Old 09-24-2012, 03:10 AM
Thomas Cameron

Default Looking for a way to get mp3s off an ipod

Howdy All -

I have an old 80GB iPod that has a bunch of music on it that I'd like to
get off.

I've tried to use gtkpod, but the stock export dumps everything into one
directory. That's not very useful.

Does anyone know of a way to dump an iPod to my filesystem with the format:

/home/Music/ipod/[artist]/[album]/[track]

Thanks!
Thomas

Old 09-24-2012, 03:12 AM
Thomas Cameron

I have an old 80GB iPod that has a bunch of music on it that I'd like to
get off.

I've tried to use gtkpod, but the stock export dumps everything into one
directory. That's not very useful.

Does anyone know of a way to dump an iPod to my filesystem with the format:

/home/Music/ipod/[artist]/[album]/[track]

Thanks!
Thomas

Sorry for the typo, meant:

/home/tcameron/Music/ipod/[artist]/[album]/[track]

TC

Old 09-24-2012, 03:22 AM
JD

I have an old 80GB iPod that has a bunch of music on it that I'd like
to get off.

I've tried to use gtkpod, but the stock export dumps everything into
one directory. That's not very useful.

Does anyone know of a way to dump an iPod to my filesystem with the
format:

/home/Music/ipod/[artist]/[album]/[track]

Thanks!
Thomas

I do not have an ipod, so I have to ask some questions:

Is your ipod filesystem mounted on Linux when you plug your ipod into USB?

If yes, can you browse it from a a gnome terminal?

If yes, is your music already organized on the ipod as ....
/[artist]/[album]/[track] ?

If yes, then do as follows:

cd to your ipod's filesystem just above the ipod directory, so that
when you do ls, you should see the ipod directory.
Now all you do is

mkdir -p /home/Music
tar cf - ipod | tar -C /home/Music -xpf -

when done your music will be be organized as you require.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:27 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Sunday, 23. September 2012. 21.22.50 JD wrote:
> On 09/23/2012 09:10 PM, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> > I have an old 80GB iPod that has a bunch of music on it that I'd like
> > to get off.

Good luck.

> > I've tried to use gtkpod, but the stock export dumps everything into
> > one directory. That's not very useful.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a way to dump an iPod to my filesystem with the
> > format:
> >
> > /home/Music/ipod/[artist]/[album]/[track]
>
> Is your ipod filesystem mounted on Linux when you plug your ipod into USB?

No, generically it isn't. iPod (and iPhone, and I suspect other stuff from
Apple) does not allow its filesystem to be visible via USB transparently. One
has to use iTunes or gtkpod or some other program in order to communicate with
the iPod.

Furthermore, even if one manages to mount the iPod filesystem somehow (there
are ways to do that, at least on a jailbroken iPod), it will not help the OP.
Namely, the music files on the iPod filesystem itself are all dumped in one
single big directory, while the artist/album/track structure is being
maintained in a database.

Thank Apple.

The OP should probably use gtkpod to dump all the music files into a single
directory onto the computer, then copy the appropriate database file from the
iPod, open it and rename all files according to the database entries.

I don't know if there are any tools that might automate that process. Windows
and OSX users use iTunes to "synchronize music libraries" across various
devices. Linux, however, does not seem to be supported by Apple...

HTH, :-)
Marko

Old 09-24-2012, 06:50 AM
Frank Cox

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 23:27:03 -0700 (PDT)
Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> I don't know if there are any tools that might automate that process.

It's my understanding (based on no actual experience) that Apple uses sqlite
extensively on their equipment. Accordingly, there is a reasonable chance that
the database is in sqlite format and could be read and dumped through the
sqlite3 commandline.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:46 AM
"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr."

[...]

Which is sad, you'd think they'd WANT to "play nice" with others in order to expand their market share and make the world a better place, but alas I guess when it's concerning Apple, it's all about Apple! But I'm not flaming, I happen to have an iPod Nano which I use to play music when I'm mowing the lawn, raking the leaves, shovelling the snow etc....

EGO II

Old 09-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Frank Murphy

/home/tcameron/Music/ipod/[artist]/[album]/[track]

TC

http://www.gtkpod.org/wiki/Getting_started#Extracting_tag_information_from_th e_filename

Frank
"Jack of all, fubars"

Old 09-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Hiisi

Definetly it should't be a hard task to write a bash script to sort
mp3 files and move them to apropriate directories having them all in
one directory.
Sorry if it sounds abstact and sorry for top posting

On 24/09/2012, Thomas Cameron <thomas.cameron@camerontech.com> wrote:
> Howdy All -
>
> I have an old 80GB iPod that has a bunch of music on it that I'd like to
> get off.
>
> I've tried to use gtkpod, but the stock export dumps everything into one
> directory. That's not very useful.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to dump an iPod to my filesystem with the format:
>
> /home/Music/ipod/[artist]/[album]/[track]
>
> Thanks!
> Thomas

Hiisi.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:48 PM
Joe Zeff

But I'm not flaming, I happen to have an iPod Nano which I use to play
music when I'm mowing the lawn, raking the leaves, shovelling the snow
etc....

I have an .mp3 player that I use at the gym. Not an iPod. As far as my
Linux computer's concerned, it's just a flash drive and I can move files
to or from it without any special programs. HTH, HAND.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Doug

[...]

I suppose I'm stating the obvious, but: Why not dump the files into
Windows, with its friendly

ipod environment, and then transfer them over to your Linux box?
--doug