Old 09-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default preserving partitions during reinstall

On Tue, 2012-09-11 at 11:39 +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 12:47:25AM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:08:47PM +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> > >
> > > The point is that *none* of the Ananconda install options:
> > > Use all space
> > > Replace Existing Linux System(s)
> > > Shrink current system
> > > use Free space
> > > Create custom layout
> > > will read the existing partitioning of vg_pigeon and present that to you
> > > as a default; they all either suggest a completely new set of defaults, or
> > > in the case of custom, present no defaults at all.
> > >
> > > Or to put it another way, missing from that list of install options above,
> > > seems to be:
> > > Keep existing Linux partitioning
> > >

> > You say your original partitioning was custom partitioning, then how do
> > you expect Anaconda will figure it out without help? The way to do what
> > you want would be to enter custom partitioning, not delete any of the
> > existing partitions, specify the appropriate mount points (again only
> > you know this, no way Anaconda can figure this out), and then continue
> > with your upgrade as usual.
>
> Sigh.. Let me repeat myself again.
>
> I expect an option within anaconda that will *inspect* the existing
> partitioning layout of a device, and present that to me as the new
> default. Anaconda has the ability to examine the vg_pigeon device, and
> see that there are 3 partitions on it, last mounted as /, /home and swap.
>
> *None* of the options, including custom, present me with the original
> partition sizes. The best I could do in principle would be, before the
> reinstall, to note the existing partition dimensions, then in anaconda,
> manually create 3 partitions on the cg_pigeon device, not format the one
> corresponding to /home, then hope and pray that when I specify /home as
> being XXXMb, that anaconda treats this in the same way as before in terms
> or rounding to nearest cylinder etc.
>
> Or to come at the question from another angle:
>
> I have a system with a reasonably straightforward layout:
> 1 disk, split into two physical partitions; the first holds /boot, the
> 2nd is an encrypted LVM volume that has 3 partitions: /, swap /home.
> I want to install a new release of the OS (overwriting / and /boot), while
> preserving /home. How can I do that in a simple and safe manner?
>
> --
> The Enterprise successfully ferries an alien VIP from one place to another
> without serious incident.
> -- Things That Never Happen in "Star Trek" #7

I am not sure why you could not do what you want to do with a variation
of the following process. tar up the partition you want to save before
you install the new version. Then after installation restore the saved
material using tar -k to the appropriate new partition.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2012-09-10 at 16:17 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 09/10/2012 03:47 PM, Suvayu Ali uttered this comment:
> > On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:08:47PM +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> >>
> >> The point is that *none* of the Ananconda install options:
> >> Use all space
> >> Replace Existing Linux System(s)
> >> Shrink current system
> >> use Free space
> >> Create custom layout
> >> will read the existing partitioning of vg_pigeon and present that to you
> >> as a default; they all either suggest a completely new set of defaults, or
> >> in the case of custom, present no defaults at all.
> >>
> >> Or to put it another way, missing from that list of install options above,
> >> seems to be:
> >> Keep existing Linux partitioning
> >>

> > You say your original partitioning was custom partitioning, then how do
> > you expect Anaconda will figure it out without help? The way to do what
> > you want would be to enter custom partitioning, not delete any of the
> > existing partitions, specify the appropriate mount points (again only
> > you know this, no way Anaconda can figure this out), and then continue
> > with your upgrade as usual.
>
> IIRC, "Replace Existing Linux System(s)" will keep the existing
> partitioning. It just replaces the OS--assuming it'll fit.
> -

I don't think the above is true, The home directory would also be
updated.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Dave Mitchell

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 09:04:05AM -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I am not sure why you could not do what you want to do with a variation
> of the following process. tar up the partition you want to save before
> you install the new version. Then after installation restore the saved
> material using tar -k to the appropriate new partition.

This (or something similar) is what I ended up doing.
My question to the list was how to avoid having to do that in future.
Which no-one's managed to answer yet.

--
All wight. I will give you one more chance. This time, I want to hear
no Wubens. No Weginalds. No Wudolf the wed-nosed weindeers.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Dave Mitchell

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 03:38:06PM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 11:39:23AM +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> >
> > I expect an option within anaconda that will *inspect* the existing
> > partitioning layout of a device, and present that to me as the new
> > default. Anaconda has the ability to examine the vg_pigeon device, and
> > see that there are 3 partitions on it, last mounted as /, /home and swap.
> Doesn't Rick's response say you get that option when you choose "Replace
> Existing Linux System(s)"? I do not have an optical drive, so I can't
> really boot and check. Or could it be that Anaconda has problems
> because your LVM is encrypted?

Just to be absolutely clear: on both the original system, and on a second
system (to confirm), I have very carefully gone through every partitioning
option, and checked that *none* of them recognise the existing partitions
in the encrypted volume. But note also that just before reaching that stage,
anaconda prompts me for the password for sda2, so in principle it has the
information needed to retrieve that partitioning data.

--
"Procrastination grows to fill the available time"
-- Mitchell's corollary to Parkinson's Law

Old 09-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Suvayu Ali

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 04:29:02PM +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 03:38:06PM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 11:39:23AM +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> > >
> > > I expect an option within anaconda that will *inspect* the existing
> > > partitioning layout of a device, and present that to me as the new
> > > default. Anaconda has the ability to examine the vg_pigeon device, and
> > > see that there are 3 partitions on it, last mounted as /, /home and swap.
> > Doesn't Rick's response say you get that option when you choose "Replace
> > Existing Linux System(s)"? I do not have an optical drive, so I can't
> > really boot and check. Or could it be that Anaconda has problems
> > because your LVM is encrypted?
>
> Just to be absolutely clear: on both the original system, and on a second
> system (to confirm), I have very carefully gone through every partitioning
> option, and checked that *none* of them recognise the existing partitions
> in the encrypted volume. But note also that just before reaching that stage,
> anaconda prompts me for the password for sda2, so in principle it has the
> information needed to retrieve that partitioning data.

Do you have an unencrypted volume around? This could be a bug; as far
as I recall Anaconda used to have trouble with encrypted volumes
sometime in the past. This could just be a regression.

--
Suvayu

Old 09-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2012-09-11 at 16:22 +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 09:04:05AM -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > I am not sure why you could not do what you want to do with a variation
> > of the following process. tar up the partition you want to save before
> > you install the new version. Then after installation restore the saved
> > material using tar -k to the appropriate new partition.
>
> This (or something similar) is what I ended up doing.
> My question to the list was how to avoid having to do that in future.
> Which no-one's managed to answer yet.

I think that is becuse using anaconda alone it can't be done.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Roger

Doesn't Rick's response say you get that option when you choose "Replace
Existing Linux System(s)"? I do not have an optical drive, so I can't
really boot and check. Or could it be that Anaconda has problems
because your LVM is encrypted?

Just to be absolutely clear: on both the original system, and on a second
system (to confirm), I have very carefully gone through every partitioning
option, and checked that *none* of them recognise the existing partitions
in the encrypted volume. But note also that just before reaching that stage,
anaconda prompts me for the password for sda2, so in principle it has the
information needed to retrieve that partitioning data.

Do you have an unencrypted volume around? This could be a bug; as far
as I recall Anaconda used to have trouble with encrypted volumes
sometime in the past. This could just be a regression.

So what's the upshot here?
Can the vg home partition be preserved in a fresh install of Fedora 17
to replace fedora 16?

Roger