FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-08-2012, 11:12 AM
JD
 
Default preserving partitions during reinstall

On 09/09/2012 12:33 PM, Dave Mitchell wrote:

I just did a re-install of a F14 system to bring it up to F17.
I wanted to keep the separate /home partition untouched (i.e. keep the
data), but there didn't seem to be any option to achieve this in the
installer. None of the options seemed to be able to recognise or preserve
the partitioning info within the encrypted LVM volume (as originally set
up by the F13 installer, then unchanged after a F14 upgrade).

Am I missing something, or is this a bug. (This is mostly academic for me
now, as in the end, I backed-up, installed, and restored).

This was my original layout on a single disk system:

sda1 ext4 500 Mb /boot
sda2 LVM PV 113972 Mb vg_pigeon (encrypted)

vg_pigeon:
lv_root: ext4 13024 Mb /
lv_swap: swap 2048 Mb (swap)
lv_home: ext4 98880 Mb /home




During the phase when all partitions are listed, select the partition
you wish mounted as, say... /home
In the gui there is n entry where it says
mount as .. and you fill the blank..
Be sure you DO NOT SELECT TO HAVE IT FORMATTED!!!

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-08-2012, 04:32 PM
JD
 
Default preserving partitions during reinstall

On 09/09/2012 01:22 PM, Dave Mitchell wrote:

On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 05:12:31AM -0600, JD wrote:

On 09/09/2012 12:33 PM, Dave Mitchell wrote:

I just did a re-install of a F14 system to bring it up to F17.
I wanted to keep the separate /home partition untouched (i.e. keep the
data), but there didn't seem to be any option to achieve this in the
installer. None of the options seemed to be able to recognise or preserve
the partitioning info within the encrypted LVM volume (as originally set
up by the F13 installer, then unchanged after a F14 upgrade).

Am I missing something, or is this a bug. (This is mostly academic for me
now, as in the end, I backed-up, installed, and restored).

This was my original layout on a single disk system:

sda1 ext4 500 Mb /boot
sda2 LVM PV 113972 Mb vg_pigeon (encrypted)

vg_pigeon:
lv_root: ext4 13024 Mb /
lv_swap: swap 2048 Mb (swap)
lv_home: ext4 98880 Mb /home




During the phase when all partitions are listed, select the partition
you wish mounted as, say... /home
In the gui there is n entry where it says
mount as .. and you fill the blank..
Be sure you DO NOT SELECT TO HAVE IT FORMATTED!!!

Perhaps I need to clarify a bit. Under none of the five-or-so install
options, did it recognise any of the partitions within vg_pigeon;
under the options that kept the volume group vg_pigeon, it suggested 3 new
partitions for /, /home and swap, none of which were the same size as the
original partitions, and *didn't* give the option of skipping formatting.

So at no point was a I presented with a /home patititon that matched the
alignment of the existing partition, and where I could unselect 'format'.


So, per your original posting, which shows

sda2 LVM PV 113972 Mb

vg_pigeon (encrypted) vg_pigeon:
lv_root: ext4 13024 Mb /
lv_swap: swap 2048 Mb (swap)
lv_home: ext4 98880 Mb /home

have the wrong values for fs type and partition size?
Could Anaconda installer be screwing up so badly?

Why dont you use the lvm and vg.... commands
to show some info about the volume groups and compare the displayed
partition sizes with what Anaconda shows?

Also, there is no option to skip formatting. Formatting is done
iff (i.e if and only if) it is selcted with some particular FS type).
If it is not selcted (left blank) no formatting will be done.


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Dave Mitchell
 
Default preserving partitions during reinstall

I just did a re-install of a F14 system to bring it up to F17.
I wanted to keep the separate /home partition untouched (i.e. keep the
data), but there didn't seem to be any option to achieve this in the
installer. None of the options seemed to be able to recognise or preserve
the partitioning info within the encrypted LVM volume (as originally set
up by the F13 installer, then unchanged after a F14 upgrade).

Am I missing something, or is this a bug. (This is mostly academic for me
now, as in the end, I backed-up, installed, and restored).

This was my original layout on a single disk system:

sda1 ext4 500 Mb /boot
sda2 LVM PV 113972 Mb vg_pigeon (encrypted)

vg_pigeon:
lv_root: ext4 13024 Mb /
lv_swap: swap 2048 Mb (swap)
lv_home: ext4 98880 Mb /home



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Dave Mitchell
 
Default preserving partitions during reinstall

On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 05:12:31AM -0600, JD wrote:
>
> On 09/09/2012 12:33 PM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> >I just did a re-install of a F14 system to bring it up to F17.
> >I wanted to keep the separate /home partition untouched (i.e. keep the
> >data), but there didn't seem to be any option to achieve this in the
> >installer. None of the options seemed to be able to recognise or preserve
> >the partitioning info within the encrypted LVM volume (as originally set
> >up by the F13 installer, then unchanged after a F14 upgrade).
> >
> >Am I missing something, or is this a bug. (This is mostly academic for me
> >now, as in the end, I backed-up, installed, and restored).
> >
> >This was my original layout on a single disk system:
> >
> > sda1 ext4 500 Mb /boot
> > sda2 LVM PV 113972 Mb vg_pigeon (encrypted)
> >
> > vg_pigeon:
> > lv_root: ext4 13024 Mb /
> > lv_swap: swap 2048 Mb (swap)
> > lv_home: ext4 98880 Mb /home
> >
> >
> >
> During the phase when all partitions are listed, select the partition
> you wish mounted as, say... /home
> In the gui there is n entry where it says
> mount as .. and you fill the blank..
> Be sure you DO NOT SELECT TO HAVE IT FORMATTED!!!

Perhaps I need to clarify a bit. Under none of the five-or-so install
options, did it recognise any of the partitions within vg_pigeon;
under the options that kept the volume group vg_pigeon, it suggested 3 new
partitions for /, /home and swap, none of which were the same size as the
original partitions, and *didn't* give the option of skipping formatting.

So at no point was a I presented with a /home patititon that matched the
alignment of the existing partition, and where I could unselect 'format'.

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Dave Mitchell
 
Default preserving partitions during reinstall

On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 10:32:16AM -0600, JD wrote:
>
> On 09/09/2012 01:22 PM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> >On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 05:12:31AM -0600, JD wrote:
> >>On 09/09/2012 12:33 PM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> >>>I just did a re-install of a F14 system to bring it up to F17.
> >>>I wanted to keep the separate /home partition untouched (i.e. keep the
> >>>data), but there didn't seem to be any option to achieve this in the
> >>>installer. None of the options seemed to be able to recognise or preserve
> >>>the partitioning info within the encrypted LVM volume (as originally set
> >>>up by the F13 installer, then unchanged after a F14 upgrade).
> >>>
> >>>Am I missing something, or is this a bug. (This is mostly academic for me
> >>>now, as in the end, I backed-up, installed, and restored).
> >>>
> >>>This was my original layout on a single disk system:
> >>>
> >>> sda1 ext4 500 Mb /boot
> >>> sda2 LVM PV 113972 Mb vg_pigeon (encrypted)
> >>>
> >>> vg_pigeon:
> >>> lv_root: ext4 13024 Mb /
> >>> lv_swap: swap 2048 Mb (swap)
> >>> lv_home: ext4 98880 Mb /home
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>During the phase when all partitions are listed, select the partition
> >>you wish mounted as, say... /home
> >>In the gui there is n entry where it says
> >>mount as .. and you fill the blank..
> >>Be sure you DO NOT SELECT TO HAVE IT FORMATTED!!!
> >Perhaps I need to clarify a bit. Under none of the five-or-so install
> >options, did it recognise any of the partitions within vg_pigeon;
> >under the options that kept the volume group vg_pigeon, it suggested 3 new
> >partitions for /, /home and swap, none of which were the same size as the
> >original partitions, and *didn't* give the option of skipping formatting.
> >
> >So at no point was a I presented with a /home patititon that matched the
> >alignment of the existing partition, and where I could unselect 'format'.
> >
> So, per your original posting, which shows
>
> sda2 LVM PV 113972 Mb
>
> vg_pigeon (encrypted) vg_pigeon:
> lv_root: ext4 13024 Mb /
> lv_swap: swap 2048 Mb (swap)
> lv_home: ext4 98880 Mb /home
>
> have the wrong values for fs type and partition size?
> Could Anaconda installer be screwing up so badly?

I don't understand what you are referring to. Those are my
hand-transcribed notes of the values I entered during the F13 install,
and also reflect the same choices I made during the F17 install. All the
fs types and sizes as written above reflect (sane) reality.

> Why dont you use the lvm and vg.... commands
> to show some info about the volume groups and compare the displayed
> partition sizes with what Anaconda shows?

The point is that *none* of the Ananconda install options:
Use all space
Replace Existing Linux System(s)
Shrink current system
use Free space
Create custom layout
will read the existing partitioning of vg_pigeon and present that to you
as a default; they all either suggest a completely new set of defaults, or
in the case of custom, present no defaults at all.

Or to put it another way, missing from that list of install options above,
seems to be:
Keep existing Linux partitioning

>> Also, there is no option to skip formatting. Formatting is done
> iff (i.e if and only if) it is selcted with some particular FS type).
> If it is not selcted (left blank) no formatting will be done.

On the "Use all space" / "Replace Existing Linux System(s)", the suggested
filesystem type menu doesn't have a 'blank' option, nor is there a tickbox
to the left of the filesystem menu to allow you to unselect creating a
filesystem (there *is* such a tickbox when going via "Create custom
layout").

--
"Procrastination grows to fill the available time"
-- Mitchell's corollary to Parkinson's Law
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Suvayu Ali
 
Default preserving partitions during reinstall

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:08:47PM +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:
>
> The point is that *none* of the Ananconda install options:
> Use all space
> Replace Existing Linux System(s)
> Shrink current system
> use Free space
> Create custom layout
> will read the existing partitioning of vg_pigeon and present that to you
> as a default; they all either suggest a completely new set of defaults, or
> in the case of custom, present no defaults at all.
>
> Or to put it another way, missing from that list of install options above,
> seems to be:
> Keep existing Linux partitioning
>

You say your original partitioning was custom partitioning, then how do
you expect Anaconda will figure it out without help? The way to do what
you want would be to enter custom partitioning, not delete any of the
existing partitions, specify the appropriate mount points (again only
you know this, no way Anaconda can figure this out), and then continue
with your upgrade as usual.

--
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Rick Stevens
 
Default preserving partitions during reinstall

On 09/10/2012 03:47 PM, Suvayu Ali uttered this comment:

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:08:47PM +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:


The point is that *none* of the Ananconda install options:
Use all space
Replace Existing Linux System(s)
Shrink current system
use Free space
Create custom layout
will read the existing partitioning of vg_pigeon and present that to you
as a default; they all either suggest a completely new set of defaults, or
in the case of custom, present no defaults at all.

Or to put it another way, missing from that list of install options above,
seems to be:
Keep existing Linux partitioning



You say your original partitioning was custom partitioning, then how do
you expect Anaconda will figure it out without help? The way to do what
you want would be to enter custom partitioning, not delete any of the
existing partitions, specify the appropriate mount points (again only
you know this, no way Anaconda can figure this out), and then continue
with your upgrade as usual.


IIRC, "Replace Existing Linux System(s)" will keep the existing
partitioning. It just replaces the OS--assuming it'll fit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital ricks@alldigital.com -
- AIM/Skype: therps2 ICQ: 22643734 Yahoo: origrps2 -
- -
- Tempt not the dragons of fate, since thou art crunchy and taste -
- good with ketchup. -
----------------------------------------------------------------------
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-11-2012, 06:48 AM
Suvayu Ali
 
Default preserving partitions during reinstall

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 04:17:43PM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 09/10/2012 03:47 PM, Suvayu Ali uttered this comment:
> >
> >You say your original partitioning was custom partitioning, then how do
> >you expect Anaconda will figure it out without help? The way to do what
> >you want would be to enter custom partitioning, not delete any of the
> >existing partitions, specify the appropriate mount points (again only
> >you know this, no way Anaconda can figure this out), and then continue
> >with your upgrade as usual.
>
> IIRC, "Replace Existing Linux System(s)" will keep the existing
> partitioning. It just replaces the OS--assuming it'll fit.

You are probably right; but I think it does that only if you have a /,
/home and maybe /boot. But if you have other non-standard stuff maybe
not.

--
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Dave Mitchell
 
Default preserving partitions during reinstall

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 12:47:25AM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:08:47PM +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> >
> > The point is that *none* of the Ananconda install options:
> > Use all space
> > Replace Existing Linux System(s)
> > Shrink current system
> > use Free space
> > Create custom layout
> > will read the existing partitioning of vg_pigeon and present that to you
> > as a default; they all either suggest a completely new set of defaults, or
> > in the case of custom, present no defaults at all.
> >
> > Or to put it another way, missing from that list of install options above,
> > seems to be:
> > Keep existing Linux partitioning
> >
>
> You say your original partitioning was custom partitioning, then how do
> you expect Anaconda will figure it out without help? The way to do what
> you want would be to enter custom partitioning, not delete any of the
> existing partitions, specify the appropriate mount points (again only
> you know this, no way Anaconda can figure this out), and then continue
> with your upgrade as usual.

Sigh.. Let me repeat myself again.

I expect an option within anaconda that will *inspect* the existing
partitioning layout of a device, and present that to me as the new
default. Anaconda has the ability to examine the vg_pigeon device, and
see that there are 3 partitions on it, last mounted as /, /home and swap.

*None* of the options, including custom, present me with the original
partition sizes. The best I could do in principle would be, before the
reinstall, to note the existing partition dimensions, then in anaconda,
manually create 3 partitions on the cg_pigeon device, not format the one
corresponding to /home, then hope and pray that when I specify /home as
being XXXMb, that anaconda treats this in the same way as before in terms
or rounding to nearest cylinder etc.

Or to come at the question from another angle:

I have a system with a reasonably straightforward layout:
1 disk, split into two physical partitions; the first holds /boot, the
2nd is an encrypted LVM volume that has 3 partitions: /, swap /home.
I want to install a new release of the OS (overwriting / and /boot), while
preserving /home. How can I do that in a simple and safe manner?

--
The Enterprise successfully ferries an alien VIP from one place to another
without serious incident.
-- Things That Never Happen in "Star Trek" #7
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Suvayu Ali
 
Default preserving partitions during reinstall

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 11:39:23AM +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:
>
> I expect an option within anaconda that will *inspect* the existing
> partitioning layout of a device, and present that to me as the new
> default. Anaconda has the ability to examine the vg_pigeon device, and
> see that there are 3 partitions on it, last mounted as /, /home and swap.
>

Doesn't Rick's response say you get that option when you choose "Replace
Existing Linux System(s)"? I do not have an optical drive, so I can't
really boot and check. Or could it be that Anaconda has problems
because your LVM is encrypted?

> Or to come at the question from another angle:
>
> I have a system with a reasonably straightforward layout:
> 1 disk, split into two physical partitions; the first holds /boot, the
> 2nd is an encrypted LVM volume that has 3 partitions: /, swap /home.
> I want to install a new release of the OS (overwriting / and /boot), while
> preserving /home. How can I do that in a simple and safe manner?
>

Again, maybe the fact that the LVM is ecrypted is preventing Anaconda
from seeing the existing partition sizes under "Create custom layout"
also. I say this because, I always use the custom layout option and as
far as I recall Anaconda shows me existing partitions, and I can choose
to edit/delete them. So if I leave the same partitioning scheme, all I
need to do is specify the appropriate mount points.

Hope this is clearer.

--
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:26 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org