Old 09-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Ed Greshko

Default start SSHD in services

On 09/17/2012 04:36 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
> Why doesn't tab completion work for me?
>
> Package 1:bash-completion-2.0-1.fc17.noarch already installed
> and latest version
> Nothing to do
>
> [root@box9 bobg]# system [nothing happens when I press Tab.]
>
> What am I doing wrong?

You're typing "system" and a single tab? Nothing happens on the 1st tab since their is more than a single option. type "system"tab-tab and you should see what is available to you....

There happens to be only one command starting with "systemc" which is why I wrote what I did.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:48 AM
"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA"

On 09/17/2012 04:40 AM, Ed Greshko types:

You're typing "system" and a single tab? Nothing happens on the 1st tab since their is more than a single option. type "system"tab-tab and you should see what is available to you....

There happens to be only one command starting with "systemc" which is why I wrote what I did.

Yes, that seems to be it. I was expecting it to act on the first
press. Not sure it's consistent in operation but works well enough
to be useful.

Thanks,

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box9

Old 09-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Suvayu Ali

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 05:41:21PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 12:11:19PM -0700, jdow wrote:
> > >I still find this a useful resource:
> > >http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SysVinit_to_Systemd_Cheatsheet
> > >Hope that helps...
> > Gee, they could make for even more keyboarding my requiring an essay
> > about why you need this action to take place followed by the word
> > "please". They screwed up. (hint, isn't the ".service" suffix rather
> > redundantly needless repetition?)
>
> You can also use the old chkconfig and service commands -- they forward to
> the systemctl actions.
>
> The new system is certainly more wordy, and the user interface could
> probably stand some refinement for real-world users. For this simple action,
> it seems particularly over-wordy. This supports a more flexible system, but
> when you're just trying to enable ssh you probably don't really care.
>
> As eventually everything is converted to systemctl, making 'service' be the
> more user-friendly interface for the simple case may be the best way to go.
> What do you think?

AFAIR, when systemd was introduced Fedora release notes warned that
although it is supposed to be backwards compatible, the results of
chkconfig commands was not reliable. However service does work all the
time.

Sorry I do not have a reference to cite at the moment.

--
Suvayu

Old 09-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Ed Greshko

On 09/17/2012 04:48 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
> Yes, that seems to be it. I was expecting it to act on the first
> press. Not sure it's consistent in operation but works well enough
> to be useful.

AFAIK, it is pretty consistent.... If there is more than one possibility, nothing will happen on the first tab and the second tab will reveal the choices.

[root@meimei ~]# systemctl st(tab-tab) results in
start status stop

Old 09-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 17.09.2012 10:48, schrieb Bob Goodwin - Zuni:
> On 09/17/2012 04:40 AM, Ed Greshko types:
>> You're typing "system" and a single tab? Nothing happens on the 1st tab since their is more than a single
>> option. type "system"tab-tab and you should see what is available to you....
>>
>> There happens to be only one command starting with "systemc" which is why I wrote what I did.
>
> Yes, that seems to be it. I was expecting it to act on the first
> press. Not sure it's consistent in operation but works well enough
> to be useful.

it is consistent

EVERY completion with more then 1 possibility needs TWO times <TAB>
this is nothing which is controlled by systemctl or the command

Old 09-17-2012, 09:39 AM
"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA"

On 09/17/2012 05:05 AM, Ed Greshko types:

Yes, that seems to be it. I was expecting it to act on the first
> press. Not sure it's consistent in operation but works well enough
> to be useful.

AFAIK, it is pretty consistent.... If there is more than one possibility, nothing will happen on the first tab and the second tab will reveal the choices.

[root@meimei ~]# systemctl st(tab-tab) results in
start status stop

--

Yes, I can see where it can be useful for commands I don't use often
as when I'm not sure if it's ctrl or ctl, conf or cfg, etc.

[bobg@box9 ~]$ alsa
alsactl alsa-info.sh alsamixer alsaunmute
alsa-info alsaloop alsaucm

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box9