Old 09-17-2012, 08:39 PM
"Jeffrey Ross"

Default Fedora 16 to 17

I'm about to take the plunge and upgrade, I've upgraded systems in the
past with varying degrees of initial success and eventually everything
works out ok.

My problem this time is I have 2 systems running F16 x86_64 the Systems
are almost identical and I know they will cause me some grief so I'm
looking for some suggestions.

System 1 -
/boot - md1 - sd[ab]1
/ - md127 - sd[ab]2
swap - md3 - sd[ab]3
/usr - md5 - sd[ab]5
/var - md6 - sd[ab]6
/home - md7 - sd[ab]7

System 2 -
/boot - md127 - sd[ab]1
/ - md2 - sd[ab]2
/var - md3 - sd[ab]3
swap - md5 - sd[ab]5
/home - md6 - sd[ab]6

System 1 is obviously going to give me issues due to the separate / and
/usr partitions, looking at the space available on root there maybe barely
enough to move /usr to the / partition, however there is room to move / to
the /usr partition. How much sense does it make to move the partitions
(in single user mode) and if I move / to the existing /usr partition how
to I tell the kernel where the new / partition is during startup?

Next issue and it affects both systems is that /var is a separate
partition, I found on the release notes for upgrading via YUM that there
are some extra steps due to the separate partition.

Lastly is the raid1 setup also going to cause me grief? if so any
suggestions on how to deal with it?

System 1 is all superblock 0.90 and System 2 is all superblock 1.2 except
boot which is 0.90

Thanks, Jeff

Old 09-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Mateusz Marzantowicz

On 17.09.2012 22:39, Jeffrey Ross wrote:
> I'm about to take the plunge and upgrade, I've upgraded systems in the
> past with varying degrees of initial success and eventually everything
> works out ok.
>
> My problem this time is I have 2 systems running F16 x86_64 the Systems
> are almost identical and I know they will cause me some grief so I'm
> looking for some suggestions.

I think that migration of second system is easier so I'd do it first to
see how it goes.

> System 1 -
> /boot - md1 - sd[ab]1
> / - md127 - sd[ab]2
> swap - md3 - sd[ab]3
> /usr - md5 - sd[ab]5
> /var - md6 - sd[ab]6
> /home - md7 - sd[ab]7
>

> System 2 -
> /boot - md127 - sd[ab]1
> / - md2 - sd[ab]2
> /var - md3 - sd[ab]3
> swap - md5 - sd[ab]5
> /home - md6 - sd[ab]6
>

> System 1 is obviously going to give me issues due to the separate / and
> /usr partitions, looking at the space available on root there maybe barely
> enough to move /usr to the / partition, however there is room to move / to
> the /usr partition. How much sense does it make to move the partitions
> (in single user mode) and if I move / to the existing /usr partition how
> to I tell the kernel where the new / partition is during startup?

This kind of information is passed to the kernel by grub. Look at
/etc/default/grub for appropriate options.
> Next issue and it affects both systems is that /var is a separate
> partition, I found on the release notes for upgrading via YUM that there
> are some extra steps due to the separate partition.

I'm not aware of any issues related to having separate /var partition
but I was doing a fresh install with separate /var so it might be a
different story.

> Lastly is the raid1 setup also going to cause me grief? if so any
> suggestions on how to deal with it?

I have Fedora 17, encrypted LVM on RAID1 and it works perfectly! I can't
remember any problems during installation but you should carefully
"assemble" custom file system based on the old one. Paper with some
notes what goes where is very helpful.

> System 1 is all superblock 0.90 and System 2 is all superblock 1.2 except
> boot which is 0.90
>
> Thanks, Jeff

Mateusz Marzantowicz