Old 09-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Marc Wäckerlin

Default Fedora 17 in a CHROOT on Ubuntu - and the wrong dependency on rpmlib(X-CheckUnifiedSystemdir)

Hi

I am working in Ubuntu and compiling RPMs for Fedora. That's why I install Fedora in
a **chroot** environment. That works fine with Fedora 16, but fails with Fedora 17 due
to the wrong "rpmlib(X-CheckUnifiedSystemdir)" dependency.

I Do not upgrade and I cannot use dracut, because Fedora 17 is in a chroot and cannot
boot. So the instructions at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum
do **not** help.

How to solve the problem? What does dracut do, why(*) does rpm fail, where does this
dependency come from? How can I either fake this dependency or prevent RPM from requiring
it? I need a deep inside knowledge on what's going on, what dracut does and what rpm does.
What have the fedora-guys patched to get thie wrong dependency, and how can I undo it?

----
(*) I mean technically *why*, not user-view answers like "to prevent upgrades without
fs-migration", this kind of answer does not help, but technical answers like "dracut
creates content X in file Y, then the dependency is ignored in rpm"

----------

Background information:

I use the chroots on an Ubuntu server running a Jenkins build server to build packages
for all available Debian, Ubuntu, openSUSE and - as soon as possible - Fedora
distributions.

I setup a chroot the following way:

1. download all basic RPM files
2. unpack the RPM file into a chroot dir using rpm2cpio to get the basig filesystem
3. within the chroot, call rpm for all packages to run installation scripts an update
rpm database

In the attachment you find my setup chroot script "susebootstrap.sh". It is originally
build for openSUSE, but also works for Fedora with correct parameters; i.e.

Install Fedora 16 i686 in a chroot:

URL=http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/fedora/linux/releases/16/Fedora/i386/os
HW="i686 noarch" OS=fedora VERSION=16 PKGS="bash rpm yum fedora-release"
susebootstrap.sh

Install Fedora 17 i686 in a chroot:

URL=http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/fedora/linux/releases/17/Fedora/i386/os
HW="i686 noarch" OS=fedora VERSION=17 PKGS="bash rpm yum fedora-release"
susebootstrap.sh

Installing Fedora 16 works, installing Fedora 17 fails due to the
"rpmlib(X-CheckUnifiedSystemdir)" dependency.

The very last step fails, after echo of "... install more basic packages" the
command "${CHROOT} -r -- yum -y -q groupupdate Base" fails with:

... install more basic packages
ERROR You need to update rpm to handle:
rpmlib(X-CheckUnifiedSystemdir) is needed by filesystem-3-2.fc17.i686
RPM needs to be updated
You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
Your transaction was saved, rerun it with:
yum load-transaction /tmp/yum_save_tx.2012-09-13.08-29.pr4OBd.yumtx
**** ERROR aborted. Status of last operation: 1

Old 09-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Bill Davidsen

Marc Wäckerlin wrote:

[...]

Marc, I have to ask why you are doing that as opposed to just creating a VM and
running Fedora in that. It just seems so much easier. And I have friends running
fc17 in VM on both Mac and Windows7, so it's pretty sure Ubuntu would do so as well.

Just curious why you took that approach.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 09-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Suvayu Ali

Hi Bill,

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 10:31:20AM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Marc Wäckerlin wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >I am working in Ubuntu and compiling RPMs for Fedora. That's why I install Fedora in
> >a **chroot** environment. That works fine with Fedora 16, but fails with Fedora 17 due
> >to the wrong "rpmlib(X-CheckUnifiedSystemdir)" dependency.
> >
> >I Do not upgrade and I cannot use dracut, because Fedora 17 is in a chroot and cannot
> >boot. So the instructions at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum
> >do **not** help.
> >
> >How to solve the problem? What does dracut do, why(*) does rpm fail, where does this
> >dependency come from? How can I either fake this dependency or prevent RPM from requiring
> >it? I need a deep inside knowledge on what's going on, what dracut does and what rpm does.
> >What have the fedora-guys patched to get thie wrong dependency, and how can I undo it?
> >
> >----
> >(*) I mean technically *why*, not user-view answers like "to prevent upgrades without
> >fs-migration", this kind of answer does not help, but technical answers like "dracut
> >creates content X in file Y, then the dependency is ignored in rpm"
> >
> Marc, I have to ask why you are doing that as opposed to just creating a VM
> and running Fedora in that. It just seems so much easier. And I have friends
> running fc17 in VM on both Mac and Windows7, so it's pretty sure Ubuntu
> would do so as well.
>
> Just curious why you took that approach.

I have a similar build system for SLC 5.7. Our software can also be
deployed in a VM; I have tried that but found the overhead of using a VM
(build times, test job run times and the fact that you have to have a
working virtualisation setup) rather large. Instead now I (and many of
my colleagues) use a few scripts to maintain the chroot system for our
software. This also seems easier to implement across multiple linux
distros without much fiddling (it's after all a few scripts that uses
chroot to setup the environment). To give you an idea about the "easy
on various" distros bit, we have tried this on Arch, Ubuntu, Fedora and
Debian. Getting it to work on Fedora required some extra effort to get
the SELinux labels for the chroot'ed directory hierarchy correct.

Hope that answers your question.

--
Suvayu

Old 09-17-2012, 12:20 AM
Bill Davidsen

Suvayu Ali wrote:

Hi Bill,

[...]

Your last sentence sums up some of the issues I hit with chroot, but I'm glad it
works well enough for your needs. I don't like to worry about the build options
of the kernel I run vs. the environment of another distribution, so I went the
VM route using a raw disk image. It runs on either of my home hosting machines,
or my laptop in a pinch, and at least the MINT VM I built for testing reportedly
runs under Mac VM, whatever comes with Windows7, and VMware (I think on VISTA).

Whatever works for you, either way will work, but I don't want to ever find out
that an update to SElinux changed behavior, or glibc was patched to a "more
correct" but non-working state. The right solution is the one which uses the
least of your time in this case.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Suvayu Ali

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 08:20:13PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Suvayu Ali wrote:
> >
> >I have a similar build system for SLC 5.7. Our software can also be
> >deployed in a VM; I have tried that but found the overhead of using a VM
> >(build times, test job run times and the fact that you have to have a
> >working virtualisation setup) rather large. Instead now I (and many of
> >my colleagues) use a few scripts to maintain the chroot system for our
> >software. This also seems easier to implement across multiple linux
> >distros without much fiddling (it's after all a few scripts that uses
> >chroot to setup the environment). To give you an idea about the "easy
> >on various" distros bit, we have tried this on Arch, Ubuntu, Fedora and
> >Debian. Getting it to work on Fedora required some extra effort to get
> >the SELinux labels for the chroot'ed directory hierarchy correct.
> >
> Your last sentence sums up some of the issues I hit with chroot, but I'm
> glad it works well enough for your needs.

Well the "extra effort" was because I was not familiar with SELinux and
had to figure out how it works and how I can customise. My solution in
the end was a rather simplistic "copy to contexts to the relative chroot
path". A sequence of commands like these did the trick:

# fcontext --add --equal /bin "${CHROOTDIR}/bin}"

> Whatever works for you, either way will work, but I don't want to ever find
> out that an update to SElinux changed behavior, or glibc was patched to a
> "more correct" but non-working state. The right solution is the one which
> uses the least of your time in this case.

Well I hope SELinux does not fiddle with custom settings, no application
should and I don't think SELinux does either. From what I understood
during my investigations, SELinux makes it very clear as to what is from
Fedora and what is user set and leaves the user set contexts alone.

I agree with you, "what ever works best for you" is the best way to go
when comes to any software.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

Old 09-18-2012, 01:54 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 5:32 AM, Marc Wäckerlin
<marc.waeckerlin@tech.swisssign.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am working in Ubuntu and compiling RPMs for Fedora. That's why I install Fedora in
> a **chroot** environment. That works fine with Fedora 16, but fails with Fedora 17 due
> to the wrong "rpmlib(X-CheckUnifiedSystemdir)" dependency.

The Fedora buildsystem uses a utility called mock to build RPMs for
Fedora and RHEL. mock creates chroots and installs build dependencies
automatically--just feed it an SRPM and it takes care of the rest.
It's available in the Ubuntu "universe" repository in the "mock"
package. I think you'll find it much easier than maintaining your own
chroots. ;-)

> I Do not upgrade and I cannot use dracut, because Fedora 17 is in a chroot and cannot
> boot. So the instructions at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum
> do **not** help.
>
> How to solve the problem? What does dracut do, why(*) does rpm fail, where does this
> dependency come from? How can I either fake this dependency or prevent RPM from requiring
> it? I need a deep inside knowledge on what's going on, what dracut does and what rpm does.
> What have the fedora-guys patched to get thie wrong dependency, and how can I undo it?

I believe you'll need to run the convertfs procedure dracut would
ordinarily run manually. To do so, obtain the script at
https://raw.github.com/haraldh/dracut/master/modules.d/30convertfs/convertfs.sh
then run it with the path to your chroot as the first argument (e.g.
`convertfs.sh /home/jenkins/fedora`).