Old 09-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Kevin Wilson

Default mount path for disk on key

Hello,
When I insert a disk on key into a desktop running
Fedora release 17 it is mounted under
/run/media/root/B5A2-5890

Is there a way for setting a different path when inserting a disk on key
into fedora 17 ?

rgs,
Kevin

Old 09-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Mateusz Marzantowicz

On 17.09.2012 19:47, Kevin Wilson wrote:
> Hello,
> When I insert a disk on key into a desktop running
> Fedora release 17 it is mounted under
> /run/media/root/B5A2-5890
>
> Is there a way for setting a different path when inserting a disk on key
> into fedora 17 ?

Yes, but the path will be only slightly different. Simplest way to
change this ugly B5A2-5890 is to relabel disk partition using e.g.
dosfslabel or disk manager utility. Removable disk will be mounted
under: /run/media/USER/LABEL. More advanced options could be found in
disk manager tool under mount options (related to specific partition).

You can always add static entry in /etc/fstab that will mount this
particular ugly looking partition in some nice directory anywhere in the
file system. But I strongly recommend using disk manager for that.

Mateusz Marzantowicz

Old 09-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Kevin Wilson

Hi,
Thanks!
Why do you think that disk manager is better than
static entry in /etc/fstab ?

rgs,
Kevin

Old 09-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Mateusz Marzantowicz

On 18.09.2012 19:35, Kevin Wilson wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks!
> Why do you think that disk manager is better than
> static entry in /etc/fstab ?
>
> rgs,
> Kevin

Actually I don't think so. I think that disk manager is easier to use
and guides the user through configuration process. Manual editing
/etc/fstab gives exactly the same result but requires copy/paste of
partition UIDs and LABELs and some typing which is not required when
using disk manager.

Mateusz Marzantowicz