Old 09-22-2012, 05:42 PM
"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr."

Default Travelling Linux.....

Hello all, I am in need of some advice. I have received a tablet for my
birthday (Acer Iconia Tablet A200-XE) My question is, is there a way to
install Fedora on the tablet? I know I have a USB port on it and that I
can put Fedora on the USB stick as an install file, but how do I get the
TABLET to read info from the usb stick FIRST and then install Fedora on
it? It's not like a PC or laptop where you can alter this info in it's
BIOS....at least not that I can tell, but I want to try and get Linux on
there (and yes, I KNOW that Android is a form of Linux!) I just want to
see if it's possible and how it would run, also does Fedora have the
necessary "tools" to work with a touch-screen environment?.....just
curious and thanks!!

EGO II

Old 09-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Fedora User

On Sat, 2012-09-22 at 13:42 -0400, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
> Hello all, I am in need of some advice. I have received a tablet for my
> birthday (Acer Iconia Tablet A200-XE) My question is, is there a way to
> install Fedora on the tablet?

Start here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxonandroid/

BTW, I have already turned one phone into a paperweight so you need a
COMPLETE backup first.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:32 PM
"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr."

Hello all, I am in need of some advice. I have received a tablet for my
birthday (Acer Iconia Tablet A200-XE) My question is, is there a way to
install Fedora on the tablet?

Start here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxonandroid/

BTW, I have already turned one phone into a paperweight so you need a
COMPLETE backup first.

Cool!....thanks!

EGO II

Old 09-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Alan Cox

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 13:42:55 -0400
"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr." <eoconnor25@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all, I am in need of some advice. I have received a tablet for my
> birthday (Acer Iconia Tablet A200-XE) My question is, is there a way to
> install Fedora on the tablet?

That will depend if its unlocked, if there is a Fedora kernel for that
exact ARM board (unlike most PC platforms ARM platforms are very varied).

In addition the standard Fedora desktop is a bloated memory hungry blob
so I imagine it would suck on this hardware, especially if you didn't
have an accelerated 3D X server.

However you've got some chance of getting Debian on it

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=28995664

is the thread working on this stuff.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:59 AM
"EGO2.1"

Hello all, I am in need of some advice. I have received a tablet for my
birthday (Acer Iconia Tablet A200-XE) My question is, is there a way to
install Fedora on the tablet?

That will depend if its unlocked, if there is a Fedora kernel for that
exact ARM board (unlike most PC platforms ARM platforms are very varied).

In addition the standard Fedora desktop is a bloated memory hungry blob
so I imagine it would suck on this hardware, especially if you didn't
have an accelerated 3D X server.

However you've got some chance of getting Debian on it

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=28995664

is the thread working on this stuff.

Excellent!....thanks for this info, as it stands right now I
don't think they've "perfected" the exact recipe for getting
Fedora onto tablets as yet, but I can always hope that in the
future they'll nail it. I think I'm going to go with Debian, only
because it appears to have the least problems running on the
various hardware out there.....until then I'll keep on chugging
with my Fedora 217 laptop! Thanks again for the link and the
info...

EGO II

Old 09-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Ranjan Maitra

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 22:59:43 -0400 EGO2.1 <eoconnor25@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/22/2012 07:21 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 13:42:55 -0400
> > "Eddie G. O'Connor Jr." <eoconnor25@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello all, I am in need of some advice. I have received a tablet for my
> >> birthday (Acer Iconia Tablet A200-XE) My question is, is there a way to
> >> install Fedora on the tablet?
> > That will depend if its unlocked, if there is a Fedora kernel for that
> > exact ARM board (unlike most PC platforms ARM platforms are very varied).
> >
> > In addition the standard Fedora desktop is a bloated memory hungry blob
> > so I imagine it would suck on this hardware, especially if you didn't
> > have an accelerated 3D X server.
> >
> > However you've got some chance of getting Debian on it
> >
> > http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=28995664
> >
> > is the thread working on this stuff.
>

> Excellent!....thanks for this info, as it stands right now I don't think
> they've "perfected" the exact recipe for getting Fedora onto tablets as
> yet, but I can always hope that in the future they'll nail it. I think
> I'm going to go with Debian, only because it appears to have the least
> problems running on the various hardware out there.....until then I'll
> keep on chugging with my Fedora 217 laptop! Thanks again for the link
> and the info...

Hi Eddy,

I am also interested in this and I do have a toy to play with. with no
consequences. In case you are able to, could you please document
somewhere all the steps you undertook to get this to work?

Many thanks,
Ranjan

--
Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
deleted on receipt. For those needing to send personal or professional

Old 09-23-2012, 04:09 PM
"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr."

[...]

Will do Ranjan!

EGO II