Old 09-09-2012, 01:49 AM
"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr."

Default Clams.....

So I've gone ahead and taken some recommendations of others here, but
here's what I get when I try to update my Clam virus definitions files...

ERROR: Please edit the example config file /etc/freshclam.conf
ERROR: Can't open/parse the config file /etc/freshclam.conf

Is there something I'm missing here?.....shouldn't the application /
program I just downloaded be the latest version? The GUI displays that
the definitions are "Out Of Date" but when I click on the "Check For
Updates" option it goes through the motions and tells me they're still
outdated. Is there some kind of fix for this?...

Fedora 17
Gateway T6321 Laptop
3GB Memory
160 GB HDD

Thanks!

EGO II

Old 09-09-2012, 02:01 AM
Larry

Old 09-09-2012, 02:07 AM
Doug

So I've gone ahead and taken some recommendations of others here, but
here's what I get when I try to update my Clam virus definitions files...

ERROR: Please edit the example config file /etc/freshclam.conf
ERROR: Can't open/parse the config file /etc/freshclam.conf

Is there something I'm missing here?.....shouldn't the application /
program I just downloaded be the latest version? The GUI displays that
the definitions are "Out Of Date" but when I click on the "Check For
Updates" option it goes through the motions and tells me they're still
outdated. Is there some kind of fix for this?...

Fedora 17
Gateway T6321 Laptop
3GB Memory
160 GB HDD

Thanks!

EGO II
Sorry about that! Just one time, you have to edit freshclam.conf. And
it's a snap. Open a terminal, become root. (Not sure if that's
necessary, but if it is, you've done that.) Type cd /etc (return) *
Type nano freshclam.conf (return). Right at the top, it tells you to
comment out the line below. Insert a # sign in front of the word
Example. Type Control-X, then Y.
(If you don't have nano, you probably have pico, which works about the
same.)
* If your distro allows you to use sudo, then you can do cd /etc sudo
nano freshclam.conf and go on from there.

Still pretty simple.

--doug

Old 09-09-2012, 02:14 AM
jdow

Um, yes, edit the configuration file. I generally speaking took the default
example configuration. These are the first few lines for MY machine which
is running Scientific Linux 6.3 which is a rebuild of redHat RHEL 6.3.

===8<---
##
## Example config file for freshclam
## Please read the freshclam.conf(5) manual before editing this file.
##

# Comment or remove the line below.
#Example

# Path to the database directory.
# WARNING: It must match clamd.conf's directive!
# Default: hardcoded (depends on installation options)
DatabaseDirectory /var/clamav
===8<---

This demonstrates one of the problems Linux generically suffers in the
Desktop world. It demands too much knowledge of the internal parts
of the operating system.

{^_^}

Old 09-09-2012, 02:17 AM
"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr."