Old 09-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Ed Greshko

Default MSMTP Problem

On 09/09/2012 08:14 PM, Arthur Dent wrote:
> Well I don't know exactly how msmtp works, but I can't find any
> reference in maillog to the test outgoing mails.
>
> Here's what I have in /etc/msmtprchttp (the configuration file
> accessible by apache which I refer to in php.ini:
> logfile /var/log/msmtp.log
> tls on
> tls_certcheck off
> tls_starttls off
> host smtp.blueyonder.co.uk
> from noreply@mydomain.org

Well.... msmtp is an SMTP client.

With your configuration you're sending the message to the SMTP server at smtp.blueyonder.co.uk for processing. So, the logs of what then happened would be on that machine. Which, I'm guessing, you don't have access to.

Basically, your message was sent out from your system.....but what happened to it is unknown.

You can test msmtp without using a configuration file by creating a "message" and then doing something like....

cat message | /usr/bin/msmtp --host=smtp.blueyonder.co.uk -f you@whatever.com towho@someplace.com

Old 09-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Arthur Dent

On Sun, 2012-09-09 at 20:42 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 09/09/2012 08:14 PM, Arthur Dent wrote:
> > Well I don't know exactly how msmtp works, but I can't find any
> > reference in maillog to the test outgoing mails.
> >
> > Here's what I have in /etc/msmtprchttp (the configuration file
> > accessible by apache which I refer to in php.ini:
> > logfile /var/log/msmtp.log
> > tls on
> > tls_certcheck off
> > tls_starttls off
> > host smtp.blueyonder.co.uk
> > from noreply@mydomain.org
>
> Well.... msmtp is an SMTP client.
>
> With your configuration you're sending the message to the SMTP server at smtp.blueyonder.co.uk for processing. So, the logs of what then happened would be on that machine. Which, I'm guessing, you don't have access to.
Correct...

> Basically, your message was sent out from your system.....but what happened to it is unknown.
Correct...

> You can test msmtp without using a configuration file by creating a "message" and then doing something like....
>
> cat message | /usr/bin/msmtp --host=smtp.blueyonder.co.uk -f you@whatever.com towho@someplace.com

Ha! That works! (Well sort of)...
I used the command:
cat message | /usr/bin/msmtp --host=smtp.blueyonder.co.uk -f
mark@mydomian.org fred@myotherdomain.eu (where myotherdomain.eu has a
catchall redirect the sends mail to mark@mydomain.com)

The mail came through with a "From" (and return) address of
SRS0=yLoOyU=mydomain.org=mark@myotherdomain.eu

Not quite sure how those strings came about, but at least mail gets
through.

So the question:
What settings should I be using?

On my normal mail client (Evolution) I have (as instructed by
blueyonder) got SSL on, delivering to port 465, with no authentication.
I can send mail as mark@mydomain.org, or as
misc.lists@blueyonder.etc.etc. as I am doing now.

Thanks again...

Progress at last.

Mark

Old 09-10-2012, 02:44 AM
Ed Greshko

On 09/09/2012 09:07 PM, Arthur Dent wrote:
>> > You can test msmtp without using a configuration file by creating a "message" and then doing something like....
>> >
>> > cat message | /usr/bin/msmtp --host=smtp.blueyonder.co.uk -f you@whatever.com towho@someplace.com
> Ha! That works! (Well sort of)...
> I used the command:
> cat message | /usr/bin/msmtp --host=smtp.blueyonder.co.uk -f
> mark@mydomian.org fred@myotherdomain.eu (where myotherdomain.eu has a
> catchall redirect the sends mail to mark@mydomain.com)
>
> The mail came through with a "From" (and return) address of
> SRS0=yLoOyU=mydomain.org=mark@myotherdomain.eu
>
> Not quite sure how those strings came about, but at least mail gets
> through.

Your "message" file....is it a properly formatted email message?

> So the question:
> What settings should I be using?

Not sure what you're asking there.....