Old 09-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Jim

Default start SSHD in services

Fedora 17
SSHD is not in or started in Services , how do I start it ?

Old 09-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 16.09.2012 19:00, schrieb Jim:
> Fedora 17
> SSHD is not in or started in Services , how do I start it?

systemctl enable sshd.service
systemctl start sshd.service

man systemctl
man systemd

Old 09-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Arthur Dent

On Sun, 2012-09-16 at 13:00 -0400, Jim wrote:
> Fedora 17
> SSHD is not in or started in Services , how do I start it ?

As root:
systemctl enable sshd.service (to ensure it starts at boot time)
systemctl start sshd.service (to start it)
systemctl restart sshd.service (to restart it)
systemctl stop sshd.service (to stop it)

I still find this a useful resource:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SysVinit_to_Systemd_Cheatsheet

Hope that helps...

Mark

Old 09-16-2012, 07:11 PM
jdow

SSHD is not in or started in Services , how do I start it ?

As root:
systemctl enable sshd.service (to ensure it starts at boot time)
systemctl start sshd.service (to start it)
systemctl restart sshd.service (to restart it)
systemctl stop sshd.service (to stop it)

I still find this a useful resource:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SysVinit_to_Systemd_Cheatsheet

Hope that helps...

Mark

Gee, they could make for even more keyboarding my requiring an essay
about why you need this action to take place followed by the word
"please". They screwed up. (hint, isn't the ".service" suffix rather
redundantly needless repetition?)

{+_+}

Old 09-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 16.09.2012 21:11, schrieb jdow:
> On 2012/09/16 10:08, Arthur Dent wrote:
>> On Sun, 2012-09-16 at 13:00 -0400, Jim wrote:
>>> Fedora 17
>>> SSHD is not in or started in Services , how do I start it ?
>>
>> As root:
>> systemctl enable sshd.service (to ensure it starts at boot time)
>> systemctl start sshd.service (to start it)
>> systemctl restart sshd.service (to restart it)
>> systemctl stop sshd.service (to stop it)
>>
>> I still find this a useful resource:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SysVinit_to_Systemd_Cheatsheet
>>
>> Hope that helps...
>>
>> Mark
>
> Gee, they could make for even more keyboarding my requiring an essay
> about why you need this action to take place followed by the word
> "please". They screwed up. (hint, isn't the ".service" suffix rather
> redundantly needless repetition?)

this is a poor upstream decision of systemd
there would also be possible .path, .socket, .tagrget

but i also do not understand why not DEFAULTING to .service

Old 09-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Joe Zeff

Gee, they could make for even more keyboarding my requiring an essay
about why you need this action to take place followed by the word
"please". They screwed up. (hint, isn't the ".service" suffix rather
redundantly needless repetition?)

If nothing else, systemctl should assume that as an extension if none is
supplied. It's not exactly rocket surgery, considering that back in the
old CP/M days compilers were able to do the equivalent.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:03 PM
jdow

Gee, they could make for even more keyboarding my requiring an essay
about why you need this action to take place followed by the word
"please". They screwed up. (hint, isn't the ".service" suffix rather
redundantly needless repetition?)

If nothing else, systemctl should assume that as an extension if none is
supplied. It's not exactly rocket surgery, considering that back in the old
CP/M days compilers were able to do the equivalent.

When is the last time you had to type the ".exe" in order to run a file
with a .exe suffix - on a DOS/Winders based machine? On the other paw,
why bother with the suffix at all? Even AmigaDOS got that answer right.

{^_-}

Old 09-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Matthew Miller

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 12:11:19PM -0700, jdow wrote:
> >I still find this a useful resource:
> >http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SysVinit_to_Systemd_Cheatsheet
> >Hope that helps...
> Gee, they could make for even more keyboarding my requiring an essay
> about why you need this action to take place followed by the word
> "please". They screwed up. (hint, isn't the ".service" suffix rather
> redundantly needless repetition?)

You can also use the old chkconfig and service commands -- they forward to
the systemctl actions.

The new system is certainly more wordy, and the user interface could
probably stand some refinement for real-world users. For this simple action,
it seems particularly over-wordy. This supports a more flexible system, but
when you're just trying to enable ssh you probably don't really care.

As eventually everything is converted to systemctl, making 'service' be the
more user-friendly interface for the simple case may be the best way to go.
What do you think?

--
Matthew Miller -- Fedora Cloud Architect -- <mattdm@fedoraproject.org>

Old 09-17-2012, 01:30 AM
Ed Greshko

On 09/17/2012 03:11 AM, jdow wrote:
> On 2012/09/16 10:08, Arthur Dent wrote:
>> On Sun, 2012-09-16 at 13:00 -0400, Jim wrote:
>>> Fedora 17
>>> SSHD is not in or started in Services , how do I start it ?
>>
>> As root:
>> systemctl enable sshd.service (to ensure it starts at boot time)
>> systemctl start sshd.service (to start it)
>> systemctl restart sshd.service (to restart it)
>> systemctl stop sshd.service (to stop it)
>>
>> I still find this a useful resource:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SysVinit_to_Systemd_Cheatsheet
>>
>> Hope that helps...
>>
>> Mark
>
> Gee, they could make for even more keyboarding my requiring an essay
> about why you need this action to take place followed by the word
> "please". They screwed up. (hint, isn't the ".service" suffix rather
> redundantly needless repetition?)

tab completion works very well.

systemc(tab) en(tab) ssh(tab)

Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 AM
"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA"

On 09/16/2012 09:30 PM, Ed Greshko types:

tab completion works very well.

systemc(tab) en(tab) ssh(tab)

Why doesn't tab completion work for me?

Package 1:bash-completion-2.0-1.fc17.noarch already installed
and latest version
Nothing to do

[root@box9 bobg]# system [nothing happens when I press Tab.]

What am I doing wrong?

This is F-17 64 bit/xfce up to date derived from a "USB Spin if that
matters.

Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD