-   -   Skype 4 i Fedora 17 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/703739-skype-4-i-fedora-17-a.html)

Jan Litwiński 09-14-2012 08:43 AM

Skype 4 i Fedora 17

J have laptop Lenovo G550 with Intel Celeron 1.8.GHz processor, 2 MB RAM
and Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family)
HD Audio Controller (rev 03).
I waned t to use Fedora but Skype completely freezes my desktop (it was
KDE), helped only use power off button.
I think problem is related with pulseaudio.
In openSUSE 12.1 everything is ok, but in openSUSE 12.2 is the same
problem.
Has anybody have the same problem?

greetings

--
Jan Litwiński
http://netsjanek.blogspot.com/

Christopher Svanefalk 09-15-2012 06:08 AM

Skype 4 i Fedora 17

J have laptop Lenovo G550 with Intel Celeron 1.8.GHz processor, 2 MB RAM

and Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family)

HD Audio Controller (rev 03).

I waned t to use Fedora but Skype completely freezes my desktop (it was

KDE), helped only use power off button.

I think problem is related with pulseaudio.

In openSUSE 12.1 everything is ok, but in openSUSE 12.2 is the same

problem.

Has anybody have the same problem?

greetings

--

Jan Litwiński

http://netsjanek.blogspot.com/

Linux is like a wigwam no gates

no windows but apache inside

Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Fedora?*
--
Best,
Christopher Svanefalk

Christopher Svanefalk 09-15-2012 06:34 AM

Skype 4 i Fedora 17

J have laptop Lenovo G550 with Intel Celeron 1.8.GHz processor, 2 MB RAM

and Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family)

HD Audio Controller (rev 03).

I waned t to use Fedora but Skype completely freezes my desktop (it was

KDE), helped only use power off button.

I think problem is related with pulseaudio.

In openSUSE 12.1 everything is ok, but in openSUSE 12.2 is the same

problem.

Has anybody have the same problem?

greetings

--

Jan Litwiński

http://netsjanek.blogspot.com/

Linux is like a wigwam no gates

no windows but apache inside

Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Fedora?*
I should have read your specs more carefully before responding, apologies for that. There are some hacks needed to get Skype running under 64-bit, but this is obviously not your problem.

Have you tried starting Skype from the terminal? It should give you some indicators to why it is failing. Apart from that, you can also examine the logs (although someone else more*knowledgeable* would have to tell you exactly which ones).

*--
Best,
Christopher Svanefalk

--
Best,
Christopher Svanefalk

Ed Greshko 09-15-2012 06:46 AM

Skype 4 i Fedora 17

On 09/15/2012 02:34 PM, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
> I should have read your specs more carefully before responding, apologies for that. There are some hacks needed to get Skype running under 64-bit, but this is obviously not your problem.
>
> Have you tried starting Skype from the terminal? It should give you some indicators to why it is failing. Apart from that, you can also examine the logs (although someone else more knowledgeable would have to tell you exactly which ones).

[egreshko@meimei ~]$ rpm -q skype
skype-4.0.0.8-fc16.i586

[egreshko@meimei ~]$ uname -r
3.5.3-1.fc17.x86_64

No problems, no hacks....

Heinz Diehl 09-15-2012 07:30 AM

Skype 4 i Fedora 17

On 15.09.2012, Ed Greshko wrote:

> [egreshko@meimei ~]$ rpm -q skype
> skype-4.0.0.8-fc16.i586
>
> [egreshko@meimei ~]$ uname -r
> 3.5.3-1.fc17.x86_64
>
> No problems, no hacks....

I have the just the same on my business machine, and I've never
managed to get a "good" UDP-connection on both sides. Even without any
firewalling and packet-filtering. I have no problems with ekiga,
though.

Christopher Svanefalk 09-15-2012 12:09 PM

Skype 4 i Fedora 17

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:

On 09/15/2012 02:34 PM, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:

> I should have read your specs more carefully before responding, apologies for that. There are some hacks needed to get Skype running under 64-bit, but this is obviously not your problem.

> Have you tried starting Skype from the terminal? It should give you some indicators to why it is failing. Apart from that, you can also examine the logs (although someone else more knowledgeable *would have to tell you exactly which ones).

[egreshko@meimei ~]$ rpm -q skype

skype-4.0.0.8-fc16.i586

[egreshko@meimei ~]$ uname -r

3.5.3-1.fc17.x86_64

No problems, no hacks....

Heh, I am still stuck in the days when there was only a 32-bit version (and beta at that)...need to do some catching up it seems, thanks for the headsup.

*

Best,
Christopher Svanefalk

Ed Greshko 09-15-2012 12:39 PM

Skype 4 i Fedora 17

On 09/15/2012 08:09 PM, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com <mailto:Ed.Greshko@greshko.com>> wrote:
>
> On 09/15/2012 02:34 PM, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
> > I should have read your specs more carefully before responding, apologies for that. There are some hacks needed to get Skype running under 64-bit, but this is obviously not your problem.
> >
> > Have you tried starting Skype from the terminal? It should give you some indicators to why it is failing. Apart from that, you can also examine the logs (although someone else more knowledgeable would have to tell you exactly which ones).
>
> [egreshko@meimei ~]$ rpm -q skype
> skype-4.0.0.8-fc16.i586
>
> [egreshko@meimei ~]$ uname -r
> 3.5.3-1.fc17.x86_64
>
> No problems, no hacks....
>

> Heh, I am still stuck in the days when there was only a 32-bit version (and beta at that)...need to do some catching up it seems, thanks for the headsup.

Please note that skype is a 32-bit application....

[egreshko@meimei system]$ file /usr/bin/skype
/usr/bin/skype: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, BuildID[sha1]=0x1a3a82f020f7a59612a2362d2bf89f51071a92ad, stripped

Christopher Svanefalk 09-15-2012 09:17 PM

Skype 4 i Fedora 17

On 09/15/2012 08:09 PM, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com <mailto:Ed.Greshko@greshko.com>> wrote:

> * * On 09/15/2012 02:34 PM, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:

> * * > I should have read your specs more carefully before responding, apologies for that. There are some hacks needed to get Skype running under 64-bit, but this is obviously not your problem.

> * * >

> * * > Have you tried starting Skype from the terminal? It should give you some indicators to why it is failing. Apart from that, you can also examine the logs (although someone else more knowledgeable *would have to tell you exactly which ones).

> * * [egreshko@meimei ~]$ rpm -q skype

> * * skype-4.0.0.8-fc16.i586

> * * [egreshko@meimei ~]$ uname -r

> * * 3.5.3-1.fc17.x86_64

> * * No problems, no hacks....

> Heh, I am still stuck in the days when there was only a 32-bit version (and beta at that)...need to do some catching up it seems, thanks for the headsup.

Please note that skype is a 32-bit application....

[egreshko@meimei system]$ file /usr/bin/skype

/usr/bin/skype: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, BuildID[sha1]=0x1a3a82f020f7a59612a2362d2bf89f51071a92ad, stripped

My attention span is at an all time low today it seems, so I will stop posting. All the best.*
*

Best,
Christopher Svanefalk