.
If i try testsaslauthd it work fine and test is ok but when i try
to authenticate via sendmail it don't authenticate me.
This is some information about:
sendmail config:
dnl ### do SMTPAUTH
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5')dnl

dnl ### do STARTTLS
define(`confCACERT_PATH', `/etc/mail/certs')dnl
define(`confCACERT', `/etc/mail/certs/cacert.pem')dnl
define(`confSERVER_CERT', `/etc/mail/certs/sendmail.pem')dnl
define(`confSERVER_KEY', `/etc/mail/certs/sendmail.pem')dnl
define(`confCLIENT_CERT', `/etc/mail/certs/sendmail.pem')dnl
define(`confCLIENT_KEY', `/etc/mail/certs/sendmail.pem')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Family=inet, Port=465, Name=MTA-SSL, M=s')dnl

dnl ###
define(`confDEF_CHAR_SET', `iso-8859-1')dnl
define(`confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE', `15000000')dnl Denial of Service Attacks
define(`confMAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN', `30')dnl Denial of Service Attacks
define(`confCONNECTION_RATE_THROTTLE', `2')dnl Denial of Service Attacks
define(`confMAXRCPTSPERMESSAGE', `50')dnl Denial of service Attacks
define(`confSINGLE_LINE_FROM_HEADER', `True')dnl
define(`confSMTP_LOGIN_MSG', `$j')dnl
define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES', `True')dnl
define(`confTO_INITIAL', `6m')dnl
define(`confTO_CONNECT', `20s')dnl
define(`confTO_HELO', `5m')dnl
define(`confTO_HOSTSTATUS', `2m')dnl
define(`confTO_DATAINIT', `6m')dnl
define(`confTO_DATABLOCK', `35m')dnl
define(`confTO_DATAFINAL', `35m')dnl
define(`confDIAL_DELAY', `20s')dnl
define(`confNO_RCPT_ACTION', `add-apparently-to')dnl
define(`confALIAS_WAIT', `0')dnl
define(`confMAX_HOP', `35')dnl
define(`confQUEUE_LA', `5')dnl
define(`confREFUSE_LA', `12')dnl
define(`confSEPARATE_PROC', `False')dnl
define(`confCON_EXPENSIVE', `true')dnl
define(`confWORK_RECIPIENT_FACTOR', `1000')dnl
define(`confWORK_TIME_FACTOR', `3000')dnl
define(`confQUEUE_SORT_ORDER', `Time')dnl
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS',
`authwarnings,goaway,restrictmailq,restrictqrun,ne edmailhelo')dnl

OSTYPE(linux)dnl
FEATURE(`delay_checks')dnl
FEATURE(`generics_entire_domain')dnl
FEATURE(`local_procmail')dnl
FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
FEATURE(`nouucp',`reject')dnl
FEATURE(`redirect')dnl
FEATURE(`relay_entire_domain')dnl
FEATURE(`use_cw_file')dnl
FEATURE(`virtuser_entire_domain')dnl

FEATURE(dnsbl,`blackholes.mail-abuse.org',
` Mail from $&{client_addr} rejected; see
http://mail-abuse.org/cgi-bin/lookup?$& {client_addr}')dnl

FEATURE(dnsbl,`dialups.mail-abuse.org',
` Mail from dial-up rejected; see http://mail-abuse.org/dul/enduser.htm')dnl

FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')dnl
FEATURE(access_db)dnl
FEATURE(lookupdotdomain)dnl
FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')dnl
FEATURE(`no_default_msa')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl
telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 hostname ESMTP
EHLO localost
250-hostname Hello localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 15000000
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
250-STARTTLS
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP

/usr/sbin/sendmail -d0.1 -bv root
Version 8.13.1
Compiled with: DNSMAP HESIOD HES_GETMAILHOST LDAPMAP LOG MAP_REGEX
MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND NETINET
NETINET6
NETUNIX NEWDB NIS PIPELINING SASLv2 SCANF SOCKETMAP
STARTTLS

TCPWRAPPERS USERDB USE_LDAP_INIT

John Summerfield 11-19-2007 09:46 PM

SMPT AUTH problem

Franco wrote:

Hi, i have a problem with sendmail and saslv2 authentication,
i have configured sendmail to permit relay to authenticated users
but with right login and password it don't authenticate.
If i try testsaslauthd it work fine and test is ok but when i try
to authenticate via sendmail it don't authenticate me.

Most important, what messages are being logged?

Be sure to turn on logging for the highest level, if you don't get
useful leads at first.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Please do not reply off-list

Franco 11-20-2007 11:12 AM

SMPT AUTH problem

John Summerfield ha scritto:

Franco wrote:

Hi, i have a problem with sendmail and saslv2 authentication,
i have configured sendmail to permit relay to authenticated users
but with right login and password it don't authenticate.
If i try testsaslauthd it work fine and test is ok but when i try
to authenticate via sendmail it don't authenticate me.

Most important, what messages are being logged?

Be sure to turn on logging for the highest level, if you don't get
useful leads at first.

Ok i have passed to an high log level sendmail and the problem that
give me is Login Failed i have also undestood where is the problem.
On my server some users are created so user.domain and the
authentication for this user work fine, other users created as
user@domain don't work because sendmail see @domain as realm but

the real user are user@domain and not just user.
Any idea to resolve?

John Summerfield 11-20-2007 08:10 PM

SMPT AUTH problem

Franco wrote:

Hi, i have a problem with sendmail and saslv2 authentication,
i have configured sendmail to permit relay to authenticated users
but with right login and password it don't authenticate.
If i try testsaslauthd it work fine and test is ok but when i try
to authenticate via sendmail it don't authenticate me.

Most important, what messages are being logged?

Be sure to turn on logging for the highest level, if you don't get
useful leads at first.

Ok i have passed to an high log level sendmail and the problem that
give me is Login Failed i have also undestood where is the problem.
On my server some users are created so user.domain and the
authentication for this user work fine, other users created as
user@domain don't work because sendmail see @domain as realm but

the real user are user@domain and not just user.
Any idea to resolve?

I have set up auth on Debian, where I run postfix, so it's not directly
comparable.

My users who don't specify a domain are check against the default domain
name which is the name postfix gives in its greeting.

The difficulty I had was discovering what domain it was using, testing
is all very well, but it's useless testing something that's not what is
being done.

Franco 11-21-2007 07:11 AM

SMPT AUTH problem

Franco wrote:

[...]

Hi John i have resolved, i search on many many how too and found many
exsotic solutions :) than i have found a little how too where i see that
into the start parameter of salsauth into /etc/init.d there was a -r and
this -r used to indicate that the username can have @ into its name and

now work with and without @.