-   -   Installing MATE (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/704478-installing-mate.html)

Bill Davidsen 09-17-2012 12:29 AM

Installing MATE

I got some questions about MATE and wanted to install it and actually see how it
worked. I started with a machine on fc17, which had Cinnamon and XFCE installed.
After doing the yum install, I don't see MATE in the list of managers available
at login. Before I spend a lot of time in documentation, it this normal? Does it
not drop in like KDE, etc?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Ed Greshko 09-17-2012 01:35 AM

Installing MATE

On 09/17/2012 08:29 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I got some questions about MATE and wanted to install it and actually see how it worked. I started with a machine on fc17, which had Cinnamon and XFCE installed. After doing the yum install, I don't see MATE in the list of managers available at login. Before I spend a lot of time in documentation, it this normal? Does it not drop in like KDE, etc?

MATE is not currently in the Fedora repositories.

To install, follow the instructions at http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download .... Which are...

yum install https://dl.dropbox.com/u/49862637/Mate-desktop/mate-desktop-fedora-updates/16/noarch/mate-desktop-release-16-6.fc16.noarch.rpm

yum groupinstall MATE-Desktop

FYI.... http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MATE-Desktop contains the status for inclusion of MATE in F18.

Ed Greshko 09-17-2012 01:49 AM

Installing MATE

On 09/17/2012 09:35 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 09/17/2012 08:29 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I got some questions about MATE and wanted to install it and actually see how it worked. I started with a machine on fc17, which had Cinnamon and XFCE installed. After doing the yum install, I don't see MATE in the list of managers available at login. Before I spend a lot of time in documentation, it this normal? Does it not drop in like KDE, etc?
>>
> MATE is not currently in the Fedora repositories.
>
> To install, follow the instructions at http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download .... Which are...
>
> yum install https://dl.dropbox.com/u/49862637/Mate-desktop/mate-desktop-fedora-updates/16/noarch/mate-desktop-release-16-6.fc16.noarch.rpm
>
> yum groupinstall MATE-Desktop
>
> FYI.... http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MATE-Desktop contains the status for inclusion of MATE in F18.

I erred in giving you the instructions for F16.... So, just replace 6 with 7 or go to their instructions. :-)

Jon Ingason 09-17-2012 07:37 AM

Installing MATE

[...]

Not so simple, the right URL is:

yum install
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/49862637/Mate-desktop/fedora_17/mate-desktop-fedora-updates/noarch/mate-desktop-release-17-2.fc17.noarch.rpm

;-)

--
Regards
Jon Ingason

Jon Ingason 09-17-2012 08:01 AM

Installing MATE

I got some questions about MATE and wanted to install it and actually
see how it worked. I started with a machine on fc17, which had Cinnamon
and XFCE installed. After doing the yum install, I don't see MATE in the
list of managers available at login. Before I spend a lot of time in
documentation, it this normal? Does it not drop in like KDE, etc?

You will find the soulution in this URL:

http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/session

Or just do

echo "exec ck-launch-session mate-session" > ~/.xinitrc

and then logout and login. Then you get the possiblity to chose either
Gmome or Mate.

--
Regards
Jon Ingason

Rex Dieter 09-17-2012 03:55 PM

Installing MATE

Bill Davidsen wrote:

> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 09/17/2012 08:29 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>>> I got some questions about MATE and wanted to install it and actually
>>> see how it worked. I started with a machine on fc17, which had Cinnamon
>>> and XFCE installed. After doing the yum install, I don't see MATE in the
>>> list of managers available at login. Before I spend a lot of time in
>>> documentation, it this normal? Does it not drop in like KDE, etc?
>>>

>> MATE is not currently in the Fedora repositories.
>>
> Okay, that explaines it, I thought the stuff called mate-window-manager,
> which really is most definitely in the Fedora repositories, was the mate I
> wanted.
> mate-window-manager.i686 1.4.0-3.fc17
> updates
> mate-window-manager-devel.i686 1.4.0-3.fc17
> updates
> mate-window-manager-libs.i686 1.4.0-3.fc17
> updates
>
> So what on Earth is the stuff in the repository, then?

Some intermediate f17 packages made their way into updates as a way to test
things for the ongoing f18 feature efforts. for better or worse, this
conflicted with the obs/dropbox mate repo packages, so we (fedora) aren't
adding any new packages to f17, at least until the f18 efforts are 100%
complete.

Bill Davidsen 09-17-2012 04:32 PM

Installing MATE

Rex Dieter wrote:

Bill Davidsen wrote:

Ed Greshko wrote:

[...]

Okay, so the MATE stuff is in the Fedora repository but doesn't seem to work and
conflicts with the repository which might work. I will just tell the user with
the the problem that it's not actually supported in fc17 even though it is there
in the repo. The user has already had more luck than I have, got it to come up
and not work, as opposed to not even be on the menu.

Thanks for all the info, I dropped it on my fc18 test list.

Ed Greshko 09-17-2012 08:36 PM

Installing MATE

On 09/18/2012 12:32 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Okay, so the MATE stuff is in the Fedora repository but doesn't seem to work and conflicts with the repository which might work. I will just tell the user with the the problem that it's not actually supported in fc17 even though it is there in the repo. The user has already had more luck than I have, got it to come up and not work, as opposed to not even be on the menu.

FYI, I installed MATE from the obs/dropbox on F17 and it seems to work just fine.

Bill Davidsen 09-18-2012 06:08 PM

Installing MATE