Old 09-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Fedora User

Default Why did they f*ck with GIMP?

On Fri, 2012-09-14 at 14:27 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> because there's been a LOT of whining from many people about the multi-
> window interface. Allegedly it alienates Photoshop users, preventing
> them from being willing to learn to use Gimp (and Linux, et al.)
>
> Not sure I buy it, but that's the reasoning as I understand it.

Well that's not my kvetch. GIMP has always had a wonderful multi-window
interface and I have been using it since - probably - pre-Fedora. Over
the last few releases they have markedly changed the interface and
methodology without any improvement. The tool-box window has now been
shrunk and no longer displays all of the information that it used to. I
have yet to figure out how to do things that I used to do - easily - for
years. I also don't like the fact that it now defaults to xcf. Perhaps
someone else can explain this change better than I can. In simple terms,
if I open a jpg, edit and then do a ctl-s, it no longer brings up the
jpg dialog. The text dialog is completely different and almost
impossible because the new pop-up obscures the text area. The fill tool
no longer fills an area of a photo properly (it fills contiguous
shapes). You can no longer type a wrapped line of text and have it
centered. I could go on . . .

Old 09-14-2012, 11:55 PM
Roger

There seems to be a lot of hatred here (even in this thread) for the
multi-window interface. But I, for one, wish that *more* applications
implemented it.

It is seriously the only way to go when you have multiple monitors and
edit a lot of images simultaneously. (Try to imagine stretching a
single-window interface across three screens. Ick.)

I, from early RedHat days thru all versions of Fedora and Ububnu, love
the multi window interface. A few apps had it but over time have gone to
one interface where the work area is so small one has to be proficient
at panning. I wish more apps stayed with the multi window method.
I can work on the "full" image without the screen being apportioned to
menu and configuration systems that are, after all, only tools used one
at a time.
It's of little importance where they are as long as they are not in my
image/work space.

Blender 3d had multi windows and was great. Now it has an interface
where 30% of the usable space is menus and selections for no good reason
other than to appeal to users who may, but probably won't migrate from
proprietary systems.

I heartily agree that it's the way to go when one has multiple monitors.
I hope that Gimp does not go the same path as those apps.
Roger

Old 09-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Lailah

El vie, 14-09-2012 a las 11:32 -0700, Alan Evans escribió:

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 11:27 AM, fred smith wrote:
> because there's been a LOT of whining from many people about the multi-
> window interface. Allegedly it alienates Photoshop users, preventing
> them from being willing to learn to use Gimp (and Linux, et al.)

There seems to be a lot of hatred here (even in this thread) for the
multi-window interface. But I, for one, wish that *more* applications
implemented it.

It is seriously the only way to go when you have multiple monitors and
edit a lot of images simultaneously. (Try to imagine stretching a
single-window interface across three screens. Ick.)

-Alan

Agree.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Lailah

El vie, 14-09-2012 a las 17:49 -0400, Fedora User escribió:

On Fri, 2012-09-14 at 14:27 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> because there's been a LOT of whining from many people about the multi-
> window interface. Allegedly it alienates Photoshop users, preventing
> them from being willing to learn to use Gimp (and Linux, et al.)
>
> Not sure I buy it, but that's the reasoning as I understand it.

Well that's not my kvetch. GIMP has always had a wonderful multi-window
interface and I have been using it since - probably - pre-Fedora. Over
the last few releases they have markedly changed the interface and
methodology without any improvement. The tool-box window has now been
shrunk and no longer displays all of the information that it used to. I
have yet to figure out how to do things that I used to do - easily - for
years. I also don't like the fact that it now defaults to xcf. Perhaps
someone else can explain this change better than I can. In simple terms,
if I open a jpg, edit and then do a ctl-s, it no longer brings up the
jpg dialog. The text dialog is completely different and almost
impossible because the new pop-up obscures the text area. The fill tool
no longer fills an area of a photo properly (it fills contiguous
shapes). You can no longer type a wrapped line of text and have it
centered. I could go on . . .

Oh!* I agree with the format stuff.* Why they don't let me choose what format by default I want?* Why, if I edit a jpg, I have to save it as a xcf?

Is very annoying.

But I don't call it* "fsck with Gimp".* I call it a bug.

If I knew how to ask for an enhancement for Gimp, I'll happily do it.

Regards,

Lailah

Old 09-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Old 09-16-2012, 05:19 PM
"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr."

On 09/14/2012 02:27 PM, fred smith wrote:

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 07:58:07PM -0300, Lailah wrote:

El jue, 13-09-2012 a las 15:41 -0400, Fedora User escribió:

People must have too much time on their hands. Add some features; maybe
clean up some code. But why on earth make major UI changes to a program
that consistently did exactly what it was supposed to do exactly as it
was supposed to do it - - - and now doesn't. Ugh!

Could you be more specific, please? I don't find anything strange on Gimp
but the lack of FX-Foundry plugins pack.
Thanks!
Lailah

because there's been a LOT of whining from many people about the multi-
window interface. Allegedly it alienates Photoshop users, preventing
them from being willing to learn to use Gimp (and Linux, et al.)

Not sure I buy it, but that's the reasoning as I understand it.

I'd have to agree with the reasoning for this, up until today I avoided
GIMP vigorously because I didn't know there was a way to have one
window!....now that I know...(I've already changed it!) I'll be delving
into its inner workings on a deeper level!

EGO II

Old 09-16-2012, 05:20 PM
"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr."

On 09/14/2012 02:32 PM, Alan Evans wrote:

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 11:27 AM, fred smith wrote:

because there's been a LOT of whining from many people about the multi-
window interface. Allegedly it alienates Photoshop users, preventing
them from being willing to learn to use Gimp (and Linux, et al.)

There seems to be a lot of hatred here (even in this thread) for the
multi-window interface. But I, for one, wish that *more* applications
implemented it.

It is seriously the only way to go when you have multiple monitors and
edit a lot of images simultaneously. (Try to imagine stretching a
single-window interface across three screens. Ick.)

-Alan
The flipside to this would be only having a small laptop screen to work
with and not wanting to switch to various windows constantly in order to
get something done in GIMP.

EGO II

Old 09-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Lailah

El dom, 16-09-2012 a las 01:44 +0530, Rahul Sundaram escribió:

On 09/15/2012 10:50 PM, Lailah wrote:

> Oh! I agree with the format stuff. Why they don't let me choose what
> format by default I want? Why, if I edit a jpg, I have to save it as a
> xcf?
> Is very annoying.
> But I don't call it "fsck with Gimp". I call it a bug.
> If I knew how to ask for an enhancement for Gimp, I'll happily do it.

It saves in the default format because it is the only format that can
save all the extra metadata (where undo etc is possible). You can
export it and save in whatever format you want. Control + E instead of
Control + S.

Alternatively, use

http://shallowsky.com/blog/gimp/gimp-save-export-clean.html

Rahul

Ok. I can understand this.* But what I dislike is that the app is deciding for me.* There's no way in the configuration to set the default format.

That's my point.

Regards,

Lailah

Old 09-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Roger

On 09/17/2012 03:20 AM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:

[...]

Not so at all, There is no hatred, just discussion of merit one way or
another.

Both my daughters use multi window Gimp, as is, on 3 or 4 laptops, they
also do not see any reason to change to a one size fits all prospect.
I use Gimp on a multi monitor desktop and on an old Dell 1520 laptop and
have no problem with multi screen.

An analogy would be that on my work bench in my shed, a real life
situation, I could not work if the periphery was taken up by all of my
tools of which I use one at a time, no! they get put back on hooks, on
racks, in drawers. This is Gimp, putting the tools away until needed
once again.

Gimp multi window is for me, like my hard copy work bench. A delight to use.

Alienating Photoshop users is an entirely different subject, not related
to Gimp single or multi screen use. It really should not be part of this
discussion. It implies that they have a mental block prevention from
learning new ways. I do not believe that to be the case.
Photoshop users will not and have no reason to change. They are happy
with their expensive image manipulation software.
There are millions of new users out there who do not want photoshop and
it is those who need to be told about Gimp. They will learn multi window
quickly.

One of my daughters, mentioned above, is a secondary teacher at a
private college. She used photoshop for a few days because her students did.
Removed it and went to Gimp, as did all of her students who no longer
complain loud and long about having to use such a crap application that
broke continuously.

There are reasons for and against every GUI, but from my experience, no
one I know wants to revert to photoshop because it is too difficult to
use when compared to Gimp with it's multi screen.

Roger

Roger

Old 09-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2012-09-17 at 09:21 +1000, Roger wrote:
> Alienating Photoshop users is an entirely different subject, not
> related to Gimp single or multi screen use. It really should not be
> part of this discussion. It implies that they have a mental block
> prevention from learning new ways. I do not believe that to be the
> case. Photoshop users will not and have no reason to change. They are
> happy with their expensive image manipulation software.
> There are millions of new users out there who do not want photoshop
> and it is those who need to be told about Gimp. They will learn multi
> window quickly.

Tallies with my feelings... I've tried Photoshop, and absolutely hated
the way it worked. When it comes to software, I want an alternative,
not a clone. Generally speaking, I chose alternatives because I want
something that works differently, cost isn't the main concern, except
for ridiculously expensive software.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686