Old 09-12-2012, 01:31 PM
"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA"

Default Owner nobody -

My NFS server shows:

[bobg@box7 SRVR1]$ ll

drwxr-xr-x. 2 nobody nobody 4096 Sep 12 09:16 VideoClips

What does "nobody" mean? I assume if no one owns it it is available
to all?

My immediate problem is that my daughter can't access files with her
Apple Mac desktop box. Trying to find out why.

Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box7

Old 09-12-2012, 01:52 PM
"Pittigher, Raymond - ES"

Are you mounting it as NFSv4? Try using V3.

drwxr-xr-x. 2 nobody nobody 4096 Sep 12 09:16 VideoClips

What does "nobody" mean? I assume if no one owns it it is available
to all?

My immediate problem is that my daughter can't access files with her
Apple Mac desktop box. Trying to find out why.

Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box7

Email addresses of ITT Exelis employees have changed from itt.com to exelisinc.com. Please update your favorites and contact information to reflect these changes.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Exelis Inc. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Exelis Inc. accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:09 PM
"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA"

On 12/09/12 09:52, Pittigher, Raymond - ES types:

Are you mounting it as NFSv4? Try using V3.

Are you saying that the Mac has a problem with NFS4?

I'm really not sure how the Mac mounts it. It's just a few menu
selections, not very informative.

Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box7

Old 09-12-2012, 02:20 PM
"Pittigher, Raymond - ES"

I have to assume that the Linux version is something newer that defaults to version 4. Without the idmapd setup properly it will show as nobody on ver 4.

try the mount command with something like

mount -t nfs -o vers=3

Old 09-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Ed Greshko

On 09/12/2012 09:31 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
> My NFS server shows:
>
> [bobg@box7 SRVR1]$ ll

> drwxr-xr-x. 2 nobody nobody 4096 Sep 12 09:16 VideoClips

That is what you see on you *server*?

Old 09-12-2012, 02:49 PM
"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA"

On 12/09/12 10:30, Ed Greshko types:

drwxr-xr-x. 2 nobody nobody 4096 Sep 12 09:16 VideoClips

That is what you see on you *server*?

What does "nobody" mean? I assume if no one owns it it is available
to all?

My immediate problem is that my daughter can't access files with her
Apple Mac desktop box. Trying to find out why.

Yes, that is what I see on box8 [nfs server] from box9 [F-17/64] at
/mnt/SRVR1.

I can access the files from box9 but she can not from her Mac on our
LAN.

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box7

Old 09-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Marvin Kosmal

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
<bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> wrote:
> On 12/09/12 10:30, Ed Greshko types:
>
>> On 09/12/2012 09:31 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
>>>
>>> My NFS server shows:
>>>
>>> [bobg@box7 SRVR1]$ ll

>>> drwxr-xr-x. 2 nobody nobody 4096 Sep 12 09:16 VideoClips
>>
>> That is what you see on you *server*?
>>
>>> What does "nobody" mean? I assume if no one owns it it is available
>>> to all?
>>>
>>> My immediate problem is that my daughter can't access files with her
>>> Apple Mac desktop box. Trying to find out why.
>>

> Yes, that is what I see on box8 [nfs server] from box9 [F-17/64] at
> /mnt/SRVR1.
>
> I can access the files from box9 but she can not from her Mac on our
> LAN.

HI

Are you a member of the nobody group?

Marvin

Old 09-12-2012, 03:25 PM
"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA"

On 12/09/12 11:20, Marvin Kosmal types:

I can access the files from box9 but she can not from her Mac on our
> LAN.

HI

Are you a member of the nobody group?

Marvin

I suspect that that is the problem but I don't know how to deal with
groups on the Mac. I assume I have to do that on the Mac or is it on
the server which is Scientific Linux 6?

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box7

Old 09-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Rick Stevens

On 09/12/2012 08:20 AM, Marvin Kosmal uttered this comment:

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
drwxr-xr-x. 2 nobody nobody 4096 Sep 12 09:16 VideoClips

That is what you see on you *server*?

What does "nobody" mean? I assume if no one owns it it is available
to all?

My immediate problem is that my daughter can't access files with her
Apple Mac desktop box. Trying to find out why.

Yes, that is what I see on box8 [nfs server] from box9 [F-17/64] at
/mnt/SRVR1.

I'm confused. The prompt at the "ll" command shows "box7" but you're
saying the output is from box8 and you can see the files on box9. You
need to clarify your network.

Which machine is the actual NFS server? What is it actually exporting
(output of "showmount -e")?

Which machines are NFS clients and how is the export mounted (output of
the "mount" command that shows the NFS mount).

I can access the files from box9 but she can not from her Mac on our
LAN.

HI

Are you a member of the nobody group?

That shouldn't be an issue as the owner and group are nobody but the
directory is "other: read execute". We don't have any information on
the files IN the directory.

We have noted that there is an issue with some later MacOS versions
(can't recall if it's SnowLeopard or what) that will have issues if the
export from the NFS server uses wildcards in the export. Seems to work
if one uses a CIDR network instead of wildcarded host names.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:55 PM
"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA"

On 12/09/12 12:36, Rick Stevens types:

On 09/12/2012 08:20 AM, Marvin Kosmal uttered this comment:

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
drwxr-xr-x. 2 nobody nobody 4096 Sep 12 09:16 VideoClips

That is what you see on you *server*?

What does "nobody" mean? I assume if no one owns it it is available
to all?

My immediate problem is that my daughter can't access files with her
Apple Mac desktop box. Trying to find out why.

Yes, that is what I see on box8 [nfs server] from box9 [F-17/64] at
/mnt/SRVR1.

I'm confused. The prompt at the "ll" command shows "box7" but you're
saying the output is from box8 and you can see the files on box9. You
need to clarify your network.

Yeah, I was confused too, box9 is not in use today this is box7, I
forgot where I was.

Which machine is the actual NFS server? What is it actually exporting
(output of "showmount -e")?

Box8 is the nfs server, it's SL-6/64 bit and NS4.

And I'm not sure what this means:

[root@box7 SRVR1]# showmount -e
clnt_create: RPC: Program not registered

Which machines are NFS clients and how is the export mounted (output of
the "mount" command that shows the NFS mount).

The clients we are 7, 9 not running, and 44 [192.168.1.44 MacPro 31
desktop computer. There are others, all Apple stuff.

I can access the files from box9 but she can not from her Mac on our
LAN.

HI

Are you a member of the nobody group?

That shouldn't be an issue as the owner and group are nobody but the
directory is "other: read execute". We don't have any information on
the files IN the directory.

We have noted that there is an issue with some later MacOS versions
(can't recall if it's SnowLeopard or what) that will have issues if the
export from the NFS server uses wildcards in the export. Seems to work
if one uses a CIDR network instead of wildcarded host names.

She has the latest version of OSX, whatever that's called, but there
are no wild cards used that I am aware of.

However after she left I got to the Mac computer and found that
connecting to the server as she was doing produces an error message
that we have no permission to connect!

I went to 192.168.1.8 and connected and was able to display MP4
videos using VLC that I must have installed a few months ago. I am
not familiar with the Mac and was not able to get it to work with
some .flv files with VLC or another program that keeps popping up, I
forget what it's called.

So the nature of the problem changes. I need to learn how to convert
.flv to .mp4 with ffmpeg which it seems is supposed to be able to do
that but I haven't had much success. Firefox has an add-on
"dwhelper" that will sometimes convert and save a video file as mp4,
it hasn't worked reliably for me though, I had no success saving
.flv as mp4.

So that's where I stand now, just wanted to explain. Thanks to all,

Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box7