Old 09-17-2012, 12:16 AM
Jim

Default Booting Grub2 on F17

Fedora 17

This is a dual boot computer Fedora and Windows 7

How would I edit /boot/grub2/grub.cfg to get the the boot process to
stop at the Menu to be able to select Fedora or Windows7.

I do not want to have to hit "Return" or "Tab" to get it to stop at the
Selection Menu.
A new User to Linux will be operating this computer and I do not want to
put him in a position to have to hit extra keys, to make his selection.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Zdenek Pytela

Jim pise:
> Fedora 17
>
> This is a dual boot computer Fedora and Windows 7
>
> How would I edit /boot/grub2/grub.cfg to get the the boot process to
> stop at the Menu to be able to select Fedora or Windows7.
>
> I do not want to have to hit "Return" or "Tab" to get it to stop at
> the Selection Menu.
> A new User to Linux will be operating this computer and I do not
> want to put him in a position to have to hit extra keys, to make his
> selection.

Tip 2: To configure the menu timeout
Edit /etc/default/grub to include a line
GRUB_TIMEOUT=seconds
Specifying a timeout of -1 disables the timeout.

Tip 1: Remember grub2-mkconfig
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

--

--Zdenek Pytela, <pytela@phil.muni.cz>

Old 09-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Jim

This is a dual boot computer Fedora and Windows 7

How would I edit /boot/grub2/grub.cfg to get the the boot process to
stop at the Menu to be able to select Fedora or Windows7.

I do not want to have to hit "Return" or "Tab" to get it to stop at
the Selection Menu.
A new User to Linux will be operating this computer and I do not
want to put him in a position to have to hit extra keys, to make his
selection.

Tip 2: To configure the menu timeout
Edit /etc/default/grub to include a line
GRUB_TIMEOUT=seconds
Specifying a timeout of -1 disables the timeout.

Tip 1: Remember grub2-mkconfig
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Thanks for the info, I changed Timeout=10 and Splash-menu came up.

The command GRUB_GFXMODE= , is only for the Splash-Menu resolution, and
not setting the Desktop Resolution , IS that correct ?

My Desktop resolution setting comes up with 1920x1080 and causes a
unstable resolution and causes x-server to crash.

If I use KRandRTray and set resolution to 1280x1024 this it is stable,
but I want to have it set automatic as I log in to Desktop.

How would one do this ?
I use a nvidia GeForce 6150SE card and the Nouveau driver.