Old 09-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Arthur Dent

Default Clamd and systemd

Hello all,

Has anyone got a simple walkthrough for configuring clamd and getting it
working with systemd on F17?

I am getting lost in the myriad of <SERVICE> and PID (etc. etc.) things
I have to change and .conf files I have to edit and move...

In particular, what am I supposed to do with
the /usr/lib/systemd/system/clamd@.service file?

On previous Fedora installs (pre F15) I used to use this excellent
script which took all the pain out of setup:
http://blog.christophersmart.com/2009/12/17/script-for-configuring-clamav-server-on-fedora/

if that's line-wrapped try this:
http://tinyurl.com/clamdscript

but I am not confident that this script will now properly configure
systemd now that I am rebuilding a F17 server.

Any hints, tips, guides, handholding, or smacks on the head gratefully
received...

Thanks

Mark

Old 09-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Zdenek Pytela

Arthur Dent pise:
> Hello all,
>
> Has anyone got a simple walkthrough for configuring clamd and getting it
> working with systemd on F17?
>
> I am getting lost in the myriad of <SERVICE> and PID (etc. etc.) things
> I have to change and .conf files I have to edit and move...
>
> In particular, what am I supposed to do with
> the /usr/lib/systemd/system/clamd@.service file?
Not to touch ;-). Just run
systemctl enable clamd.scan.service
systemctl start clamd.scan.service

> On previous Fedora installs (pre F15) I used to use this excellent
> script which took all the pain out of setup:
> http://blog.christophersmart.com/2009/12/17/script-for-configuring-clamav-server-on-fedora/
>
> if that's line-wrapped try this:
> http://tinyurl.com/clamdscript
>
> but I am not confident that this script will now properly configure
> systemd now that I am rebuilding a F17 server.
>
> Any hints, tips, guides, handholding, or smacks on the head gratefully
> received...
The script should be adapted for 17 convention, but generally
it might (?) work. Commands like chkconfig are redirected, paths like
/var/run have apropriate links.
I have my clamav service working without any hacking but configuring
/etc/freshclam.conf and possibly (in one case) the /etc/clamd.d/* files.

--

--Zdenek Pytela, <pytela@phil.muni.cz>

Old 09-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Arthur Dent

On Mon, 2012-09-17 at 11:04 +0200, Zdenek Pytela wrote:
> Arthur Dent pise:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Has anyone got a simple walkthrough for configuring clamd and getting it
> > working with systemd on F17?
> >
> > I am getting lost in the myriad of <SERVICE> and PID (etc. etc.) things
> > I have to change and .conf files I have to edit and move...
> >
> > In particular, what am I supposed to do with
> > the /usr/lib/systemd/system/clamd@.service file?
> Not to touch ;-). Just run
> systemctl enable clamd.scan.service
> systemctl start clamd.scan.service

Hi - Thanks for that, but I'm afraid that was one of the very many
things I tried. It didn't work.

# systemctl enable clamd.scan.service
Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory

What tells it that it is a "scan" service? That bit of the puzzle seems
to be missing...

Any ideas?

Thanks again

Mark

Old 09-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Zdenek Pytela

Arthur Dent pise:
> On Mon, 2012-09-17 at 11:04 +0200, Zdenek Pytela wrote:
> > Arthur Dent pise:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > Has anyone got a simple walkthrough for configuring clamd and getting it
> > > working with systemd on F17?
> > >
> > > I am getting lost in the myriad of <SERVICE> and PID (etc. etc.) things
> > > I have to change and .conf files I have to edit and move...
> > >
> > > In particular, what am I supposed to do with
> > > the /usr/lib/systemd/system/clamd@.service file?
> > Not to touch ;-). Just run
> > systemctl enable clamd.scan.service
> > systemctl start clamd.scan.service
>
> Hi - Thanks for that, but I'm afraid that was one of the very many
> things I tried. It didn't work.
>
> # systemctl enable clamd.scan.service
> Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
>
> What tells it that it is a "scan" service? That bit of the puzzle seems
> to be missing...
The main question is: what do you want to do? Just check files on
disk or check them when they are uploaded on a webserver or check incoming
and outcoming mail? Then, do you want continous updates of virus database or
just update rpm packages?
You most probably need to install clamav (+its dependencies) and
clamav-update, maybe also clamav-scanner with clamav-scanner-systemd which
contains the .service file. But I am just guessing. There are 19 clamav
related packages.

--

--Zdenek Pytela, <pytela@phil.muni.cz>

Old 09-18-2012, 07:56 AM
Frank Murphy

On 16/09/12 10:29, Arthur Dent wrote:

On previous Fedora installs (pre F15) I used to use this excellent
script which took all the pain out of setup:
http://blog.christophersmart.com/2009/12/17/script-for-configuring-clamav-server-on-fedora/

I have used this on F17/F18/Rawhide,
there are some caveats though.
rw permissions, making sure both freshclam-clamd.conf,
clamav.conf both have the same database path.
Some others can't remember of the top of my head.

Frank
"Jack of all, fubars"

Old 09-18-2012, 08:56 AM
"Arthur Dent"

> Arthur Dent pise:

>> getting it

>> things

>> > Not to touch ;-). Just run
>> > systemctl enable clamd.scan.service
>> > systemctl start clamd.scan.service
>>
>> Hi - Thanks for that, but I'm afraid that was one of the very many
>> things I tried. It didn't work.
>>
>> # systemctl enable clamd.scan.service
>> Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
>>
>> What tells it that it is a "scan" service? That bit of the puzzle seems
>> to be missing...
> The main question is: what do you want to do? Just check files on
> disk or check them when they are uploaded on a webserver or check incoming
> and outcoming mail? Then, do you want continous updates of virus database
> or
> just update rpm packages?

I do use clamav for occasional file scanning, but the primary reason for
this install to to scan incoming email. I have a procmail recipe which
uses clamd to scan and filter mail. I have freshclam running via cron and
I also use the sane-security 3rd party signatures.

> You most probably need to install clamav (+its dependencies) and
> clamav-update, maybe also clamav-scanner with clamav-scanner-systemd which
> contains the .service file. But I am just guessing. There are 19 clamav
> related packages.

I am at work at the moment I and I can no longer SSH into my F17 box (the
BOFH sysadmin here has blocked all "non-essential" inbound and outboud
ports - but I am working on him to get my access back!) so I can't check,
but I think I have installed all the required packages with the possible
exception of clamav-scanner-systemd. When I get home I will check that
out. I think that may be the cause of my problem.

Thanks! I will report back...

Mark

Old 09-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Arthur Dent

On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 09:56 +0100, Arthur Dent wrote:
> > Arthur Dent pise:

> >> getting it

> >> things

> >> Hi - Thanks for that, but I'm afraid that was one of the very many
> >> things I tried. It didn't work.
> >>
> >> # systemctl enable clamd.scan.service
> >> Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
> >>
> >> What tells it that it is a "scan" service? That bit of the puzzle seems
> >> to be missing...
> > The main question is: what do you want to do? Just check files on
> > disk or check them when they are uploaded on a webserver or check incoming
> > and outcoming mail? Then, do you want continous updates of virus database
> > or
> > just update rpm packages?
>
> I do use clamav for occasional file scanning, but the primary reason for
> this install to to scan incoming email. I have a procmail recipe which
> uses clamd to scan and filter mail. I have freshclam running via cron and
> I also use the sane-security 3rd party signatures.
>
> > You most probably need to install clamav (+its dependencies) and
> > clamav-update, maybe also clamav-scanner with clamav-scanner-systemd which
> > contains the .service file. But I am just guessing. There are 19 clamav
> > related packages.
>
> I am at work at the moment I and I can no longer SSH into my F17 box (the
> BOFH sysadmin here has blocked all "non-essential" inbound and outboud
> ports - but I am working on him to get my access back!) so I can't check,
> but I think I have installed all the required packages with the possible
> exception of clamav-scanner-systemd. When I get home I will check that
> out. I think that may be the cause of my problem.
>
> Thanks! I will report back...

Well sadly no joy...

# yum install clamav-scanner-systemd

# systemctl enable clamd.scan.service
Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory

# rpm -qa | grep clam
clamav-server-systemd-0.97.5-1700.fc17.noarch
clamav-update-0.97.5-1700.fc17.i686
clamav-filesystem-0.97.5-1700.fc17.noarch
clamav-lib-0.97.5-1700.fc17.i686
clamav-scanner-systemd-0.97.5-1700.fc17.noarch
clamav-unofficial-sigs-3.7.1-7.fc17.noarch
clamav-0.97.5-1700.fc17.i686
clamav-data-0.97.5-1700.fc17.noarch
clamav-scanner-0.97.5-1700.fc17.noarch
clamav-server-0.97.5-1700.fc17.i686

Anything else I should have?

Any other ideas?

Thanks again...

Mark

Old 09-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Bill Shirley

"What tells it that it is a "scan" service? That bit of the puzzle
seems
to be missing..."

Whatever is the parameter after the @ and before the dot* becomes %i
in the service file.* Look at the service file:

[Unit]

Description = clamd scanner (%i) daemon

After = syslog.target nss-lookup.target network.target

[Service]

Type = simple

ExecStart = /usr/sbin/clamd -c /etc/clamd.d/%i.conf --nofork=yes

Restart = on-failure

PrivateTmp = true

so clamd@scan.service invokes clamd
with the scan.conf file as it's
configuration file.

This way you can have multiple clamd services each using a different
config file.* Just create another config file in /etc/clamd.d/my_config.conf and:

ln -s /lib/systemd/system/clamd@.service /etc/systemd/system/clamd@my_config.service

You should have the /etc/clamd.d/scan.conf I think:

[root@moses shorewall]# rpm -qf /etc/clamd.d/scan.conf

clamav-scanner-0.97.5-1700.fc17.noarch

Bill

Old 09-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Bill Shirley

It's not clamd.scan.service.* It's clamd@scan.service.

[root@moses shorewall]#
systemctl is-active clamd@scan.service

active

Old 09-19-2012, 09:47 AM
"Arthur Dent"

> "What tells it that it is a "scan" service? That bit of the puzzle seems
> to be missing..."
>
> Whatever is the parameter after the @ and before the dot becomes %i in
> the service file. Look at the service file:
> [Unit]
> Description = clamd scanner (%i) daemon
> After = syslog.target nss-lookup.target network.target
>
> [Service]
> Type = simple
> ExecStart = /usr/sbin/clamd -c /etc/clamd.d/%i.conf --nofork=yes
> Restart = on-failure
> PrivateTmp = true
>
> so clamd@scan.service invokes clamd with the scan.conf file as it's
> configuration file.
> This way you can have multiple clamd services each using a different
> config file. Just create another config file in
> /etc/clamd.d/my_config.conf and:
> ln -s /lib/systemd/system/clamd@.service
> /etc/systemd/system/clamd@my_config.service
>
> You should have the /etc/clamd.d/scan.conf I think:
>
> [root@moses shorewall]# rpm -qf /etc/clamd.d/scan.conf
> clamav-scanner-0.97.5-1700.fc17.noarch

Thank you Bill for a helpful and, more importantly, informative reply. I
think this will not only help me to solve my problem but, even better,
help me to understand where I was going wrong.

As before, I don't have access to the machine right now, so i will try
when I get home to work through this and get it right.

I will once again report back later...

Thanks again. Your help is much appreciated.

Mark