Old 09-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Joe Zeff

Default How to rescue your partitions after upgrade to Fedora 18 Alpha eats them

On 09/24/2012 04:44 PM, Jakub Kicinski wrote:

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 08:09:11 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 2012-09-23 at 13:33 +0200, Jakub Kicinski wrote:

>>I recently had a weird problem after "upgrade" to Fedora 18 Alpha. I
>>decided to share the solution, maybe it will help someone.

>This should be posted to the Fedora test list, not here. F18 is not a
>released system.

Sorry, won't happen again.

Please don't think you've offended us, Kuba, or that we want you to go
away and stay there. It's just that in this case, you asked a question
that we're really not qualified to answer, so Patrick pointed you in the
right direction.

And, there's no reason to sign off of the list if you haven't already
done so. It won't be too long before F18 has its coming out party,
making it very appropriate for this list.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:31 AM
Ian Malone

On 25 September 2012 00:55, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
> On 09/24/2012 04:44 PM, Jakub Kicinski wrote:

>> Sorry, won't happen again.
>

> Please don't think you've offended us, Kuba, or that we want you to go away
> and stay there. It's just that in this case, you asked a question that
> we're really not qualified to answer, so Patrick pointed you in the right
> direction.
>
> And, there's no reason to sign off of the list if you haven't already done
> so. It won't be too long before F18 has its coming out party, making it
> very appropriate for this list.

Actually, I think it's worth having this mentioned on this list. The
problem (F18 alpha will eat your data) is fairly well known on the
devel list, but the fact that Jakub thought this needed a post
suggests that people on the users list aren't aware of it at a time at
which they might start trying Alpha. So starting a 'here be dragons'
thread is not completely unwarranted. (Also a bit extreme to say we
absolutely cannot mention F18 here when the assumption on devel is
often that you are a maintainer or developer, this is the users list
after all.)

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk