Old 09-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Hiisi

Default Looking for a way to get mp3s off an ipod

On 24 September 2012 19:39, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
<--SNIP-->>>>
> I suppose I'm stating the obvious, but: Why not dump the files into
> Windows, with its friendly
> ipod environment, and then transfer them over to your Linux box?
> --doug

Isn't it fedora mailing list? Me propose improvement for list
guidelines. Windoze must be refered only in negative context here ;-)
--
Hiisi.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:02 PM
"Darryl L. Pierce"

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 10:10:02PM -0500, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> Howdy All -
>
> I have an old 80GB iPod that has a bunch of music on it that I'd
> like to get off.
>
> I've tried to use gtkpod, but the stock export dumps everything into
> one directory. That's not very useful.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to dump an iPod to my filesystem with the format:
>
> /home/Music/ipod/[artist]/[album]/[track]

Try Banshee. You can import the files from the iPod, then organize them
which will rename the files to something human readable and place them
into a directory structure on your system that makes sense.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce@gmail.com>
http://mcpierce.multiply.com/

Old 09-24-2012, 06:03 PM
"Darryl L. Pierce"

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 11:27:03PM -0700, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> No, generically it isn't. iPod (and iPhone, and I suspect other stuff from
> Apple) does not allow its filesystem to be visible via USB transparently. One
> has to use iTunes or gtkpod or some other program in order to communicate with
> the iPod.

You can access the files on an iPod as a USB drive. I do so on my system
(F17, Gnome, iPod 160GB) without an issue.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Thomas Cameron