-   -   Adding fonts (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/701864-adding-fonts.html)

jonetsu 09-09-2012 12:48 AM

Adding fonts

Hello,

I'd like to know now to add fonts so that LibreOffice and Gimp can
use them. For instance, I have downloaded a HGRSKP.TTF file which is a
Japanese font. What is the procedure to make available that font in
the system ? Also, some fonts are .exe files. Are these also
installable in Fedora ?

Thanks !

Peter Gueckel 09-09-2012 04:39 AM

Adding fonts

jonetsu wrote:

> I'd like to know...

Do something like this to make the font available to all users on the system:

sudo mkdir /usr/share/fonts/ttf
sudo cp -i HGRSKP.TTF /usr/share/fonts/ttf/hgrskp.ttf
sudo chown root.root /usr/share/fonts/ttf/hgrskp.ttf
sudo chmod 644 /usr/share/fonts/ttf/hgrskp.ttf
sudo ln -s /usr/share/X11/fonts/ttf /usr/share/fonts/ttf

If only you will use it, then I believe you can simply put the font into:

/home/you/.fonts/

KDE will do this for you, under systemsettings, font management, add... I think they
should still be available under other window managers.

As for the exe files, if you have a dummy Windows system, you could extract them and
then copy then to your Fedora system.

Peter Gueckel 09-09-2012 04:45 AM

Adding fonts

Peter Gueckel wrote:

> sudo ln -s /usr/share/X11/fonts/ttf /usr/share/fonts/ttf

This line is wrong. It should be:

sudo ln -s /usr/share/fonts/ttf /etc/X11/fontpath.d/ttf

nomnex 09-09-2012 02:36 PM

Adding fonts

> On Sat, 8 Sep 2012 20:48:53 -0400
> jonetsu <jonetsu@teksavvy.com> wrote:
>

> I'd like to know now to add fonts so that LibreOffice and Gimp can

If your DE is LXDE, XFCE or Gnome,

# yum install font-manager

It will manager your font collection.

http://code.google.com/p/font-manager/

--
nomnex <nomnex@gmail.com>
Freenode: nomnex

François Patte 09-09-2012 04:32 PM

Adding fonts

jonetsu 09-10-2012 11:39 PM

Adding fonts

Le Dimanche, 09 Sep 2012 18:32:57 +0200,
François Patte <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr> a écrit :

> If you want to have any chances to make the difference between what
> comes from the distribution and what you have added, you should create
> your local font directories in /usr/local/share/fonts and be shure
> that you have a file /etc/fonts/conf.d/09-local.conf with these lines
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
> <fontconfig>
> <dir>/opt/share/fonts</dir>
> </fontconfig>
>
> If you don't have it, create it (don't forget to give the correct
> permissions.... then run
>
> fc-cache -fsv
>
> to chech, run
>
> fc-list -v | grep "name of font" (without the ")

Thanks for the hint on localisation. Indeed, this can be quite
practical when it comes to saving the fonts that were added to the
system.

But there's more to it and I'll start another thread. What I found
with the Japanese fonts that I've used is that some are directly mapped
to the keyboard keys, which does not make sense at all (at least for
romaji input which is very common - have no dedicated Japanese
keyboard) and some simply renders any character as a square.

But the method above works nicely to install localized fonts. Just
make sure that the path where the fonts are and the path referred-to in
the config file are the same ! ;-)