-   -   cd reader external (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/705481-cd-reader-external.html)

Mark Haney 09-19-2012 12:48 PM

cd reader external

On 09/19/2012 08:18 AM, Patrick Dupre wrote:

Hello,

Can I use (mount?) a cd reader from another computer?
Both computers are on internet, In aother words can I do a
mount 122.255.988.10:/dev/cdrom or similar?

Thank.

What exactly are you trying to do? Maybe there is a better way to
accomplish what you want. I've done that very thing with sshfs and NFS,
but only for RO operations.

--

Mark Haney
Software Developer/Consultant

Terry Polzin 09-19-2012 02:17 PM

cd reader external

Rick Stevens 09-19-2012 04:50 PM

cd reader external

On 09/19/2012 05:18 AM, Patrick Dupre uttered this comment:

Hello,

Can I use (mount?) a cd reader from another computer?
Both computers are on internet, In aother words can I do a
mount 122.255.988.10:/dev/cdrom or similar?

Not really. You can ssh to the remote box, mount the media on the
remote box, then export that mount from the remote box via NFS or CIFS.

On your local box, you'd mount the export from the remote box using the
appropriate mechanism (NFS or CIFS).

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" 09-19-2012 07:16 PM

cd reader external

Rick Stevens 09-19-2012 09:46 PM

cd reader external

On 09/19/2012 12:16 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson uttered this comment:

On 09/19/2012 05:18 AM, Patrick Dupre uttered this comment:

Hello,

Can I use (mount?) a cd reader from another computer?
Both computers are on internet, In aother words can I do a
mount 122.255.988.10:/dev/cdrom or similar?

Not really. You can ssh to the remote box, mount the media on the
remote box, then export that mount from the remote box via NFS or

CIFS.

On your local box, you'd mount the export from the remote box

using the

appropriate mechanism (NFS or CIFS).

I wounder if ISCSI would let you do this?

It would if the remote device was an iSCSI target and everything had
been set up cleanly. Remember that iSCSI only offers up raw block
devices. The mount of the remote device would have to know what
filesystem type the remote device was. iSCSI can be confusing.

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" 09-19-2012 11:35 PM

cd reader external

Tim 09-20-2012 03:14 AM

cd reader external

On Wed, 2012-09-19 at 14:18 +0200, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> Can I use (mount?) a cd reader from another computer?
> Both computers are on internet, In aother words can I do a
> mount 122.255.988.10:/dev/cdrom or similar?

You'd mount it on the computer it's connected to, then export that mount
to your network. However, changing discs would be a pain, you'd have to
unexport then unmount it.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Rick Stevens 09-20-2012 04:57 PM

cd reader external

On 09/19/2012 04:35 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson uttered this comment:

[...]

I was thinking the local system would take care of mounting the
device using SCSI commands over the network to access it as if it
were attached to the local machine. But I may be misunderstanding
what iSCSI does. I have not looked into it in depth.

Essentially that's it. The machine with the physical hardware offers
it up (at this point, it's called the "iSCSI target"), but it appears
as just a raw block device--there's no filesystem overlaid on it.

Your local machine (the "iSCSI initiator) would have to know what the
target was to mount it with the appropriate filesystem applied.

It sounds like you know a lot more then I do about it. Would the
device ID from the remote device show that it is a CD/DVD drive?
Could the drive be handled the same way as an USB CD/DVD drive? But
using iSCSI instead of USB as the communication channel to the
drive? The same upper level drivers used for almost all CD/DVD
drives, with only the low level drivers changed to use iSCSI instead
of low level SCSI/ATA/USB to communicate with the drive?

What I am thinking of is that all the remote system would do is
handle the communications between the network and the physical
device driver, just like it handles communication between the
physical device driver and the high level SCSI drivers when you
access the device locally. Then on the local machine, the ISCSI
drivers would take the place of the physical device driver, and the
rest would be handled as if it were a local drive. The remote
machine would never have to know what file system is involved. It
would just pass commands and data between the network and the
device. (Start read at track x, sector y, and return z blocks of
data.) The remote machine would never mount the file system.

You handle the target like any other raw block device. If you want
to apply a filesystem you can. If you want to just read N raw blocks,
that's fine, too. I have, in the past, exported storage farm LUNs as
iSCSI targets to iSCSI initiators running Ingress or Oracle databases
and those initiators use the LUN as the datastore. There's no filesystem
per se, just a raw device that Oracle uses as the storage.

As I said before, iSCSI can be confusing (targets, initiators, sessions,
lions, tigers, bears, oh yy!) but once you're into it, it's
decipherable. Just keep in mind that the devices passed around (targets)
are raw block devices and are treated as such by the initiators.

- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital ricks@alldigital.com -
- -
- Working with Linux is like wrestling with a worthy opponent. -
- Working with Windows is like picking on an annoyed child with a -
- loaded handgun. -