Old 09-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Lukáš Šembera

Default Accessing fedora on LAN by hostname

Hi all,

on my home LAN network, there are 2 fedora computers. The problem is that I'm unable to access one from the another by hostname. So, for example, when I'm mounting a NFS share, I've to use the IP address. The same issue is with ping, ssh, etc. What do I need to configure to make resolving by hostname on LAN work? Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Lukáš *embera

Old 09-08-2012, 06:43 AM
Frank Cox

On Sat, 8 Sep 2012 08:34:10 +0200
Lukáš *embera wrote:

> on my home LAN network, there are 2 fedora computers. The problem is that
> I'm unable to access one from the another by hostname. So, for example,
> when I'm mounting a NFS share, I've to use the IP address. The same issue
> is with ping, ssh, etc. What do I need to configure to make resolving by
> hostname on LAN work? Thank you very much.

man hosts

An example is included.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Lukáš Šembera

Ok, so since I don't want to have static records in /etc/hosts, it is
necessary to configure the bind daemon somehow? I want to be able to
resolve hosts by their HOSTNAME value in /etc/sysconfig/network.

Best regards,

Lukáš *embera

Old 09-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Reindl Harald

if you do not want /etc/hosts you need a DNS server

in my opinion a nameserver for TWO hostnames is wasted time
you have much more work configure a dns as with TWO text-lines

which of the two is the dns-server?
are both the dns-server with slave/master?
why so much wasted time for two computers?

Am 08.09.2012 09:20, schrieb Lukáš *embera:
> Ok, so since I don't want to have static records in /etc/hosts, it is
> necessary to configure the bind daemon somehow? I want to be able to
> resolve hosts by their HOSTNAME value in /etc/sysconfig/network.
>
> On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 8 Sep 2012 08:34:10 +0200
>> Lukáš *embera wrote:
>>
>>> on my home LAN network, there are 2 fedora computers. The problem is that
>>> I'm unable to access one from the another by hostname. So, for example,
>>> when I'm mounting a NFS share, I've to use the IP address. The same issue
>>> is with ping, ssh, etc. What do I need to configure to make resolving by
>>> hostname on LAN work? Thank you very much.
>>
>> man hosts
>>
>> An example is included.
>>
>> --
>> MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Real D 3D Digital Cinema ~ www.melvilletheatre.com
>> www.creekfm.com - FIFTY THOUSAND WATTS of POW WOW POWER!
>> --

Reindl Harald
the lounge interactive design GmbH
A-1060 Vienna, Hofmühlgasse 17
CTO / CISO / Software-Development
p: +43 (1) 595 3999 33, m: +43 (676) 40 221 40
icq: 154546673, http://www.thelounge.net/

http://www.thelounge.net/signature.asc.what.htm

Old 09-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Tim