Old 09-16-2012, 03:05 AM
fred smith

Default how 2 make LibreOffice the default app for RTF files?

Can't figure out how to get F17 to use LibreOffice Writer when opening a
RTF file,... It seems to want to use Calibre for that. The "Preferred
applications" item on the menu only offers a few programs, and LO isn't
one of 'em.

BTW, this is for the MATE desktop, though pretty much the same question
applies to XFCE or Gnome.

thanks!

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------
Do you not know? Have you not heard?

Old 09-16-2012, 03:58 AM
Ed Greshko

On 09/16/2012 11:05 AM, fred smith wrote:
> Can't figure out how to get F17 to use LibreOffice Writer when opening a
> RTF file,... It seems to want to use Calibre for that. The "Preferred
> applications" item on the menu only offers a few programs, and LO isn't
> one of 'em.
>
> BTW, this is for the MATE desktop, though pretty much the same question
> applies to XFCE or Gnome.

Don't know anything about MATE. And you've not said anything about "how" you are opening the file.

However, in GNOME 3 and using Nautilus to open the file...all you need to do is right click on the file, choose Properties and then make the selection in the "Open with" tab and make it the default.

In KDE using Dolphin it seems it is already configured that way. "System Settings"--->"File Associations". Search for *.rtf and LibreOffice is at the top of the list.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:19 AM
Ed Greshko

On 09/16/2012 11:58 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Don't know anything about MATE. And you've not said anything about "how" you are opening the file.

FWIW, I decided to install MATE. It seems to have followed my settings from GNOME 3. But, its application Caja (Nautilus like) has the same right click, properties, open with tab to change settings.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:52 PM
fred smith

On Sun, SOP 16, 2012 at 11:58:08AM +0800, Ed Garish wrote:
> On 09/16/2012 11:05 AM, fred smith wrote:
> > Can't figure out how to get F17 to use LibreOffice Writer when opening a
> > RTF file,... It seems to want to use Calibre for that. The "Preferred
> > applications" item on the menu only offers a few programs, and LO isn't
> > one of 'em.
> >
> > BTW, this is for the MATE desktop, though pretty much the same question
> > applies to XFCE or Gnome.
>
> Don't know anything about MATE. And you've not said anything about "how" you are opening the file.
>
> However, in GNOME 3 and using Nautilus to open the file...all you need to do is right click on the file, choose Properties and then make the selection in the "Open with" tab and make it the default.

HUH! it's so obvious! nevertheless, I'd have thought that would change the
property for only that one file. but it seems to do what I wanted.

thanks!

Fred