-   -   F17: power consumption on wired ethernet port (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/701870-f17-power-consumption-wired-ethernet-port.html)

fred smith 09-09-2012 01:21 AM

F17: power consumption on wired ethernet port

I've just started messing around with powertop 2.1, and I notice something
that strikes me as decidedly ODD...

On my eeepc 901, powertop reports that network interface p33p1 consumes
in the range of 5.6 to 7.7 watts, depending on factors that aren't
obvious to me.

it doesn't seem to matter if there's a cable (and resulting working
network connection) or not.

The next highest consumption devices reported are the USB network dongle
at 1.19 watts and wireless network at 1.12 watts.

5.6 watts seems AWFULLY high...

Aanybody got any insight into this? thanks!

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------
Do you not know? Have you not heard?

Rick Stevens 09-10-2012 06:52 PM

F17: power consumption on wired ethernet port

On 09/08/2012 06:21 PM, fred smith uttered this comment:

I've just started messing around with powertop 2.1, and I notice something
that strikes me as decidedly ODD...

On my eeepc 901, powertop reports that network interface p33p1 consumes
in the range of 5.6 to 7.7 watts, depending on factors that aren't
obvious to me.

Are you certain that p33p1 is the wired and not the wireless interface?
Wifi is not necessarily named wlan0 anymore. If it is the wifi, it
wouldn't surprise me with the power use. If it is the wired, well, no I
haven't any suggestions.

fred smith 09-10-2012 08:27 PM

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 11:52:04AM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 09/08/2012 06:21 PM, fred smith uttered this comment:
> >I've just started messing around with powertop 2.1, and I notice something
> >that strikes me as decidedly ODD...
> >
> >On my eeepc 901, powertop reports that network interface p33p1 consumes
> >in the range of 5.6 to 7.7 watts, depending on factors that aren't
> >obvious to me.
>
> Are you certain that p33p1 is the wired and not the wireless interface?
> Wifi is not necessarily named wlan0 anymore. If it is the wifi, it
> wouldn't surprise me with the power use. If it is the wired, well, no I
> haven't any suggestions.

ifconfig says wlan0 is currently connected to the network, while
p33p1 is not. that matches reality: my wireless IS connected, while
the hardwired is not (no cable plugged in).

I'm not sure I should trust what powertop tells me anyway: when running on
battery, the "Device Stats" page says (at the top) "the battery reports
a discharge rate of 9.26 W", just now, but the device-specific stats on
that page are showing a total of over 9.9 W. Sometimes the difference
is greater, sometimes smaller.

all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

Roberto Ragusa 09-11-2012 08:12 AM

On 09/09/2012 03:21 AM, fred smith wrote:

> On my eeepc 901, powertop reports that network interface p33p1 consumes
> in the range of 5.6 to 7.7 watts, depending on factors that aren't
> obvious to me.

This is on my F16:

16.7 W 0.0 pkts/s Device nic:virbr0

so I think powertop is seriously wrong at network interface consumption.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Sophie Sperner 09-11-2012 09:19 AM

F17: power consumption on wired ethernet port

how to unsubscribe from this mail listing? Please leave me alone.

* *Roberto Ragusa * *mail at robertoragusa.it

Yours,
Sophie

Joe Zeff 09-11-2012 09:27 AM

F17: power consumption on wired ethernet port

how to unsubscribe from this mail listing? Please leave me alone.

Instructions on how to unsubscribe will be found at the bottom of this
message.

Richard Hughes 09-11-2012 10:18 AM

F17: power consumption on wired ethernet port

On 11 September 2012 09:12, Roberto Ragusa <mail@robertoragusa.it> wrote:
> 16.7 W 0.0 pkts/s Device nic:virbr0

16 Watts seems like an order of magnitude too much, at least.

Richard.

fred smith 09-11-2012 12:50 PM

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 11:18:29AM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 11 September 2012 09:12, Roberto Ragusa <mail@robertoragusa.it> wrote:
> > 16.7 W 0.0 pkts/s Device nic:virbr0
>
> 16 Watts seems like an order of magnitude too much, at least.

I can't disagree! Even on my eeepc, which provides good battery life
(can you say 8-10 hours?) the reported power (ranging from 5.x to 7.x
watts) seems awwwwfully high.

Roberto Ragusa 09-11-2012 02:19 PM

On 09/11/2012 12:18 PM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 11 September 2012 09:12, Roberto Ragusa <mail@robertoragusa.it> wrote:
>> 16.7 W 0.0 pkts/s Device nic:virbr0
>
> 16 Watts seems like an order of magnitude too much, at least.

It is the highest reported number, almost seems to be the entire
power consumption or certainly the biggest part of it (CPU? chipset?).

The best part is that virbr0 is a *virtual* ethernet. :-)

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it