Old 09-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Sophie Sperner

Default Post install customization

Dear all,

I managed to edit menu items by hand and I liked that kind of exercise.

Now, I did yum remove gnome-online-accounts but the item "Online
Accounts" is still appearing in the user menu on the right side of the
gnome panel when you click the quick-quit button. I thought a little and did (with intent to hide the "Online Accounts" using already installed extension that works with the user menu):

cd ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/Shut_Down_Menu@rmy.pobox.com/
vim extension.js
Then I found in the code these lines and added the commented code:

fakeUpdateSuspendOrPowerOff = function() {
this._haveSuspend = false;
this._suspendOrPowerOffItem.updateText(_f("Shut Down..."), null);
// this._haveOnlineAccounts = false;
// this._onlineAccountsItem.updateText("Online Accounts2", null);
// this._onlineAccountsItem = null;
}
But when I restart the shell (Alt-F2-r) the Online Accounts item does not disappear.

The problem is that I do not know which properties has this object and so maybe I'm wrong with guessing names (I also tried _haveAccounts and _accounts).

Could you please help me in removing the "Online Accounts" from the user menu?

With love.
--
Yours,
Sophie

Old 09-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2012-09-10 at 10:41 +0100, Sophie Sperner wrote:
> Now, I did *yum remove gnome-online-accounts* but the item "Online
> Accounts" is still appearing in the user menu on the right side of the
> gnome panel when you click the quick-quit button. I thought a little
> and did (with intent to hide the "Online Accounts" using already
> installed extension that works with the user menu):
>
> cd ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/Shut_Down_Menu@rmy.pobox.com/
> vim extension.js

For what it's worth, when you yum install or remove something, that
takes care of the files that are installed in the system. It doesn't
touch anything in your user homespace (i.e. inside ~/ is yours, not
theirs).

I can't directly help with your problem, as I've not dabbled in that
area. But you could try creating another test user account, and seeing
what's in that extension.js file, inside their account.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Sophie Sperner

Dear,

I'm not going to create new accounts and migrate configuration. I need to fix the problem from within my single account.

The only thing I need is to find the appropriate file to hide the "Online Accounts" user menu item.

If someone know, please tell me.

On 10 September 2012 12:25, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

On Mon, 2012-09-10 at 10:41 +0100, Sophie Sperner wrote:

> Now, I did *yum remove gnome-online-accounts* but the item "Online

> Accounts" is still appearing in the user menu on the right side of the

> gnome panel when you click the quick-quit button. I thought a little

> and did (with intent to hide the "Online Accounts" using already

> installed extension that works with the user menu):

> cd ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/Shut_Down_Menu@rmy.pobox.com/

> vim extension.js

For what it's worth, when you yum install or remove something, that

takes care of the files that are installed in the system. *It doesn't

touch anything in your user homespace (i.e. inside ~/ is yours, not

theirs).

I can't directly help with your problem, as I've not dabbled in that

area. *But you could try creating another test user account, and seeing

what's in that extension.js file, inside their account.

--

[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r

2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. *I

Old 09-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Ed Greshko

On 09/10/2012 07:53 PM, Sophie Sperner wrote:
> 'm not going to create new accounts and migrate configuration. I need to fix the problem from within my single account.
>
> The only thing I need is to find the appropriate file to hide the "Online Accounts" user menu item.
>
> If someone know, please tell me.

I think you mis-read what Tim is suggesting. He isn't suggesting any sort of migration....

What he has said is the configuration files under ~/ are created when you first login as a new user. Removing a package won't delete information under that.

So....create a new user....see how that differs from your file (assuming the behavior is as you want it)...change your file....delete the new user.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Sophie Sperner

The problem is that I do not know in which file the "Online Accounts" is stored )))

Old 09-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Suvayu Ali

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 01:35:52PM +0100, Sophie Sperner wrote:
> The problem is that I do not know in which file the "Online Accounts" is stored
> )))

You could give the following a try to locate the file:

$ grep -i -e online -r ~/.config ~/.local

GL

--
Suvayu

Old 09-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Sophie Sperner

Thank you for this command. Now I want to show you that I found some suspicious file that I might have investigated, which is not in the /home/myself/ (either ~/.local or ~/.config)... directory, but in the system directory which comes together with the installation:

[sophie@lyon ~]$ grep -i -e online -r /usr/share/gnome-shell/
/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/notificationDaemon.js:************* hints['category'] == 'presence.online' ||
/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/telepathyClient.js:*********** msg = _("%s is online.").format(title);

/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/telepathyClient.js:******************* _("%s would like permission to see when you are online").format(contact.get_alias()),
/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/userMenu.js:******* item = new PopupMenu.PopupMenuItem(_("Online Accounts"));

/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/userMenu.js:******* item.connect('activate', Lang.bind(this, this._onOnlineAccountsActivate));
/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/userMenu.js:*************************** _("Notifications are now disabled, including chat messages. Your online status has been adjusted to let others know that you might not see their messages."));

/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/userMenu.js:*** _onOnlineAccountsActivate: function() {
/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/userMenu.js:******* let app = Shell.AppSystem.get_default().lookup_setting('gnom e-online-accounts-panel.desktop');

/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/userMenu.js is what I want.

--
Yours,
Sophie

Old 09-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Suvayu Ali

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 03:41:49PM +0100, Sophie Sperner wrote:
> Cool, so I fixed my problem. Do you know though how to create my own extension
> which will just hide the Online Accounts item because I guess my change will be
> overridden when I update my Fedora system and thus system files including
> userMenu.js

Sorry, I do no know any javascript. OTOH, maybe you can overload the
call to the pop up menu by something that does it your way?

GL

--
Suvayu