Old 09-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Tom Horsley

Default gparted question

We just replaced a small disk that was going bad with
a bigger disk that the IT department cloned from
the smaller disk. It works fine, but the partition
table (naturally) doesn't know anything about the
additional space.

If I boot the system from a live CD, can I just tell
gparted to grow the extended partition all the way to the
end of the new disk? (Then I'd have free space I could
use to create a new logical partition).

Or is that too easy, and something I can't think of
might go horribly wrong (which is why I ask :-)?

Old 09-11-2012, 05:50 AM
Heinz Diehl

On 11.09.2012, Tom Horsley wrote:

> Or is that too easy, and something I can't think of
> might go horribly wrong (which is why I ask :-)?

The only thing I can think of by now is something like WDs "advanced
format", that the drive uses 512/4096 sectorsize. If the partition is
properly aligned, you should grow your partition to a size which is
divisible by 4096. You can check that with "fdisk -c -u" or simply by
counting: "cat /dev/your_partition | wc -c".

If your admin did a clone copy on such a disk, it's likely that all
partitions on it are misaligned. In this case, you'll have to
re-partition the whole disk. You should at least check.