Old 09-22-2012, 06:44 AM
Manish Kathuria

Default USB Installation - LiveUSB Creator

I need to use a USB stick for installing Fedora 17 on a system and
LiveUSB Creator is the program for creating a bootable Live USB
sticks. As per the documentation, we need to use the Live ISO image
to create a Live USB stick using this program. However, if the sole
purpose is installation, can we use the installation CD or DVD ISO
images for creating the USB installation media ?

Thanks,

Manish

Old 09-22-2012, 06:52 AM
JD

I need to use a USB stick for installing Fedora 17 on a system and
LiveUSB Creator is the program for creating a bootable Live USB
sticks. As per the documentation, we need to use the Live ISO image
to create a Live USB stick using this program. However, if the sole
purpose is installation, can we use the installation CD or DVD ISO
images for creating the USB installation media ?

Thanks,

Manish

Well, you could just dd the installation ISO to the usb stick,
and then boot from the USB and install onto hard drive.

I have already done that - with an interesting side effect.
The system kept thinking that my USB stick was a cdrom
and would not let me erase it (i.e. overwrite it).
Perhaps I had done something wrong, I do not remember
exactly what.

Good luck.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Manish Kathuria

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/22/2012 12:44 AM, Manish Kathuria wrote:
>>
>> I need to use a USB stick for installing Fedora 17 on a system and
>> LiveUSB Creator is the program for creating a bootable Live USB
>> sticks. As per the documentation, we need to use the Live ISO image
>> to create a Live USB stick using this program. However, if the sole
>> purpose is installation, can we use the installation CD or DVD ISO
>> images for creating the USB installation media ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Manish
>
> Well, you could just dd the installation ISO to the usb stick,
> and then boot from the USB and install onto hard drive.
>
> I have already done that - with an interesting side effect.
> The system kept thinking that my USB stick was a cdrom
> and would not let me erase it (i.e. overwrite it).
> Perhaps I had done something wrong, I do not remember
> exactly what.
>
> Good luck.

Thanks for your tip.

Actually my objective is to create an USB installation media and then
delete a particular file (BOOTX64.efi) to prevent it from loading. As
you had mentioned, using dd changed the USB stick to a read only media
and showed its file system type as ISO9660. And as a result it did not
allow me to make any changes to the files in it.

I also tried using the LiveUSB Creator with the installation DVD ISO
as the source and created the Installation USB and tried to install
F17 using it. But anaconda threw an error after creating the
partitions because it could not locate the yum related files in the
repodata directory of the USB. The files were very much there but
somehow their names were truncated during the USB creation process.

So I think I will have to download and use a Live CD / DVD image only
for carrying out this Live USB creation exercise. Hope it will allow
me to delete the file(s) I need to remove.

--
Manish

Old 09-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sat, 2012-09-22 at 20:41 +0530, Manish Kathuria wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 09/22/2012 12:44 AM, Manish Kathuria wrote:
> >>
> >> I need to use a USB stick for installing Fedora 17 on a system and
> >> LiveUSB Creator is the program for creating a bootable Live USB
> >> sticks. As per the documentation, we need to use the Live ISO image
> >> to create a Live USB stick using this program. However, if the sole
> >> purpose is installation, can we use the installation CD or DVD ISO
> >> images for creating the USB installation media ?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Manish
> >
> > Well, you could just dd the installation ISO to the usb stick,
> > and then boot from the USB and install onto hard drive.
> >
> > I have already done that - with an interesting side effect.
> > The system kept thinking that my USB stick was a cdrom
> > and would not let me erase it (i.e. overwrite it).
> > Perhaps I had done something wrong, I do not remember
> > exactly what.
> >
> > Good luck.
> >

> Thanks for your tip.
>
> Actually my objective is to create an USB installation media and then
> delete a particular file (BOOTX64.efi) to prevent it from loading. As
> you had mentioned, using dd changed the USB stick to a read only media
> and showed its file system type as ISO9660. And as a result it did not
> allow me to make any changes to the files in it.
>
> I also tried using the LiveUSB Creator with the installation DVD ISO
> as the source and created the Installation USB and tried to install
> F17 using it. But anaconda threw an error after creating the
> partitions because it could not locate the yum related files in the
> repodata directory of the USB. The files were very much there but
> somehow their names were truncated during the USB creation process.
>
> So I think I will have to download and use a Live CD / DVD image only
> for carrying out this Live USB creation exercise. Hope it will allow
> me to delete the file(s) I need to remove.
>
> --
> Manish

As I have said often you need to download unetbootin from
unetbootin.sourceforge.net. This program will allow you to install a
live USB version of maybe 100 different Linuxes , including F17 to a USB
stick. Or it will install a download of any software on your machine
onto a USB stick.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Lailah

I need to use a USB stick for installing Fedora 17 on a system and
LiveUSB Creator is the program for creating a bootable Live USB
sticks. As per the documentation, we need to use the Live ISO image
to create a Live USB stick using this program. However, if the sole
purpose is installation, can we use the installation CD or DVD ISO
images for creating the USB installation media ?

Thanks,

Manish

Yes, you can.* Just remember that DVD ISO fits in pendrive's size of memory.*

If you want save some kind of data in the pendrive itself, just reserve some amount of memory* (in example:* 100 MBs).

Unetbootin works well too.

Sorry for my bad English

Hope this helps

Lailah