-   -   Clams..... (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/701884-clams.html)

"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr." 09-09-2012 02:37 AM

Clams.....

On 09/08/2012 10:07 PM, Doug wrote:

On 09/08/2012 09:49 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
So I've gone ahead and taken some recommendations of others here, but
here's what I get when I try to update my Clam virus definitions
files...

ERROR: Please edit the example config file /etc/freshclam.conf
ERROR: Can't open/parse the config file /etc/freshclam.conf

Is there something I'm missing here?.....shouldn't the application /
program I just downloaded be the latest version? The GUI displays
that the definitions are "Out Of Date" but when I click on the "Check
For Updates" option it goes through the motions and tells me they're
still outdated. Is there some kind of fix for this?...

Fedora 17
Gateway T6321 Laptop
3GB Memory
160 GB HDD

Thanks!

EGO II
Sorry about that! Just one time, you have to edit freshclam.conf. And
it's a snap. Open a terminal, become root. (Not sure if that's
necessary, but if it is, you've done that.) Type cd /etc (return) *
Type nano freshclam.conf (return). Right at the top, it tells you to
comment out the line below. Insert a # sign in front of the word
Example. Type Control-X, then Y.
(If you don't have nano, you probably have pico, which works about the
same.)
* If your distro allows you to use sudo, then you can do cd /etc sudo
nano freshclam.conf and go on from there.

Still pretty simple.

--doug

Interestingly enough, I don't have "nano" OR "pico"....when I try either
of those I get a "Command not found" message.....hmmm.....

EGO II

Marvin Kosmal 09-09-2012 02:45 AM

Clams.....

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr.
<eoconnor25@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/08/2012 10:07 PM, Doug wrote:
>>
>> On 09/08/2012 09:49 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
>>>
>>> So I've gone ahead and taken some recommendations of others here, but
>>> here's what I get when I try to update my Clam virus definitions files...
>>>

>>> ERROR: Please edit the example config file /etc/freshclam.conf
>>> ERROR: Can't open/parse the config file /etc/freshclam.conf
>>>
>>> Is there something I'm missing here?.....shouldn't the application /
>>> program I just downloaded be the latest version? The GUI displays that the
>>> definitions are "Out Of Date" but when I click on the "Check For Updates"
>>> option it goes through the motions and tells me they're still outdated. Is
>>> there some kind of fix for this?...
>>>
>>> Fedora 17
>>> Gateway T6321 Laptop
>>> 3GB Memory
>>> 160 GB HDD
>>>

>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> EGO II
>>
>> Sorry about that! Just one time, you have to edit freshclam.conf. And
>> it's a snap. Open a terminal, become root. (Not sure if that's necessary,
>> but if it is, you've done that.) Type cd /etc (return) *
>> Type nano freshclam.conf (return). Right at the top, it tells you to
>> comment out the line below. Insert a # sign in front of the word Example.
>> Type Control-X, then Y.
>> (If you don't have nano, you probably have pico, which works about the
>> same.)
>> * If your distro allows you to use sudo, then you can do cd /etc sudo nano
>> freshclam.conf and go on from there.
>> Still pretty simple.
>>
>> --doug
>>
> Interestingly enough, I don't have "nano" OR "pico"....when I try either of
> those I get a "Command not found" message.....hmmm.....
>

> EGO II
>
> --

HI

I think you could actually use gedit!

Do you have that?

Should be in menu list..

YMMV

Marvin

"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr." 09-09-2012 02:45 AM

Clams.....