-   -   MSMTP Problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/701951-msmtp-problem.html)

Arthur Dent 09-09-2012 10:28 AM

MSMTP Problem

Hello all,

Not really a Fedora problem, but the level of helpful knowledge here is
second to none :)

My fedora 17 box hosts my small family web-server. I am trying to get an
email contact form to work using php mail(). I have never had any
success with sendmail so I installed msmtp and changed php.ini to read:
sendmail_path = /bin/msmtp -t -C /etc/msmtprchttp

After much wrestling and checking of logs and fixing permissions and
selinux denials I have finally got it to the point that now the php
script gives a cheery "message sent" confirmation and this is in the
msmtp log:
Sep 09 11:10:33 host=smtp.blueyonder.co.uk tls=on auth=off from=noreply@mydomain.org recipients=mark@mydomain.org mailsize=1735 smtpstatus=250 smtpmsg='250 OK id=1TAeTJ-0004Xk-CG' exitcode=EX_OK

All seems good!

The message never arrives.

Could some kind soul point me to where I have screwed up please?

Thanks

Mark

Ed Greshko 09-09-2012 12:00 PM

MSMTP Problem

On 09/09/2012 06:28 PM, Arthur Dent wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Not really a Fedora problem, but the level of helpful knowledge here is
> second to none :)
>
> My fedora 17 box hosts my small family web-server. I am trying to get an
> email contact form to work using php mail(). I have never had any
> success with sendmail so I installed msmtp and changed php.ini to read:
> sendmail_path = /bin/msmtp -t -C /etc/msmtprchttp
>
> After much wrestling and checking of logs and fixing permissions and
> selinux denials I have finally got it to the point that now the php
> script gives a cheery "message sent" confirmation and this is in the
> msmtp log:
> Sep 09 11:10:33 host=smtp.blueyonder.co.uk tls=on auth=off from=noreply@mydomain.org recipients=mark@mydomain.org mailsize=1735 smtpstatus=250 smtpmsg='250 OK id=1TAeTJ-0004Xk-CG' exitcode=EX_OK
>
> All seems good!
>
> The message never arrives.
>
> Could some kind soul point me to where I have screwed up please

Can we assume that msmtp is sending the message to "localhost" for processing by sendmail? If so, have you checked /var/log/maillog?

Arthur Dent 09-09-2012 12:14 PM

MSMTP Problem

On Sun, 2012-09-09 at 20:00 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 09/09/2012 06:28 PM, Arthur Dent wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Not really a Fedora problem, but the level of helpful knowledge here is
> > second to none :)
> >
> > My fedora 17 box hosts my small family web-server. I am trying to get an
> > email contact form to work using php mail(). I have never had any
> > success with sendmail so I installed msmtp and changed php.ini to read:
> > sendmail_path = /bin/msmtp -t -C /etc/msmtprchttp
> >
> > After much wrestling and checking of logs and fixing permissions and
> > selinux denials I have finally got it to the point that now the php
> > script gives a cheery "message sent" confirmation and this is in the
> > msmtp log:
> > Sep 09 11:10:33 host=smtp.blueyonder.co.uk tls=on auth=off from=noreply@mydomain.org recipients=mark@mydomain.org mailsize=1735 smtpstatus=250 smtpmsg='250 OK id=1TAeTJ-0004Xk-CG' exitcode=EX_OK
> >
> > All seems good!
> >
> > The message never arrives.
> >
> > Could some kind soul point me to where I have screwed up please
>
> Can we assume that msmtp is sending the message to "localhost" for processing by sendmail? If so, have you checked /var/log/maillog?

Well I don't know exactly how msmtp works, but I can't find any
reference in maillog to the test outgoing mails.

Here's what I have in /etc/msmtprchttp (the configuration file
accessible by apache which I refer to in php.ini:
logfile /var/log/msmtp.log
tls on
tls_certcheck off
tls_starttls off