Old 09-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default Knode sync

Is there any way of synchronising Knode clients on different laptops,
so that the same posts are marked as read on different machines?
At present I keep a copy of ~/.kde/share/apps/knode/ on a server,
and copy this to whatever laptop I am using.
This works, but is not completely satisfactory.

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 09-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Tim

On Tue, 2012-09-11 at 13:59 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Is there any way of synchronising Knode clients on different laptops,
> so that the same posts are marked as read on different machines?
> At present I keep a copy of ~/.kde/share/apps/knode/ on a server,

One approach: Run knode on the server, access it over SSH.

Simple, brute force, effective.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Timothy Murphy

Tim wrote:

>> Is there any way of synchronising Knode clients on different laptops,
>> so that the same posts are marked as read on different machines?
>> At present I keep a copy of ~/.kde/share/apps/knode/ on a server,

> One approach: Run knode on the server, access it over SSH.
>
> Simple, brute force, effective.

Thanks for your response.

But when I run knode on my server through ssh I get the error
-------------------------------
[tim@rose ~]$ ssh grover knode
<unknown program name>(26507)/: Cannot find the D-Bus session server
-------------------------------
However, if I just run "ssh grover"
and then run knode on grover, all works fine.

Am I meant to register knode in akonadi, or take some other action?

Old 09-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Tim

Tim:
>> One approach: Run knode on the server, access it over SSH.
>>
>> Simple, brute force, effective.

Timothy Murphy:
> when I run knode on my server through ssh I get the error
> -------------------------------
> [tim@rose ~]$ ssh grover knode
> <unknown program name>(26507)/: Cannot find the D-Bus session server
> -------------------------------
> However, if I just run "ssh grover"
> and then run knode on grover, all works fine.

Try using -x or -y options with the ssh command. It's the usual culprit
when you want to use a graphical tool over ssh.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Timothy Murphy

Tim wrote:

>>> One approach: Run knode on the server, access it over SSH.
>>>
>>> Simple, brute force, effective.

>> when I run knode on my server through ssh I get the error
>> -------------------------------
>> [tim@rose ~]$ ssh grover knode
>> <unknown program name>(26507)/: Cannot find the D-Bus session server
>> -------------------------------
>> However, if I just run "ssh grover"
>> and then run knode on grover, all works fine.

> Try using -x or -y options with the ssh command. It's the usual culprit
> when you want to use a graphical tool over ssh.

Thank you very much.
You were quite right - after changing the command to
ssh -Y grover knode
all works well.

I'm using this method now, with a KDE button
(created by right-clicking on the K icon)
to start knode on my server.

There are one or two quirks to iron out,
but they are probably due to the fact that knode is running under CentOS,
the OS of my server.