-   -   Apache/chromium slow (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/705691-apache-chromium-slow.html)

Roger 09-20-2012 01:38 AM

Apache/chromium slow

I have Fedora 16 latest updates developing a drupal 7 site on my home pc
in /var/www/html/drupal/.

I'm finding that some admin pages, eg, permissions, can take over 2
minutes to load and similar to save changes.
top doesn't show anything out of the ordinary, memory is no more than
<20% of 2 gig, /swap is not used.

How can I watch/trace exactly what is happening to cause significant delays.
These delays do not occur on the remove server, just on my home machine.
Thanks for help
roger

Steven Stern 09-20-2012 03:25 AM

Apache/chromium slow

On 09/19/2012 08:38 PM, Roger wrote:
> I have Fedora 16 latest updates developing a drupal 7 site on my home pc
> in /var/www/html/drupal/.
>
> I'm finding that some admin pages, eg, permissions, can take over 2
> minutes to load and similar to save changes.
> top doesn't show anything out of the ordinary, memory is no more than
> <20% of 2 gig, /swap is not used.
> How can I watch/trace exactly what is happening to cause significant
> delays.
> These delays do not occur on the remove server, just on my home machine.
> Thanks for help
> roger

When on your home box, make sure that you're not hitting a lot of
SELinux errors. If you move files into /var/www, rather than copying
them via cp, you'll keep SELinux very busy. As root, try "restorecon -v
-r /var/www" to make sure everything there has the right contexts.

Finally, grab a copy of the tuning-primer script and check that MySQL is
tuned properly. Get it at http://www.day32.com/MySQL/tuning-primer.sh

--
-- Steve

Tim 09-20-2012 03:27 AM

Apache/chromium slow

On Thu, 2012-09-20 at 11:38 +1000, Roger wrote:
> I'm finding that some admin pages, eg, permissions, can take over 2
> minutes to load and similar to save changes.
> top doesn't show anything out of the ordinary, memory is no more than
> <20% of 2 gig, /swap is not used.

The first things that spring to mind with slow, but not CPU intensive,
are:

DNS resolution problems.

And somewhere, something is trying to connect to an outside service,
whether that be because you've configured an address wrongly, or it's
calling home to mummy (which could be snooping, or your browser doing
one of those "is this page dangerous?" checks).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Roger 09-21-2012 10:14 AM

Apache/chromium slow

On 20/09/12 13:25, Steven Stern wrote:

[...]

Thank you.
I unzipped Drupal into the /var/www/html/ folder, I don't know whether
this constitutes mv or cp.

Ran restorecon as above and it did it's thing, found faults and repaired.
Ran tuning-primer.sh an dit found significant faults in my.cnf which I
researched on the web and fixed.

It does seem much faster now, so thank you again.

Can I do the same in Ubuntu 12.04?
Roger

Steven Stern 09-21-2012 03:59 PM

Apache/chromium slow

On 09/21/2012 05:14 AM, Roger wrote:
> On 20/09/12 13:25, Steven Stern wrote:
>> On 09/19/2012 08:38 PM, Roger wrote:
>>> I have Fedora 16 latest updates developing a drupal 7 site on my home pc
>>> in /var/www/html/drupal/.
>>>
>>> I'm finding that some admin pages, eg, permissions, can take over 2
>>> minutes to load and similar to save changes.
>>> top doesn't show anything out of the ordinary, memory is no more than
>>> <20% of 2 gig, /swap is not used.
>>> How can I watch/trace exactly what is happening to cause significant
>>> delays.
>>> These delays do not occur on the remove server, just on my home machine.
>>> Thanks for help
>>> roger
>>>

>> When on your home box, make sure that you're not hitting a lot of
>> SELinux errors. If you move files into /var/www, rather than copying
>> them via cp, you'll keep SELinux very busy. As root, try "restorecon -v
>> -r /var/www" to make sure everything there has the right contexts.
>>
>> Finally, grab a copy of the tuning-primer script and check that MySQL is
>> tuned properly. Get it at http://www.day32.com/MySQL/tuning-primer.sh
>>

> Thank you.
> I unzipped Drupal into the /var/www/html/ folder, I don't know whether
> this constitutes mv or cp.
> Ran restorecon as above and it did it's thing, found faults and repaired.
> Ran tuning-primer.sh an dit found significant faults in my.cnf which I
> researched on the web and fixed.
> It does seem much faster now, so thank you again.
>
> Can I do the same in Ubuntu 12.04?
> Roger

Ubuntu? Maybe... Certainly the tuning primer stuff. MySQL tuning is
important for drupal. Also, be sure to turn on caching once you're done
with the development phase of your site. It's under
/admin/config/development/performance

--
-- Steve