Old 09-17-2012, 02:30 PM

Default F16 => F17 PreUpgrade Invalid Device ID Dumps to dracut Shell

I delayed the upgrade of my main Fedora machine after reading all of
the issues that were happening with the preupgrade process. I've done
several fresh installs without issue, so I suspected that my delay would
have provided enough time for the preupgrade issues to be worked out. I
was wrong.

I started with a fully updated F16 box and ran preupgrade. There were
video issues during the process, but after a long wait with a blank
screen it rebooted. When booting into the F17 kernel it dies on an
invalid device id error and drops to a dracut shell. I've validated
that the device id in question is in fact correct. I've tried to
replace that device id with the actual device name (/dev/sda3). I've
tried to run grub2-mkconfig and I've tried to reinstall grub2. Nothing
works. Thankfully, I am able to boot into an F16 kernel (with some
errors), so the machine it completely dead.

I've searched all over and not found any reference to this exact
problem. Any ideas?

I'm really trying to avoid doing a fresh install because I don't want
to recreated the installation and config of my entire machine, servers,
and dev environment. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian Hanks

Old 09-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 17.09.2012 16:30, schrieb bhanks@bhanks.net:
> I delayed the upgrade of my main Fedora machine after reading all of the issues that were happening with the
> preupgrade process. I've done several fresh installs without issue, so I suspected that my delay would have
> provided enough time for the preupgrade issues to be worked out. I was wrong.
>
> I started with a fully updated F16 box and ran preupgrade. There were video issues during the process, but after a
> long wait with a blank screen it rebooted. When booting into the F17 kernel it dies on an invalid device id error
> and drops to a dracut shell. I've validated that the device id in question is in fact correct. I've tried to
> replace that device id with the actual device name (/dev/sda3). I've tried to run grub2-mkconfig and I've tried to
> reinstall grub2. Nothing works. Thankfully, I am able to boot into an F16 kernel (with some errors), so the
> machine it completely dead.
>
> I've searched all over and not found any reference to this exact problem. Any ideas?
>
> I'm really trying to avoid doing a fresh install because I don't want to recreated the installation and config of
> my entire machine, servers, and dev environment. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

why in the world are you not doing the upgrade with yum?
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum#Fedora_16_-.3E_Fedora_17

preupgrade is a blackbox with success or fail (often fail)
after a yum upgrade you can verify and fix any boot-config

Old 09-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Neil Bird

Around about 17/09/12 15:30, bhanks@bhanks.net typed ...

I've searched all over and not found any reference to this exact
problem. Any ideas?

I had grub issues after an upgrade (DVD-based, though), and mine was down
(among *many* other things) to a stuffed /boot/grub2/device.map, which I
then had to re-create from grub2-mkdevicemap (all done from a recovery-boot
off an install DVD, chroot'ed into /mnt/sysimage).

I learnt (& have since forgotten, before you ask!) far more about grub2
than I wanted that weekend ...

http://fnxweb.com/blog/2012/06/21/pain-with-grub2-when-upgrading-from-fedora-14-to-fedora-16/

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature