Old 09-13-2012, 02:29 AM
"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr."

Default Corrupted Repo?.....

Hello all, I have been having a problem recently with getting any
kind of package or application using yum here's what I get whenever
I try to "get" something from the internet using yum:

orion@ORION-2015 ~$ sudo yum list all

[sudo] password for orion:

Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit,
tidy-cache

http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
[Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 - Not Found :
http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/i386/repodata/repomd.xml

Trying other mirror.

Error: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from Google: [Errno 256]
No more mirrors to try.

orion@ORION-2015 ~$ sudo spt-get repo

[sudo] password for orion:

sudo: spt-get: command not found

orion@ORION-2015 ~$ yum update

Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit,
tidy-cache

You need to be root to perform this command.

orion@ORION-2015 ~$ su

Password:

root@ORION-2015 orion# yum install update

root@ORION-2015 orion# yum getupdate2-123

Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit,
tidy-cache

No such command: getupdate. Please use /usr/bin/yum --help

root@ORION-2015 orion# yum update allevery

Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit,
tidy-cache

http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
[Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 - Not Found :
http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/i386/repodata/repomd.xml

Trying other mirror.

Error: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from Google: [Errno 256]
No more mirrors to try.

root@ORION-2015 orion#

Is there a way to change where my yum "looks" for its software
needs? And mind you I know some of the commands in the above example
don't exist or are just garbage, but this is what I see even when I
type in "valid" commands.....can anyone help?

Thanks!

EGO II

Old 09-13-2012, 02:50 AM
Ed Greshko

On 09/13/2012 10:29 AM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
> Hello all, I have been having a problem recently with getting any kind of package or application using yum here's what I get whenever I try to "get" something from the internet using yum:
> /
> //orion@ORION-2015 ~$ sudo yum list all//
> //[sudo] password for orion: //
> //Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit, tidy-cache//
> //http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 - Not Found : http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/i386/repodata/repomd.xml//
> //Trying other mirror.//
> //Error: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from Google: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.//
> //orion@ORION-2015 ~$ sudo spt-get repo//
> //[sudo] password for orion: //
> //sudo: spt-get: command not found//
> //orion@ORION-2015 ~$ yum update//
> //Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit, tidy-cache//
> //You need to be root to perform this command.//
> //orion@ORION-2015 ~$ su//
> //Password: //
> //root@ORION-2015 orion# yum install update//
> //Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit, tidy-cache//
> //http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 - Not Found : http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/i386/repodata/repomd.xml//
> //Trying other mirror.//
> //Error: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from Google: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.//
> //root@ORION-2015 orion# yum getupdate2-123//
> //Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit, tidy-cache//
> //No such command: getupdate. Please use /usr/bin/yum --help//
> //root@ORION-2015 orion# yum update allevery//
> //Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit, tidy-cache//
> //http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 - Not Found : http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/i386/repodata/repomd.xml//
> //Trying other mirror.//
> //Error: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from Google: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.//
> //root@ORION-2015 orion# /
>
> Is there a way to change where my yum "looks" for its software needs? And mind you I know some of the commands in the above example don't exist or are just garbage, but this is what I see even when I type in "valid" commands.....can anyone help?

That URL for a google repository doesn't look right.... Where did you get it?

The ones I have for Chrome and Google-Earth are....

http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml
and
http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/rpm/stable/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml

Old 09-13-2012, 03:01 AM
Ed Greshko

On 09/13/2012 10:50 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> That URL for a google repository doesn't look right.... Where did you get it?
>
> The ones I have for Chrome and Google-Earth are....
>
> http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml
> and
> http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/rpm/stable/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml

More importantly.... In the .repo files .....

baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64
baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/rpm/stable/x86_64

Old 09-13-2012, 05:06 AM
"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr."

That URL for a google repository doesn't look right.... Where did you get it?

The ones I have for Chrome and Google-Earth are....

http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml
and
http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/rpm/stable/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml

More importantly.... In the .repo files .....

baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64
baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/rpm/stable/x86_64

Thats just it...I DON'T know where they came from....I've just been
doing my updates regularly....haven't touched anything that might alter
that.....could this be a bad thing?....like intrusion?....(I know I
sound like a Windows user!....)

EGO II

Old 09-13-2012, 05:07 AM
Ed Greshko

On 09/13/2012 01:06 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
> On 09/12/2012 11:01 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 09/13/2012 10:50 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> That URL for a google repository doesn't look right.... Where did you get it?
>>>
>>> The ones I have for Chrome and Google-Earth are....
>>>
>>> http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml
>>> and
>>> http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/rpm/stable/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml
>> More importantly.... In the .repo files .....
>>
>> baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64
>> baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/rpm/stable/x86_64
>>

> Thats just it...I DON'T know where they came from....I've just been doing my updates regularly....haven't touched anything that might alter that.....could this be a bad thing?....like intrusion?....(I know I sound like a Windows user!....)

The repo files should all be in /etc/yum.repos.d/.

Find the one that has dl.google.com in it and post it here.....

Old 09-13-2012, 05:17 AM
"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr."

That URL for a google repository doesn't look right.... Where did you get it?

The ones I have for Chrome and Google-Earth are....

http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml
and
http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/rpm/stable/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml

More importantly.... In the .repo files .....

baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64
baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/rpm/stable/x86_64

Thats just it...I DON'T know where they came from....I've just been doing my updates regularly....haven't touched anything that might alter that.....could this be a bad thing?....like intrusion?....(I know I sound like a Windows user!....)

The repo files should all be in /etc/yum.repos.d/.

Find the one that has dl.google.com in it and post it here.....

Thanks for the quick responses guys! Here's what I got going to:

[Google]
name=Google - i386
baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/i386
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub

I don't know how this stuff got here or how it got placed as the "main"
repo...

EGO II

Old 09-13-2012, 05:32 AM
Ed Greshko

On 09/13/2012 01:17 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
> Thanks for the quick responses guys! Here's what I got going to:
>
> [Google]
> name=Google - i386
> baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/i386
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub
>
> I don't know how this stuff got here or how it got placed as the "main" repo...

I would just delete it then.....

Old 09-13-2012, 07:00 AM
Tony Molloy

On Thursday 13 September 2012 06:17:07 Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
> On 09/13/2012 01:07 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:

> >> Thats just it...I DON'T know where they came from....I've just
> >> been doing my updates regularly....haven't touched anything that
> >> might alter that.....could this be a bad thing?....like
> >> intrusion?....(I know I sound like a Windows user!....)
> >
> > The repo files should all be in /etc/yum.repos.d/.
> >
> > Find the one that has dl.google.com in it and post it here.....
>
> Thanks for the quick responses guys! Here's what I got going to:
>
> [Google]
> name=Google - i386
> baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/i386
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub
>
> I don't know how this stuff got here or how it got placed as the
> "main" repo...
>

> EGO II

You probably installed google-chrome or google-earth at some time. The
installation process installs those repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d and
sets them to enabled by default.

Heres a working google.repo file

google.repo

[google]
name=Google - $basearch
baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/$basearch
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub
priority=50

[google-chrome]
name=google-chrome
baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/$basearch
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub
priority=50

[google-earth]
name=google-earth
baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/rpm/stable/$basearch
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub
priority=50

It works for both i686 and x86_64 systems. It has the repos disabled
by default and uses the priority yum plugin.
Install it as /etc/yum.repos.d/google.repo.

Also the google repos were down for a period recently.

Tony
N�z�w���^���an��q�&��

Old 09-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Ed Greshko

On 09/13/2012 03:00 PM, Tony Molloy wrote:
> [google]
> name=Google - $basearch
> baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/$basearch
> enabled=0
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub
> priority=50

You will notice

enabled=0

Old 09-13-2012, 07:12 AM
Ed Greshko

On 09/13/2012 03:11 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 09/13/2012 03:00 PM, Tony Molloy wrote:
>> [google]
>> name=Google - $basearch
>> baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/$basearch
>> enabled=0