Old 09-18-2012, 04:37 AM
"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr."

Default Software Removal....

Hey all,

I'm running F-17 on a 32 Bit System with 3GB RAM, and an Intel 2935
Proc. My problem is: I'm trying to remove some apps that are installed,
namely ones that don't even function....some title are: "Tetravex" -
Some sort of mutated Sudoku game, "Nibbles" some form of worm game and a
few others. I have tried going to the "Add / Remove Software" module but
it doesn't even find these games. So how can I get rid of them without
having to do a total reinstall? I tried having yum do it, but when I
type the names of the games in yum it states there's nothing to remove
or uninstall because it fins nothing!

Cheers!

EGO II

Old 09-18-2012, 05:02 AM
Frank Cox

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 00:37:17 -0400
Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:

> I'm trying to remove some apps that are installed,
> namely ones that don't even function....some title are: "Tetravex" -
> Some sort of mutated Sudoku game, "Nibbles" some form of worm game and a
> few others. I have tried going to the "Add / Remove Software" module but
> it doesn't even find these games. So how can I get rid of them without
> having to do a total reinstall? I tried having yum do it, but when I
> type the names of the games in yum it states there's nothing to remove
> or uninstall because it fins nothing!

yum remove gnome-games gnome-games-extra

Old 09-18-2012, 01:35 PM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

On 09/18/2012 05:37 AM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
> namely ones that don't even function....some title are: "Tetravex" -
> Some sort of mutated Sudoku game, "Nibbles" some form of worm game and a
> few others. I have tried going to the "Add / Remove Software" module but
> it doesn't even find these games. So how can I get rid of them without
> having to do a total reinstall? I tried having yum do it, but when I

Slightly OT for your specific question and Frank's already provided a
solution but I keep a shell alias around in .bashrc to look up which
package owns a particular command. It just glues together rpm -qf and which:

qwhich () { if [ "$1" == "" ]; then echo "usage: qwhich <cmd>" ; fi ;
rpm -qf `which $1` ;}

$ qwhich sol
aisleriot-3.2.3.2-2.fc17.x86_64

It's pronounced like "quiche" should not be.

The repoquery command from yum-utils can answer similar questions for
packages in remote repositories but it's much faster to just ask RPM for
things installed locally.

Regards,
Bryn.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:26 PM
"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr."

I'm trying to remove some apps that are installed,
namely ones that don't even function....some title are: "Tetravex" -
Some sort of mutated Sudoku game, "Nibbles" some form of worm game and a
few others. I have tried going to the "Add / Remove Software" module but
it doesn't even find these games. So how can I get rid of them without
having to do a total reinstall? I tried having yum do it, but when I
type the names of the games in yum it states there's nothing to remove
or uninstall because it fins nothing!

yum remove gnome-games gnome-games-extra

This worked! Thanks a lot Frank! Now I can begin the "housekeeping" in
earnest, I plan on staying on F-17 until F-18 is "cleared" of the bugs,
glitches, and hangups a new release ultimately experiences!

EGO II

Old 09-18-2012, 11:33 PM
"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr."

[...]

Thanks Bryn! I used Frank's method and it got rid of not just that
annoying game that I never played but quite a few of them that were
installed with "Lord-knows-what"!....I'm also going to save this info
from you as well.....(do I need to get permission or check for your
"Copyright" on it?...LoL!)

EGO II