-   -   Loosing the keyboard (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/705617-loosing-keyboard.html)

Geoffrey Leach 09-19-2012 08:04 PM

Loosing the keyboard

I'm running Xfce on Fedora 17. Every so often (daily?) I loose the
keyboard. Mouse works fine. I've been trying to discover what
process is running before loss but not after. The only processes that
I've been able to identify are kworkers.

Are there any suggestions as to what the cause might be?

The only processes that I can identify from ps before and after are
kworkers, most often (but not exclusively) is [kworker/0:2] Is there
any way to identify what the kworkers are assigned to? (The problem has
continued over several kernels)

Logout-login cures the problem.

Thanks.

Mateusz Marzantowicz 09-19-2012 08:15 PM

Loosing the keyboard

On 19.09.2012 22:04, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> I'm running Xfce on Fedora 17. Every so often (daily?) I loose the
> keyboard. Mouse works fine. I've been trying to discover what
> process is running before loss but not after. The only processes that
> I've been able to identify are kworkers.
>
> Are there any suggestions as to what the cause might be?
>
> The only processes that I can identify from ps before and after are
> kworkers, most often (but not exclusively) is [kworker/0:2] Is there
> any way to identify what the kworkers are assigned to? (The problem has
> continued over several kernels)
>
> Logout-login cures the problem.
>
> Thanks.

Sounds very mysterious, especially this part with lost keyboard. What
exactly does it mean? Are you unable to type in characters or what? What
apps are involved and how do you know that keyboard is lost?

kworker is a kernel thread and it has nothing to do with keyboard. The k
in the beginning stands for kernel not keyboard.

Maybe you have broken keyboard? Does this happen with other keyboards
attached to this computer?

Mateusz Marzantowicz

Matthew Miller 09-19-2012 08:23 PM

Loosing the keyboard

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 01:04:30PM -0700, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> I'm running Xfce on Fedora 17. Every so often (daily?) I loose the
> keyboard. Mouse works fine. I've been trying to discover what

usb keyboard?

--
Matthew Miller _☁_ Fedora Cloud Architect _☁_ <mattdm@fedoraproject.org>

Andras Simon 09-19-2012 08:42 PM

Loosing the keyboard

2012/9/19, Geoffrey Leach <geoff@hughes.net>:
> I'm running Xfce on Fedora 17. Every so often (daily?) I loose the
> keyboard. Mouse works fine. I've been trying to discover what
> process is running before loss but not after. The only processes that
> I've been able to identify are kworkers.
>
> Are there any suggestions as to what the cause might be?

Have a look at this:

HTH,
Andras

Joe Zeff 09-19-2012 09:23 PM

Loosing the keyboard

Maybe you have broken keyboard? Does this happen with other keyboards
attached to this computer?

That's an interesting idea. After all, he says that he's "loosing" the
keyboard not "losing" it.

Frank Cox 09-19-2012 09:31 PM

Loosing the keyboard

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 14:23:39 -0700
Joe Zeff wrote:

> On 09/19/2012 01:15 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> > Maybe you have broken keyboard? Does this happen with other keyboards
> > attached to this computer?
>
> That's an interesting idea. After all, he says that he's "loosing" the
> keyboard not "losing" it.

So all he needs to do is tighten the nut between the keyboard and the chair?

Bill Shirley 09-19-2012 09:38 PM

Loosing the keyboard

Maybe you have broken keyboard? Does this happen with other keyboards
attached to this computer?

That's an interesting idea. After all, he says that he's "loosing" the
keyboard not "losing" it.

So all he needs to do is tighten the nut between the keyboard and the chair?

Excellent! You have my kind of humor. :-)

Bill

Sjoerd Mullender 09-19-2012 09:53 PM

Loosing the keyboard

On 2012-09-19 22:04, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> I'm running Xfce on Fedora 17. Every so often (daily?) I loose the
> keyboard. Mouse works fine. I've been trying to discover what
> process is running before loss but not after. The only processes that
> I've been able to identify are kworkers.
>
> Are there any suggestions as to what the cause might be?
>
> The only processes that I can identify from ps before and after are
> kworkers, most often (but not exclusively) is [kworker/0:2] Is there
> any way to identify what the kworkers are assigned to? (The problem has
> continued over several kernels)
>
> Logout-login cures the problem.
>
> Thanks.

Do you use the gdm desktop manager to log in? Do you perhaps hold the
shift key down for longer than 8 seconds?
Try holding the shift key for at least 8 seconds and see if that helps
getting the keyboard back.

My solution was to switch over to lightdm.

--
Sjoerd Mullender

Lailah 09-20-2012 10:54 PM

Loosing the keyboard

El mi, 19-09-2012 a las 13:04 -0700, Geoffrey Leach escribi:

I'm running Xfce on Fedora 17. Every so often (daily?) I loose the
keyboard. Mouse works fine. I've been trying to discover what
process is running before loss but not after. The only processes that
I've been able to identify are kworkers.

Are there any suggestions as to what the cause might be?

The only processes that I can identify from ps before and after are
kworkers, most often (but not exclusively) is [kworker/0:2] Is there
any way to identify what the kworkers are assigned to? (The problem has
continued over several kernels)

Logout-login cures the problem.

Thanks.

Hello!

******* In the GDM/KDM menu there's an option to restart X.* Also you can restart X with

Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.* Try choosing it* (or typing it) and after this log in your user as usual.* Tell us if it works.

Regards,

Lailah

Geoffrey Leach 09-21-2012 12:58 AM

Loosing the keyboard

Thanks to all who replied, especially the snark.

I'm replying this way because mailings from the list have been
disabled. Excessive bounces, they say.

the system in question is a laptop, so there's only one kbd, and its
not USB.

The problem is that for no apparent reason typing on the kbd does not
produce and input to, say, gnome-terminal. This happens with any app
that accepts kbd input. It does not apply to the mouse.

Logout-login (via GDM) cures the problem, until the next time, so the
kbd is not broken.

Pointers to bugzilla and fedora forum are much appreciated. I'll try
the workarounds suggested.